'97 4x4 rear drum removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These babies are rusted on there pretty well. Have tapped, wrapped, in between lugs ...liberally. Sprayed PB Blaster at lugs.

Wheels rotate so ...brakes aren't "locked on"? (if the pads were locked onto the wheel, she wouldn't spin, would she?).

Stuck a metal pry bar in behind lip of drum and hit from behind ...no budge. Got a pipe into the same lip and hit the snot out of that, rotated wheel, hit some more... NO BUDGE.

Ideas? I thought of spinning that "adjuster" to loosen brake pads, (but not sure what that will do if pads aren't impacted spin of wheel). Honestly, I don't even see where I'd spin/adjust the adjuster. There are, what appears, two oval spots where there MIGHT be openings, but, they've got covers in the way. They look like they could be punched out, but, ...not sure if that's the thing to do.

Thanks all,

Jay

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
My right side always gets stuck on you can try the adjuster if it will turn it maybe froze up itself. I've had to take a torch and heat them in past after all other options fail.

OP
OP
jpilk99

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My right side always gets stuck on you can try the adjuster if it will turn it maybe froze up itself. I've had to take a torch and heat them in past after all other options fail.

Thanks Joe. Forgive my stupidity, but, ...how do I get to the adjuster? I don't see how to access

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
You pop the plastic cover off the oval hole. Reach inside with a brake adjuster tool (or a flat screwdriver in a pinch) and turn the adjuster wheel. Which on an old vehicle is quite possibly seized.

Use blaster all around the large hole where the drum mates to the axle center.

Some flame on the drum around the center hole to expand it.

And a BFH.

OP
OP
jpilk99

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You pop the plastic cover off the oval hole. Reach inside with a brake adjuster tool (or a flat screwdriver in a pinch) and turn the adjuster wheel. Which on an old vehicle is quite possibly seized.

Use blaster all around the large hole where the drum mates to the axle center.

Some flame on the drum around the center hole to expand it.

And a BFH.

Thanks Travelin.

Yer gonna laugh hard on this one, but: When you say "pop the plastic cover off the oval hole" do you mean one of these bad boys in the picture?

Adjuster holes.jpg

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Yep. Looks like they used the same part for the left vs right side backing plate, which is why there’s two holes. One will have the adjuster wheel behind it.

Looking at the pic those may have never been used. Looks like they’re stamped out but maybe the steel blank is still in place.

Usually that’s a complete hole with a plastic plug inserted.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Perhaps the drums are grooved so much that they spin freely but the shoes are not ale to slide past the lip. Back those adjusters off as much as you can.

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Worst case scenario, get a zip disk, and cut the suckers off. Cut across from one side to the other, going right across the center. That is not thick, and a 1/16" zip disk will likely do it in minutes of cutting..

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are no adjuster holes on these trucks . They have to punched out or ground off.