96' Headers on a 95'?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
488ci Magnum V10
I have a 1995 Ram V10. All i can seem to find are 1996 and up headers. Will these headers fit my engine? If not, what do i need to do to get them to work or is there anywhere i can buy 1994-1995 headers? Also, my truck is throwing a code for a bad o2 senor and i did replace both of them. How do I clear this code or does the truck do it automatically over time... also, could there be a signal issue with the wiring of the o2 sensors?
Thanks,
Tim

Snowmanak406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
sorry not much help on the header issue, but was the code for an upstream or a downstream sensor? one way to reset codes is to disconnect the battery and turn the key to the on position so it drains all residual electricity from the system, let that sit for about 10 minutes then reconnect. they should reset automatically if the problem was in fact fixed. also what make of o2 sensor was installed? i know these trucks are quite picky on o2 sensors and many have had problems with Bosch 02 sensors. i cant guarantee which bosch sensor it was (universal or direct OE ones) that caused problems for people. make sure the connector looks good too, these are older vehicles so corrosion is a serious factor and brittleness of plastics.
hope this helps sorry not as knowledgeable with the v10s. 95 would have been obd1 and 96 would have been obd2 so it may have something to do with 02 sensor placement/thread bungs maybe? the heads were the same both years so bolt pattern wouldn't play a part, maybe routing for clearances of electronics, but the engine bays are really similar between them.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The headers will work fine but there's really no point in putting them on I'm sorry to say. 95 being obd1 can't be tuned to really benefit from them and being that they're kind of a crappy shorty design similar to whats found in the v8s, they don't do a ton anyways. Little bit but not a ton. They also don't really change the sound if that's more of what you're going for.

OP
OP
Tim S

Tim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
488ci Magnum V10
Thanks for the replies, since my truck is a 95 it only has two o2 sensors before the cats, none after. Im also buying an OBD1 scanner for future reference. The reason i need new headers is because mine are nearly rusted thru and i cant find any oem replacements, not going for an upgrade. Its weird how my whole truck is pretty much rust free but the manifolds are nearly gone.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Well then yeah they'll work fine.... might have egr issues though as 96 does not have it. Can't remember if that was a thing on v10s or not

OP
OP
Tim S

Tim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
488ci Magnum V10
Thanks, How would i know if my truck has EGR? What is it?