AC Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it also has something to do with the system trying to keep the driver from passing out from CO2 poisoning, breathing the same air over and over.

I've been driving non-stop (20+ hours) to North Florida for many years and we've never had much difficulty.

The travel range has increased significantly from when I first started in about 2004 but we still like to stop periodically for gas, P, and a leg stretch. That seems sufficient to refresh the cabin area. :cool:

And no more Taco Bell unless you're constipated. And then you get to use the rumble seat with the scuba gear.

OP
OP
K

krpenn71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The bl
Regardless of the type of refrigerant used in the system and the fact that 2 dealers have presented 'no problem found' results, do we have confirmation that the condenser fan is running properly?

If while sitting at idle and you engage the Max AC, does the condenser fan start immediately and continue to run?

The blower motor continues to run if that's what your asking.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The blower motor continues to run if that's what your asking
He's talking about your cooling fan on the radiator your 2500 6.4l has, do you have a fan on the water pump? It differs from the 1500 5,7 that has 1 electric fan that runs at multiple speeds.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bl

The blower motor continues to run if that's what your asking.

On the inside of your rad, there's a smaller electric fan that blows air on the condenser assembly.

With the AC set to MaxAC, you should be able to hear the condenser fan above the sound of the radio fan. Try raising the hood and listening on the passenger side of the rad.

It looks like a small oil cooler with a small fan on it. If the condenser fan fails to function, the AC will only provide cool air while the truck is moving.

When the truck is not moving, the air will get warmer, somewhat like what you described in your initial post.

I checked my Warlock and can't see beyond the rad shroud but I believe this picture shows the refrigerant lines feeding the condensor unit.

20230826_190846.jpg

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
i like the A/C in my 2016
i am the only person in the vehicle, 95 % + of the time

I have my 2 chest vents open on the drivers side, everything else is closed
Right now the temps are only about 85°F
Starting Monday, it will be 95°F

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2022 Ram 2500 Tradesman gasser that has 7000 miles on it and the AC is not cooling it gets down to 60 if just sitting and only 55 when driving and goes back up to 60-62 when stopped at a light or in traffic. My other 2015 Ram 1500 gets much colder 44-45 much faster even when parked in full sun. I've taken it to 2 different dealers and the claim that everything checks out fine but it still doesnt blow cold. Anyone else have this issue?

Please disregard my previous comments about a condenser fan, I don't think that a stock 2500 has that feature.

Also, the condenser unit without a fan, will be mounted in front of the rad, like my Warlock. I just checked it again.

Look through the front grill while using an LED light, preferably in the dark or low-light. The condenser unit looks like a slightly smaller version of the rad.

If the fins are clogged up with dirt & debris, the AC will not function properly. Use a spray washer carefully to remove the buildup.

Also, check the cabin air filter. If it's very dirty, this will also impair the AC function.

Both of these are usually not a problem at such low mileage but require to be verified before moving on.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recirc will definitely help. But I heard that the new trucks will only let it stay at that setting for so long, and then it automatically changes it without any input from the operator. I think it has something to do with the temp + relative humidity in the vehicle.
Thus the reason I will not buy a newer vehicle. It irks me to upon high for those arrogant so-and-so's to make vehicles which do my bidding. The BIG one for me is the function of the shifter being slammed into park if I attempt to back up with the door open. Changes to my settings is up there as well!

The proposal for passive cabin breathalyzers as of 2026 is WAY overreach. That's in the new infrastructure bill.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i like the A/C in my 2016
i am the only person in the vehicle, 95 % + of the time

I have my 2 chest vents open on the drivers side, everything else is closed
Right now the temps are only about 85°F
Starting Monday, it will be 95°F
We've been over 100 for many weeks straight... and slated for an all time high of 110 tomorrow (8-27-2023) All 3 of my driver vehicles perform excellently.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thus the reason I will not buy a newer vehicle. It irks me to upon high for those arrogant so-and-so's to make vehicles which do my bidding. The BIG one for me is the function of the shifter being slammed into park if I attempt to back up with the door open. Changes to my settings is up there as well!

The proposal for passive cabin breathalyzers as of 2026 is WAY overreach. That's in the new infrastructure bill.

I couldn't agree more. All this Nanny BS to legally insulate the manufacturers is just ridiculous.

My Warlock was the first new vehicle I've ever owned and most likely will be the last.

Fortunately, I believe there's a work around for most of the nannies on my truck but every year, those hacks get tougher.

AFAIK, the '22 model vehicles have more BS added than my '21 and there seems to be no end to the BS coming for the newer trucks.

I haven't had a drink in more than 23 years and the FH politicians are going to require my new truck has active testing of the cabin air? I call BS and won't play that game.

OP
OP
K

krpenn71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
He's talking about your cooling fan on the radiator your 2500 6.4l has, do you have a fan on the water pump? It differs from the 1500 5,7 that has 1 electric fan that runs at multiple speeds.
It's a fan on the water pump, old style, not an electric fan.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thank you for the reference.

I read the paper and I found something that raises a suspicion. In the "Methodology" section they mentioned the test setup as: "This experimental setup was developed for the R134a as the refrigerant. For this experiment, the performance of the AAC system using refrigerants R134a and R1234yf will be compared".

I'm not an AC expert, not even a novice, but it is easy to discover the AC systems between the two refrigerants are different. The YF refrigerant requires the addition of a component known as an inline heat exchanger (IHX).

Putting YF refrigerant in a system designed to use R134 is going to result in a loss of efficiency but using YF in a system designed for it will result in equilent results as I have experienced between my two RAMs.

The devil is always in the details.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I believe this picture shows the refrigerant lines feeding the condensor unit.
Can't say for sure with the HD trucks but the 1500 trucks with the 8spd, the top couple of rows of the condenser is the transmission cooler.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can't say for sure with the HD trucks but the 1500 trucks with the 8spd, the top couple of rows of the condenser is the transmission cooler.

That picture is not a great presentation of the refrigerant lines. I only used it because you can see the testpoint on the top.

All the lines are difficult to follow from the backside of the rad because of the rad shroud material.

Looking from the front side using a flashlight, the refrigerant lines are more apparent to be connected to the condenser unit, mounted in front of the rad.

Or, are you suggesting that this device in front of the rad that is near as large as the rad is an oil cooler versus an AC condenser unit?

Update:

After reading your comment again, are you saying that the upper section of the condenser unit is acting as an oil cooler for the transmission?

That would make sense why there's multiple lines passing through the backside of the rad.

One of the upper lines has a testpoint, I was assuming that is a refrigerant TP for the AC.

The important point for the OP is that, if somehow the condenser unit is full of crud in the short mileage, this will reduce the performance of the AC tremendously.

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I tested mine...it doesn't do that.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I couldn't agree more. All this Nanny BS to legally insulate the manufacturers is just ridiculous.

My Warlock was the first new vehicle I've ever owned and most likely will be the last.

Fortunately, I believe there's a work around for most of the nannies on my truck but every year, those hacks get tougher.

AFAIK, the '22 model vehicles have more BS added than my '21 and there seems to be no end to the BS coming for the newer trucks.

I haven't had a drink in more than 23 years and the FH politicians are going to require my new truck has active testing of the cabin air? I call BS and won't play that game.

This isn't nanny BS alone.... it's also the insurance industry robbing us for "protection", while mitigating THEIR liability... it is a RACKET! And the "tough Smart" lawyer who advertises on our local TV to call him so he can "Hammer" the insurance companies (while he's holding a maul) doesn't help a thing!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
are you saying that the upper section of the condenser unit is acting as an oil cooler for the transmission?
yes this for sure on the 1500s w/8spd, not sure on the HD trucks w/8spd but it's a good probability.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We've been over 100 for many weeks straight... and slated for an all time high of 110 tomorrow (8-27-2023) All 3 of my driver vehicles perform excellently.
MY early build 19 5th Gen, does so so, even with the TSB done. The only way I can get better temps is to clamp off water pump to core line, or put in the valve I still have not put in.