8HP70 Extension Housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

53Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Short story .. putting almost everything from a 2013 Ram 1500 into a 53 Ford Customline. Trying to find the extension housing (from a truck due to live axle) and slip yoke from a 2wd 8HP70 so I can use it. Seems only unicorns carry these.. Have the xfr case and front driveshaft from the 4x4 setup but have no need for it.
Need help.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have you tried searching using: http://www.car-part.com
Even Canadian Zip Codes work but it may be cheaper to make a run over the boarder.

OP
OP
53Ram

53Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMG_20190406_205853.jpg IMG_20190330_081944.jpg Just tried it, can't see what I am looking for on there unfortunately.
I've had 2 dealerships and many tranny shops laugh about trying to find one. Ideally, if someone had a 2wd trans and wanted to go 4x4, I'd swap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
53Ram

53Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Motor mounts showed up for my Franke Hemi!
From Speedway Motors

IMG_20190329_164322.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have you considered trying to sell your 4wd trans and picking up a used 2wd? Is there a way to gut the transfer case and just use it as a tailshaft extension?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
,he's based out of Seattle so not all that far from you
Short story .. putting almost everything from a 2013 Ram 1500 into a 53 Ford Customline. Trying to find the extension housing (from a truck due to live axle) and slip yoke from a 2wd 8HP70 so I can use it. Seems only unicorns carry these.. Have the xfr case and front driveshaft from the 4x4 setup but have no need for it.
Need help.

There is no slip yoke extension housing with the 2 wd 8HP70.The slip yoke is in the driveshaft itself.Only the 4X4's use a normal slip yoke and it's in the T-case as you've discovered.
Your best bet would be to build a center/steady bearing mount and use a 2 piece driveshaft with the slip yoke at the center/steady bearing.If you're on facebook,hunt up NADodge 2.0 and tag a young guy named Steven Cooper,he's spent a pile of money and time getting a custom built driveshaft for his 2wd 8 speed equipped R/T.He's probably your best bet to help you out.DSS builds a custom shaft for the 2wd RCSB's,but apparently it has issues with breaking the transmission case,but they're another one to talk to.The 2wheel drive 8 speed is a unicorn when it comes to a driveshaft,as it uses a flange on the output side of the tranny,and has no slip yoke provision. You might be better off keeping the transfer case,as then any driveshaft shop can build you a driveshaft.
For programming the tranny to the truck talk to Russell at Sound German,he's been putting the 8 speed in vehicles never equipped with the transmission.He's based out of Seattle,so if you're in southern B.C,he's not all that far away from you.

http://soundgermanautomotive.com/?f...DN23xT_1zd0vupKxPAi1tc0ObhyTGJEUcY7wVKZrlrdgU

Steven Cooper is over in Saskatoon so he's also Canuck based

https://www.facebook.com/groups/373004580188289/

Last edited:
OP
OP
53Ram

53Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a great lead to follow!! Thank you! Hopefully he has access to the extension housing as well to complete the tranny case.
Thank you!

OP
OP
53Ram

53Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you considered trying to sell your 4wd trans and picking up a used 2wd? Is there a way to gut the transfer case and just use it as a tailshaft extension?

If I could find one, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's a good idea about using it as an extension, I'd the xfr case ends up sitting I may just fab something like that.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's a great lead to follow!! Thank you! Hopefully he has access to the extension housing as well to complete the tranny case.
Thank you!

The 2 wheel drives with no slip yoke in the tailshaft of the tranny,has *****'d a few attempts at getting a decently cheap driveshaft,lol. Cooper has found an adapter that will bolt onto the 2wh drives tranny,but it's not cheap,and you still need to come up with a slip yoke in the driveshaft itself,which I think would be easier to do,if you run a steady bearing a foot or 2 back of the tranny and incorporate the slip yoke at the steady bearing.I talked to a couple techs about gutting the T-case on my 4X4 as I don't run the front diff/driveshaft and axles in my 4X4,but they didn't think you could gut the T-case and still maintain oil flow to the upper bearings that carry the threw shaft.If you do decide to gut the T-case,make sure you let me know how you make out,as i'd gut mine in a heartbeat if it's do-able,lol.
Rick

OP
OP
53Ram

53Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
***** UPDATE *****
Need a 2wd tranny / driveshaft that'll bolt up to my motor. I have the complete 65RFE 4wd trans/xfr case and driveshafts here.

Screenshot_20190407_211247_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg