AC clutch clicking and engine shuts off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drewcus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318ci LA
Here's a fun one for you guys.

I'm having electrical problems that will cause my 88 d100 to shutoff randomly. With the key turned to on and while running, the ac compressor clutch engages and disengages repeatedly (and clicking from somewhere else). I pulled the ac relay and this still occurs.

I imagine the main issue is not the ac system but this is a symptom of a bigger electrical problem. No luck googling and searching this forum. Before I start replacing things, I'm hoping someone might have a clue what's going on.

Tried attaching a short MP4 video but it's not allowed apparently. Maybe someone could give me some advice on how to upload it :)

Edit: Here's the video https://youtu.be/Oa8p_6shIKk?feature=shared

Thanks

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
You have to upload videos to a host like YouTube and then link them here. This site won’t store videos.

I’d start by checking all the main ground and power connections for corrosion and make sure they are tight. It’ll be worth a small cost to buy a manual or subscription to get wiring diagrams if you’re not able to find them free online somewhere.

OP
OP
D

Drewcus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318ci LA
Thanks Travelin Ram.
I've edited my original post to include a YouTube link of the video.

OP
OP
D

Drewcus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318ci LA
You have to upload videos to a host like YouTube and then link them here. This site won’t store videos.

I’d start by checking all the main ground and power connections for corrosion and make sure they are tight. It’ll be worth a small cost to buy a manual or subscription to get wiring diagrams if you’re not able to find them free online somewhere.
Do you suggest a specific manual, like a shop manual? I have the Haynes but I'm not sure it contains enough detail.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I use Mitchell’s DIY version, starts at $20.

https://eautorepair.net/

You may wish to do some internet searching first, because quite often for older vehicles the factory service manual or other sources have been leaked or published in PDF format. Often found on enthusiasts websites. For instance when I restored a 2004 Jeep I found the FSM free on a Jeep forum.