98 ram 1500 overheats and dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lynnnnnxo

Reaction score
Ram Year
my husband’s 98 ram 1500 starts and runs fine but if he drives it after a few minutes it starts overheating and dies. it starts back after a minute, but does the same thing again. there’s a small coolant leak which we already know about but i was wondering if there is anything else we should check before we start buying random parts we may not need. he knows a lot more than i do and is also beyond himself to post something here lol, so i figured i would just to see if anyone has had similar problems and can tell me what it may be. thanks im advance!

firepuppet66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2009 Laramie 5.7 L. The other day I saw liquid under the truck, not much but what was it. Was not sure. Checked engine oil, all ok, brake fluid ok, Power steering, down a tiny bit. Started up, all ok, a few miles down the hwy the high temp light comes on! Pull right over and stop. Called a buddy. Let it cool down. Turns out we topped up the rad and reservoir with a gallon and half maybe of water. Drove home, 20 minutes, truck ran perfectly, no leaks, not a drip. What? Put pressure tester on the rad cap next day, pumped it up to 14 psi and within 5 minutes I see wetness on the water pump at the T-stat housing where the upper rad hose joins. I squeeze the hose, aha! coolant squirts out. Changed the clamp (cut off OEM spring clamp with a dremel) undid a screw type hose clamp (2"), wrapped it around and tightened, problem solved. Old clamp must have been loosening when hot, leaking a bit at a time until finally coolant level was too low, and no, the low coolant warning did not work. Plan on replacing hoses and the rest of the clamps soon. Look for signs of dry streaks on your rad hoses indicating an intermittent leak and of course watch the coolant level. In mine you cannot see it. The reservoir has a dipstick! New one to me!