AC not giving a constant blow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kristphr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, new to the forum, and hopefully I'm posting in the right section here.

I have an 07' Dodge Ram 1500, V8 5.7L, extended cab. The issue I'm having is the AC not blowing at full capacity, and then at times - doesn't blow at all.

On a cold start, it blows fully, but when I start to drive the truck, and it'll slow the speed of the air down (even when it's set to go on full blast), then at times, doesn't blow for maybe 10-15 mins.

When my truck is in idle, it'll blow, but maybe 30 minutes in, it'll stop blowing, and then continue to blow. It does blow cold AC, just intermittent blowing.

Any ideas what this could related to? Maybe a bad AC motor? Any and all help is appreciated.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Can you hear the motor? Sounds from the description like the evaporator might be freezing up in the airbox blocking flow and then when it melts the flow picks back up.

I think these models have a problem with the mixing flap also, and I can't remember if your year has an aftermarket "fix" for that or not. Search for mixing flap fix etc.

One thing you can try is run the AC until it stops blowing, then turn on the heat for 5 minutes and then turn the AC back on. That might tell you if its freezing, if you immediately get cold AC after turning off the heat. Of course it might take more than 5 minutes of heat to melt all of the ice on the fins of an evaporator but it's worth a try.

Check the drain for the airbox and make sure its not clogged with crap or insects.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Behind the glove compartment
There is a Fan
Work the dash switches, Fan Low High, while you can have your ear over on the passenger side

If the fan sounds like it is changing speeds but there is no change through the vents.
Drop the fan out, should be an electrical connection & 3 screws
Knock the dirt out of the fan, preferably with Air Pressure

Using a flash light if you can & look up through the hole where the fan goes, otherwise you can reach up in there & feel around for a flat rectangular piece of cardboard, hopefully the rectangular piece is still fastened in place.
If it is, just reinstall the fan, if it is just loose up in there, pull it out & then put the fan back in place

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what is the purpose of the cardboard?

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
Pull your blower motor out and see if there is any blockage.Possibly your recirc door broke and is laying on the fan.Could also be a blend door or an actuator.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Does the fan continue to run when the airflow stops? If not it may be the resister for the blower motor.

mpipes79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'LL JUMP IN ON THIS BECAUSE I NEED TO KNOW ALSO. I HAVE A 2007 DODGE RAM THAT I JUST BOUGHT THAT I DON'T BELEAVE IS BLOWING RECIRCULATED COLD AIR AND AFTER AWHILE OF RUNNING, MOTOR KEEPS GOING BUT AIR STOPS BLOWING FROM VENTS. ALSO CAN'T CHANGE THE DIRECT OF AIR FLOW FROM FLOOR, DASH, AND DEFROST. MY MECHANIC SUGGESTED REPLACE THE CLIMATE CONTROL, SO I DID BUT IT DIDN'T WORK.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Try heatertreater.net or .com they have info and parts for some of these issues

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The cardboard that i mentioned that may be laying above the blower fan, is actually what is called the Recirculation door
The Recirc door when closed, does not allow fresh air to enter the trucks cab

Watch this video, it tells about how the air flows & what the different doors do

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Seriously? This stupid *** software update censors the word "b l o w"?
Edit: and apparently as s too lol

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seriously? This stupid *** software update censors the word "b l o w"?
Edit: and apparently as s too lol
LOL We are working on it right now. There are some other completely random words that got censored too

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio