A/C Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

long2jump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Started my truck up today and noticed a misty like steam coming from my vents. Air got warmer and was no longer cold. Read it might be the heater core, but also I checked the pressures. Temp outside was 101 degrees F. Discharge pressure was at 150psi, it was high. Suction pressure was at 0-5psi, near non-existent. This leads me to believe I have a blockage in the line. I am thinking the filter orifice. High discharge and no suction pressure. But the mist from the vents I do not know, does not look like I am losing coolant and I checked the heat. Heater works.

Any help out there? Thanks.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Heat works off engine coolant, ac works on refrigerant. Sounds like you have refer leak.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Started my truck up today and noticed a misty like steam coming from my vents. Air got warmer and was no longer cold. Read it might be the heater core, but also I checked the pressures. Temp outside was 101 degrees F. Discharge pressure was at 150psi, it was high. Suction pressure was at 0-5psi, near non-existent. This leads me to believe I have a blockage in the line. I am thinking the filter orifice. High discharge and no suction pressure. But the mist from the vents I do not know, does not look like I am losing coolant and I checked the heat. Heater works.

The liquid line has the orifice tube installed in it. The orifice tube is crimped in position in the line to prevent is from moving. Considering this truck is 13 years old I would suspect the liquid line. I replace them all of the time. I normally get them from Oreilly's for $42.99 if I need one that day but if I have time I order them from Amazon for roughly $17.99-$25.99

OP
OP
L

long2jump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Update:
Initial thoughts were correct. Liquid line had a restriction. The coincidence of the dust blowing from the vents and the A/C going out threw me off. I know the heater core runs from the coolant. I couldn't pull the orifice out itself and just replaced the line. Installed and pulled vacuum. Vacuum held and past the decay test. Charged and operating.

Mopowr66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is for Fast69....I just joined this forum. I have a question for you....you mentionedes you get those orifice lines from Amazon or Oreilleys. Ive looked all over and cant find them for my truck (12 Ram 1500 gas) Would you happen to have the part number. This is the one with the tube crimped in the line.....thanks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is for Fast69....I just joined this forum. I have a question for you....you mentionedes you get those orifice lines from Amazon or Oreilleys. Ive looked all over and cant find them for my truck (12 Ram 1500 gas) Would you happen to have the part number. This is the one with the tube crimped in the line.....thanks

Sorry my bad....Fast69Mopar
Lemme help you out: @Fast69Mopar

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Your truck has a different discharge hose than the 2002-2008 Ram 1500's. Our trucks utilize an accumulator and an orifice tube crimped into the discharge hose.

Your truck utilizes an expansion valve and your discharge hose does not have the orifice tube in it nor does it have it at all because the expansion valve does the liquid to gas conversion.

Mopowr66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for reply. What year did they stop the orifice tube crimper on the line. Update...I did find a orifice tube hose with the tube crimped and ordered it off of Amazon.... They confirmed it fits....I hope it does. Thanks again

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for reply. What year did they stop the orifice tube crimper on the line. Update...I did find a orifice tube hose with the tube crimped and ordered it off of Amazon.... They confirmed it fits....I hope it does. Thanks again
I'm not sure what you purchased with an orifice tube form your 2012 RAM 1500 because the 2009+ 4th gen trucks use an expansion valve instead of an orifice tube.