AC not sure what issue is

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I hope that fixes it for you. Your situation sounds similar to one I faced on my last F250 - cool at first, then much less cooling or nothing. Was clutch on A/C which gained me almost 24 months after removing the shim trick. By that time at 185K miles on original A/C compressor later I ended up replacing everything forward of the firewall as the A/C compressor had sent enough debris to the orfice/filter that hardly anything was making it through. After that problem solved and always had cold A/C no matter what! Doing A/C before and in the Navy to date along with the right tools has saved me a ton over the years in this area. Lots of good help here for sure!

OP
OP
rick_ca

rick_ca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
HI ALL me again LOL still having issue here is another update new blower fan (evap coil no dirt used a scope), drain port cleaned, cabin filter replaced (old one looked like new one), put some gauges on looks a little low to me (see pictures). talked a an AC installer he mentioned moisture in system and would need an evac and a vacuum down to boil water off.

Attachments

• 20240608_140153.jpg
    20240608_140153.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240608_140159.jpg
    20240608_140159.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240608_140948.jpg
    20240608_140948.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240608_140824_Weather Network.jpg
    Screenshot_20240608_140824_Weather Network.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 6

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
HI ALL me again LOL still having issue here is another update new blower fan (evap coil no dirt used a scope), drain port cleaned, cabin filter replaced (old one looked like new one), put some gauges on looks a little low to me (see pictures). talked a an AC installer he mentioned moisture in system and would need an evac and a vacuum down to boil water off.
I caught an A/C vacuum pump on sale some years back - was this one: LINK

Has paid for itself several times over with the A/C work I've done on several cars/trucks over the years. If you have any moisture you'll see little puffs/vapor coming out when you run it.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 5.7 hemi 4x4 crew cab st, on startup AC blows cold but about 1hour into a 3 hr trip it started blowing warm. Pulled into Local Canadian Tire grabbed a can of 1234 refill with a gauge to add gas, here where it gets the big HMMMMMM gauge showed dead smack in middle of a good charge so I did not add any. As i was running late I left it as is and carried on Cold air from vents again, ran about an hour and starts warming up again pulled over shut off engine for 10 minutes fired up cold air again. Has anyone else ran into this did a quick search everything pointing to blend door but want to be sure before tackling it.
I suspect freezing evaporator core.

OP
OP
rick_ca

rick_ca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
I caught an A/C vacuum pump on sale some years back - was this one: LINK

Has paid for itself several times over with the A/C work I've done on several cars/trucks over the years. If you have any moisture you'll see little puffs/vapor coming out when you run it.
yes looked at vacuum pumps I just don't want to vent Freon off to atmosphere so would need a reclaimer also

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Most likely no water in system since it still has some freon. You probably have a slow leak based on low pressure.

OP
OP
rick_ca

rick_ca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
Found my UV light and no visible leaks, little glow at hi/lo port but that might be from gauges

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Found my UV light and no visible leaks, little glow at hi/lo port but that might be from gauges
As Jeff stated above, that will only show up if the system had leak detector added to the freon before the leak developed.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Can't read the low side gauge well but looks like around 20psi, and on R1234YF that would be an 18 deg f suction which is too cold for an AC application and will cause the evap to freeze up. you are either low on gas of have a restriction on the metering devise. if you have a vacuum pump available, recover the gas and pull a good vacuum and recharge with the specified amount of refrigerant. Your suction temp should be above freezing level.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup, you are low on gas. Check all the fittings and such with detector. Not unknown for an o-ring or fitting to leak. Schraeder valve may be leaking, also.

May need to add gas to get pressure up so leaks are more prone to show up.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Also compressor shaft seal if it's been on there a while is a spot to check. Add some A/C leak die it it as well before you recharge always helps.