96 Indy troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 96 Indy ram 1500 5.9L, recently I replaced the wires, plugs, rotor and distributor cap. After running for a day all of sudden it died on me on the highway. Towed it home and tried starting but it only cranked so I replaced the crankshaft sensor but still no start. I tested for spark and found it didn't have a spark so I replaced the coil but still no start, only cranking. I decided to pull the distributor back off to see and found the inside of the distributor had major scratch and cut marks. I reached down and pulled the rotor out and saw it had been blown out at the contact points, apparently the rotor I got from an auto parts store was too big for the distributor I got from another store. Well, I replaced them all and went to start it but this time it only started for a second or two and died out. Now it only starts f but immediately dies out each time. I tested the fuel pressure by pressing on the test button on the fuel rail and it has pressure, but won't keep the truck running. Any ideas?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ballast resistor , typical fix. Keep spare in glove box.