99 dodge ram 1500 4wd issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hoping someone can help me here. Had an ice storm overnight and had to drive my 99 Dodge laramie home. While in 4wd, the truck constantly thumped in the front end. Even more so when i gave it gas. It almost felt like the transfer case was bouncing up and down. I can't even find the first thing to look at. Any ideas?

OP
OP
R

Robert B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, i was driving it on the street. It was sollid ice. Maximum speed was 45. But it also did it when i went up the hill to my driveway. Karlsweg, I will check that out this evening. Thanks for the replies, I could not find anything on the web concerning what i was hearing and feeling.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If all 4 tires have traction and you turn slightly it’ll bind. I’ve had it happen on sand in 4wd. Also check all your u joints. 2 on front axle 2 on front driveshaft. May need to Jack front end off the ground to properly check

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, checking the ujoints up there is not the easiest thing to do, unless you really know how. That is what it sounds like though.