8HP70 access/inspection plate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious - is there an inspection or access plate on the RAM 1500 with 8HP70? Something that you can remove to see the torque converter/mounting bolts (like old school transmissions)

Wondering if a rattle noise I hear under acceleration could be a loose TC but dont see much in the service manual about inspecting the TC without removing the whole trans.

Thanks.

-Chris

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Curious - is there an inspection or access plate on the RAM 1500 with 8HP70? Something that you can remove to see the torque converter/mounting bolts (like old school transmissions)

Wondering if a rattle noise I hear under acceleration could be a loose TC but dont see much in the service manual about inspecting the TC without removing the whole trans.

Thanks.

-Chris

There is a front plate under the convertor that you can remove.It's easy to remove if your only 2wheel drive,a little more difficult to remove if your truck is a 4X4,but still removable.You have to pull it to get to the convertor bolts if you're pulling the tranny,with it out of the way you can get to the convertor bolts.There's 3 pairs of bolts on the convertor.

OP
OP
C

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a front plate under the convertor that you can remove.It's easy to remove if your only 2wheel drive,a little more difficult to remove if your truck is a 4X4,but still removable.You have to pull it to get to the convertor bolts if you're pulling the tranny,with it out of the way you can get to the convertor bolts.There's 3 pairs of bolts on the convertor.

Is it behind the starter? I did find a reference to removing the starter to get to the torque converter bolts, still nothing about an access plate (Im guessing the starter *is* essentially the access plate?)

fghtlm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi v8
I have a 2014 , 1500. with the 8 hp70.
and have the shudder when shifting from 1 to2 and 2 to3, at low speed.
doesn't do it when cold, but after 10 min. always does it. took it to ds. they couldn't find anything but said best guess was solenoid and wanted to replace valve body for $1600.
does any body have a clue what this problem is? I've seen this same thing posted in forums dating no back 4 years, but see no answers.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Mine was a little too firm for 2-1 at real low speeds. All data looked good. Did a quick learn & issue pretty much hasn't happened since.

Some of the earlier 8 speeds dont have the option to quick learn. If so, have adaptive values reset & drive normal for few days

Funkychateau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve had the same issue for the past two or three years on my 2014. Shuddering on gentle upshifts in lower gears, getting progressively worse. Tach shows engine speed up during shudder.

What is a “quick learn”, and how do you do it?

Thanks!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I’ve had the same issue for the past two or three years on my 2014. Shuddering on gentle upshifts in lower gears, getting progressively worse. Tach shows engine speed up during shudder.

What is a “quick learn”, and how do you do it?

Thanks!

Hi @Funkychateau - We recommend following up with your local Ram dealer for further support if you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members. We are always a PM away to provide additional support.

Mark
RamCares

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Mine was caused by a broken up cat internally. It rattles when you first start it up until all the pieces have settled. Then when you start it up the next day after it cools it does it again.

Note: this is on my 1998 2nd gen, not the 2018 4th gen.