87 Octane Ethanol free vs 89 with Ethanol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rug_Trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
1993 D-350 CTD dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Just for an FYI...non ethanol 87 is 60 cents more a gallon than ethanol 87 here in SC.
This also happened at a Sunoco station I worked. The ‘260’ tank would get some regular dumped in it now and then. Not to the extent of Hess but it happened.

I dumped 500 gal of premium in a diesel tank once. 22, or 25,000 gallon tank. Also I added 7500 gal of diesel. Never heard of it damaging any engines. My boss didn't catch it until much later. It was my fault. It was a Hess tank. I'm sure there was a truck dumping diesel in there withing an hour or so. I guess it lowered emissions and the trucks ran really good! :Insane:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only Ethanol free fuel that I have access to is 87 octane. Is it better to run 87 octane Ethanol free than 89 octane with ethanol?
Today's vehicles can and do preignite and you never even hear it at lower, albeit, destructive levels. I currently have a car in my shop that the customer put a hole in a piston due to preignition. He never heard ANY clatter that would indicate there was a problem. He could have avoided this expensive problem by running what the manufacturer requires as minimum octane fuelfor this car. Jumping over a dollar to pick up a penny just never works!

I recommend you run the proper RMS octane regardless of ethanol and add Sea Foam every 4th tankful... BTW, ethanol boosts octane!

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey everyone, I know this is an old thread. Thought I'd add to it. I run 88 ethanol free in my 2006 dodge 1500 5.7 hemi. Not for any performance benefits. But because my truck is not a daily. It only sees maybe 3000 a year. Ethanol is hydroscopic. So it absorbs moisture in air. That moisture is what eats away at carbs in small engines. Eventually clogging them. I don't want a fuel in my truck that absorbs moisture. Ethanol free fuel will stay better longer, because it isn't absorbing moisture. Your fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel injections all will benefit from having no moisture. NOW!! If you daily drive your truck. It wouldn't matter if you used ethanol based fuels or ethanol free. On a daily driven truck, the fuel isn't in your tank long enough to absorb enough moisture to even matter. It probably doesn't absorb any to be honest. I would highly recommend ethanol free fuel for trucks that SIT most of the time. That's where its gonna benefit you. Just some insight on that, also. Using fuel stabilizers help, but they only help to some extend. The best way to stabilizer fuel is to eliminate the ethanal.