About to upgrade speakers and add an amp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dale D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2021 Classic with the 5" unit. Couple of questions to help me decide how to upgrade. I am currently thinking upgrading all six speakers and adding an amp to push around 50 rms per speaker. I also may add a small 8-10" sub placed under rear seat in th storage compartment. The answers to these questions will help me decide the equipment I want and how to run the wiring. Thanks in advance guys.

1. Do the front door speakers and dash speakers have built in crossovers? And where is the crossover located? or does the head unit have a six channels?
2. Can anyone provide color codes for the speaker wires coming out of the head unit?
3. At what RMS level would I need to forget about using the factory speaker wires?

Again thanks.

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
1. I don't think the speakers have crossovers. I'm more inclined to think the crossover is built / progammed into the head unit. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. I don't know.

3. At 50W RMS the factory speaker wires should be fine.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The factory stereo is full-range for all six speakers. But, the front doors and the dash speakers share a channel. So if you plan on running the new speakers on the factory stereo you will need to solder in a resistor or the dash speakers will be really loud.

You could go this route LINK and skip the wiring completely

Or you could go with an Audio Control Lc6i or something like that. This is what I did but after I installed some speakers, amps and subs in my buddies truck I would suggest the PAC Audio AMPro. His was way easier than mine to install and setup using that AMPro.

I would start thinking about replacing the stock wiring past 50 watts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dale D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Guys the feedback is helping. Anyone know the Color coding for the speakers?

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My SQ build.
NetAudio harness
Kicker Key 200.4 amp in bi-amp mode for door and dash
New wires to dash
Kenwood excelon 6x9 components with 3.5’s in the dash.
Kicker KS 6x9 two way in rear door for fill.
Killmat applied over kill in all doors
Plus speaker foam behind kenwoods in front door and foam rings for all door speakers.
Front stock door speakers are wired in parallel to the dash so you need to run new dash speaker wire. Buy the netaudio harness. Life saver. Use the factory wire to door speakers. Also used the metra adapter for the speakers.
I will be adding a 12” sub fox box, sub tbd. Kicker key 500.1
The Kicker Key is is an awesome little powerhouse that corrects bass roll off as well as sets timing etc with the use of a microphone for set up. My system absolutely cranks, SUPER clean and precise cannot wait to get the sub installed, everyone who takes a ride thinks I already have one.
Seal all speakers with foam tape and deaden the doors and foam ring the speakers. Makes a huge difference.

george55378

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The factory stereo is full-range for all six speakers. But, the front doors and the dash speakers share a channel. So if you plan on running the new speakers on the factory stereo you will need to solder in a resistor or the dash speakers will be really loud.

You could go this route LINK and skip the wiring completely

Or you could go with an Audio Control Lc6i or something like that. This is what I did but after I installed some speakers, amps and subs in my buddies truck I would suggest the PAC Audio AMPro. His was way easier than mine to install and setup using that AMPro.

I would start thinking about replacing the stock wiring past 50 watts.
Be careful where you run new speaker wire. RFI will plague you.

george55378

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220117-020729_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20220117-020729_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20220117-020735_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20220117-020735_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20220117-020741_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20220117-020741_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 27

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Be careful where you run new speaker wire. RFI will plague you.
What do you mean? I am running three amps and multiple speakers in my truck, already have a lot of trial and error in my setup

george55378

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My pencil has an erasure. Just saying this issue can and does happen. Ive been an electronic tech for 51+ years and the way new vehicles are designed these days are unforgiving to the electronic aftermarket consumer. For instance,CANBUS PROTOCOL. Pretty immune to RFI. RFI can find its way thru speaker wiring also. Just putting that out for FYI.

DRE_MEX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2015
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I tried downloading these as PDF but they are hard to read.what source did you take these from?