95 Diesel Interior Revamp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lucas602

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12 Valve Cummins
Greetings

Dad retired and we are bringing his old 95 back out of retirement. He has a new RV to tow around and he's already bored so he may haul some loads as well.

I am taking on the first part of the project and doing the interior, and whatever else it takes to make sure she is road worthy. Stage two is she goes to Montana and his cousin is building a new motor.

I am looking for vinyl flooring, new memory foam seat cushions, dynamat for every square inch, leather seat covers, stereo upgrade, and a train horn for good measure.

The truck has 450k miles and needs a new injector pump. I will check compression and adjust valves but dad is stuborn.

Truck is already fitted with a dump bed, alcoas, 5" exhaust, engine brake, heavy valve springs and bigger injectors. Same cousin built the previous motor and did other mods. Has a 5 speed manual with a fresh rebuild.

It has one ton springs on the back. May switch to an aluminum bed and airbags.

Dad wants to drive this truck until he dies and wants to do stuff right. Just received pictures of it loaded so that could be considered an official start. I am open to suggestions or ideas. Thank you for any help.

PS, the 2016 ram will be up for sale when we are done. 2500 4x4 diesel with a long bed

IMG_1876.JPG

Stox5225

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
You’ll find more information on Cumminsforum.com. But, I would start by saying be careful if you remove any dashboard components. The plastic can be very brittle and snap without warning.

What makes you say it needs a new injection pump? What are the issues it has? That’s a quick way to spend of 1k and these pumps (Bosch P7100 I presume) have been known to go a million miles with no issues.

For the flooring and whatnot, check out LMC, Geno’s Garage, or Rock Auto. Also, I feel Dynamat is over priced. I just redid my interior with 80 mil Noico. Huge difference from nothing. I can’t imagine Dynamat would make a noticeable difference over the Noico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They aren’t memory foam, but I recommend the seat cushions from Geno’s. Way more quality material than the factory stuff. I recently installed one in my driver seat and it was an excellent difference. Memory foam may not translate to looking very good under leather upholstery once it starts to break in. Source: I’m a former motorcycle seat maker.

OP
OP
Lucas602

Lucas602

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12 Valve Cummins
You’ll find more information on Cumminsforum.com. But, I would start by saying be careful if you remove any dashboard components. The plastic can be very brittle and snap without warning.

What makes you say it needs a new injection pump? What are the issues it has? That’s a quick way to spend of 1k and these pumps (Bosch P7100 I presume) have been known to go a million miles with no issues.

For the flooring and whatnot, check out LMC, Geno’s Garage, or Rock Auto. Also, I feel Dynamat is over priced. I just redid my interior with 80 mil Noico. Huge difference from nothing. I can’t imagine Dynamat would make a noticeable difference over the Noico.

Wow thank you guys.

So he had a Cummins mechanic test the pump and it tested weak. I mentioned the idea of pulling the injectors, adjusting the valves and testing compression, but he just wants to put a new motor in. I believe he kind of wants to restore it but not to the extent of tearing it down to the frame. He is hoping to drive it a long time. I am learning how to balance the budget with what needs to be done.

They aren’t memory foam, but I recommend the seat cushions from Geno’s. Way more quality material than the factory stuff. I recently installed one in my driver seat and it was an excellent difference. Memory foam may not translate to looking very good under leather upholstery once it starts to break in. Source: I’m a former motorcycle seat maker.

Great. I will check that out. I found leather seat covers. I also found someone in my area that can install them. I'm wondering if I will struggle and should have them do it. I know the headliner is beyond me.

So far I took it over to a heated pressure washer and cleaned it up. I put degreaser into a pump sprayer and sprayed it down, and spend an hour boiling the truck clean. Pretty satisfying.

I see it needs a tie-rods and such. I remember putting a moog kit on the truck in my profile pic. I also vaguely remember something about using 3rd gen parts that are supposed to be more robust.

It looks like the axle seals have been done a few times. On my 1st gen the inner part that the seal rides on was worn. On one side I set the seal slightly out and it held. On the other I had to do this sleeve kit to get it to seal. Wondering how it will look in there.

I also see the lower control arm bushing are shot.

All points to dropping the axle down and replacing shocks, bushings, etc.

So I think I will do the interior and front end. Then have a buddy sandblast the bed and frame, undercoat and bed line, do the body work and paint.

Here are some pics so far.

61439431492__8A895DCA-CE56-468D-9EB6-FBCBE9E22AE4.JPG 61445242830__7F7637DA-25F7-4CE4-83F0-DE4FC37F0FAD.JPG 61445285370__365624FB-A4DC-4BAE-8EF1-24737728A644.JPG IMG_3791.JPEG IMG_3795.JPEG

Stox5225

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
These pumps don’t “wear out” so to speak. They work, or they don’t. I don’t know what that mechanic means by tested weak because it’s a gear driven assembly. Sounds like he just wants to make some money off your pops.

OP
OP
Lucas602

Lucas602

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12 Valve Cummins
These pumps don’t “wear out” so to speak. They work, or they don’t. I don’t know what that mechanic means by tested weak because it’s a gear driven assembly. Sounds like he just wants to make some money off your pops.

Yeah I would suspect it just needs the injectors looked at. I would guess he told my dad that the injectors are worn. That guy is now long gone. I have recommended taking it to my favored diesel guy here that is amazing. The truck will go to his cousin that will probably talk some sense into him and put a set of injectors in. Or he will put a whole motor in, and I will ask for the old one. Ha.

Its a challenge to just remind myself he wants help with the interior and paint.

Found all these suggestions and put them on my list. Off to search for some OEM trim parts like the ashtray and cupholders.

Stox5225

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
Scrap yard or Craigslist where guys are parting out trucks will be your best bed for that stuff. Or EBay, but they’ll want an arm and a leg. I just made my cab from an extended (2 door) to a quad cab (4 door). I got all my trim parts from people off Craigslist.

OP
OP
Lucas602

Lucas602

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12 Valve Cummins
Greetings. I’m trying to jump on a good deal quickly. I have a 96 4x4 2500 and found some wheels from the same truck but a 2019.

Will they fit on ok? Pictures attached.
2e8db06068fa82a14a5a3050b6d998ba.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn