Ac Cooling Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elroyjets

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2013 1500 Tradesman 4.7L that was given to me by my father a few months ago which has 126,000 miles. All day today 've been having a issue with the AC not cooling upon startup and while idle at a stop. It's not hot air blowing out but also not as cold as normal. After a few mins of driving it's gets colder and seems to be working like normal. It seems like every few restarts it will be cold AC upon startup and idling but it's random. I did check to make sure when I turn the AC on while parked that the second cooling fan comes on and it does.

The only 2 things I have done recently was replace the serpentine belt that my father suggested was due to be replaced. I rechecked to make sure it was on properly and it all checks out.

I also took the negative terminal off for about 20mins while I was replacing the radio a few days ago. I rechecked to make sure the ground was on properly.

I will also note that when I first turn on the AC which I always have set to blow out the top vents it always blows first out the floor vents and then it's starts to comes out the top vents. I wasn't sure if this is normal behavior on a ram or not since my previous 04 Chevy trailblazer didn't do that. I asked my dad about it and he thinks it's always done that but he isn't sure. It's been doing this since I got it months ago

Looking for some help if at all possible, thanks in advance

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would have a Radiator & Air Conditioning garage check your
Refrigerant, to make sure it is charged.
You don't need to go to a fancy store or dealership
i use the small places on the side streets

1692346998502.png

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Check the conndenser fan. Sounds like it is intermittent.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is normal for the air to blow out on the floor briefly. I don't know why they do that. I'm guessing the baffle resets to that position when it loses power. I've had four 4th gen models, two of them I bought new, and they've all done it.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It is normal for the air to blow out on the floor briefly. I don't know why they do that. I'm guessing the baffle resets to that position when it loses power. I've had four 4th gen models, two of them I bought new, and they've all done it.
The vent doors in the dash are operated by engine vacuum. When off they reset to a certain position. Once the engine is started, they take a few seconds to set to the desired air flow so that is normal.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Also the 4 or 5 Actuators recalibrate themselves at start up.
Only Mopar actuators can do that, by the way

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's only about 25 things it could be. There could be crap (or moisture) in the system which allows it to work, then eventually plugs the orifice. Could be, could be ...a bunch of things. Just hooking up gauges isn't going to do any good if you don't know how to interpret the readings and under what conditions.

[Edit: The problem could also be a combination or 2 or 3 issues at the same time. ]

You're in FL ....why not take it to a quality AC shop and get a look-see? I'm a DIY guy, but sometimes relying on experienced guys who've "Seen it all" is time & money better spent.

___

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The vent doors in the dash are operated by engine vacuum.
I think they stopped using vacuum sometime in the Gen2 trucks era, Gen4 trucks are electronic. They still goto a default position.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
syncing actuators

another tidbit about actuators

This guy, reassembles the complete Plenum Box, ( HVAC Box )

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

elroyjets

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm thinking it was just a very hot day because it's been fine ever since. Thanks everyone for the help!

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it has the electric fan on the condenser. When the fan starts going bad , the a/c will not be cold until you get up to speed. If not changed it will cook the compressor & clutch. Btdt

why not

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2013 1500 Tradesman 4.7L that was given to me by my father a few months ago which has 126,000 miles. All day today 've been having a issue with the AC not cooling upon startup and while idle at a stop. It's not hot air blowing out but also not as cold as normal. After a few mins of driving it's gets colder and seems to be working like normal. It seems like every few restarts it will be cold AC upon startup and idling but it's random. I did check to make sure when I turn the AC on while parked that the second cooling fan comes on and it does.

The only 2 things I have done recently was replace the serpentine belt that my father suggested was due to be replaced. I rechecked to make sure it was on properly and it all checks out.

I also took the negative terminal off for about 20mins while I was replacing the radio a few days ago. I rechecked to make sure the ground was on properly.

I will also note that when I first turn on the AC which I always have set to blow out the top vents it always blows first out the floor vents and then it's starts to comes out the top vents. I wasn't sure if this is normal behavior on a ram or not since my previous 04 Chevy trailblazer didn't do that. I asked my dad about it and he thinks it's always done that but he isn't sure. It's been doing this since I got it months ago

Looking for some help if at all possible, thanks in advance
Not sure if you have tried to clean the condenser and check the cabin air filter have you noticed the compressor cycling rapidly when it not cooling is auxiliary cooling fan 2 speed or have module for variable speed motors multi speed will have 3 large wires to motor variable speed motors will have 2 large wires and one small signal wire operated by a transducer to speed up the higher the pressure do you have a check engine light or maybe it's been on for awhile and still runs good so it's been ignored but other codes for ac and heat might be present heater bypass valve air temperature sensor so many different options for start with the basics eliminate them they could lead you down the wrong path and misiagnostic and you create new problems to go with the one problem vehicles not sure what options yours has
1 check airflow and cabin filter if applicable
Bad airflow could cause evaporator coil to ice up or compressor having higher or lower 0perating pressure or compressor not being cycled of by pressure switch or temp controller some h have dampers behind grill and before radiator and condenser just w few suggestions if you have any questions on my explanation feel free to ask questions .and good job on looking and checking what you did more than most I would like to confirm a few more

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm thinking it was just a very hot day because it's been fine ever since. Thanks everyone for the help!

Best AC fix ever ....just wait till a cooler day :)

Ramtravis2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
100% normal for air to come out at the floor first. My 2016 does that every time. It pushes the hot air out then delivers the cold air to the upper vents. kind of a nice feature to be honest

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat