ABS and Brake light engine stalls out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deaconsfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The abs and brake light have been on in my ‘04 Ram w/5.7. I just haven’t had a chance to look into it yet. The trucks been driving fine and I haven’t had the erratic speedometer that others had mentioned with the speed sensor issues.

Started the truck up today, and when I pressed the brake to put it into to gear the engine stalled and shut off. The speedometer also slowly moved around gauge, topped out, and then came back down. I tried multiple times to put the truck in gear, with the same result.

I disconnected and reconnected the battery ground, since that was the only thing I messed with since last driving the truck. Afterwards I was able to put it into gear just fine.

Was that just dumb luck, or would the battery connection actually cause that (the connection wasn’t loose)? Also, would this be a speed sensor issue, I would think the truck would have to be moving for that to play a role and cause the engine to stall out?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes I had the same thing and the speed sensor was bad in driver side from my hub.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You should look and clean throttle body if needed and check vacuum line on brake boaster also. You could have a vacuum leak somewhere.

OP
OP
D

Deaconsfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pulled the codes today:
36- Missing rear sensor
79??- couldn’t find this one listed anywhere

I checked the resistance across the rear sensor and it was 1.8 which is within range of a new one. I checked the resistance across the wire connector leading back to the module and got 11.3? Not sure if that is within spec or not?

After reinstalling everything I tried to clear the codes, and when I turned the ignition back on the ‘36’ code was gone but now there were two more ‘left front sensor’ and ‘erratic right rear’. The ‘79’ was also still there.

I turned the ignition back off and back on and now just the ‘36’ and ‘79’ are showing up again.

I cleaned the throttle body as well

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think the stalling and ABS are related, could be wrong.

The ABS sensor's are problematic with these older trucks and often require a new hub assembly unless you have the time to keep pulling the wheels and sanding, playing with shims.

I simply pulled the 40 amp fuse under hood and threw a piece of tape over the light......I can't see the ABS light nor do I need ABS.

OP
OP
D

Deaconsfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still trying to figure out the issue. Went ahead and replaced the rear sensor in the differential, checked the wiring from the plug back to the abs module and there’s continuity through the wire. There is also power going to the abs module.

I also tried removing the 40amp fuse, but was still having the same issue

I started getting a P0503 code as well... which is erratic/high vehicle speed sensor.

The engine still stalls out the first time I press the brake after cranking, but after that it seems to drive fine besides the speedo bouncing all around.

I took a screenshot from my other WiFi scanner and this shows the speed jumping up whenever I press the brake. This is while the truck is idling in the driveway.
Any other ideas???

9D9791D2-A44E-4518-BC18-2EA2D9B5221C.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990