Acceptable Rim sizes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
bought my first truck back in 1987 and the stock rim size was 15 inches. I had the equivalent of 31.5x10.5 tires on them. truck rode great, lots of off roading and I loved the look of the smaller rim with huge sidewalls and the look it gave the truck. Fast forward to my 2016 and I have stock 20’s with same size tire. When I am looking at rims online, they are usually 17,18,20 etc. Not sure if the rotor size is a factor but I would love to go with a smaller rim with the bigger tire. What’s the smallest rim I can fit on my truck and the pros cons of having a smaller rim with the bigger sidewalls?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Given these trucks have almost 14" rotors along with clearance for the caliper going under a 17" rim might be pushing it. You would definitely want to test fit before buying them. There's a wide range of tire sizes available for 17" rims, probably more selection than 16" or smaller.
The trade offs for going with a larger sidewall tire is stability, they'll flex more in turns but it's what makes them better for going over bumps. You'll probably notice more squirm if your towing also. Taller sidewalls are better when airing down for soft ground surfaces like sand, mud, etc.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I run 285/70/17 and they are just shy of 33". I don't know if you can go smaller or not on rim size though.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
A rim smaller than 17 won't work. I like 16" rims, tires are cheaper, wide choice of style, but they won't fit on my 2021 2500. Instead I got the 18s, at least the tire selection is still good, even if they are pricier than 16s.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
17's reputable sellers have a year range on there rims, as you see these guys have your year in between their range.

rebel knock offs or used are pretty cool, ebay is a great place to buy them, a bunch of us have gotten them there. Most of us went black, but they also have a black.machined chrome that is cool. Too bad it isnt two years ago, the knock offs were under 600 shipped free, but nothing we can do about that one., As you see you can catch used one on deal, I think some guys prefer bigger rims, but like you I prefer the smaller ones with larger tire, rebels are great for that.

Here is the black ones, shipped free, this guy great seller, 829 still decent deal?

nice thing about the oem knock offs, you know the offset is factory, no fit drama. I got the knock offs, pretty happy with them, the difference is one has an eagle center piece one has a ram.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You can do a small brake kit,and then put 15's on the rear,but as far as i know,nobody offers a small brake kit for the front,so you'd be stuck with 17's on the front. Usually it's the guys that are hard core drag racing their trucks that do the small rear brake kit,so they have more sidewall and options as far as slicks go.With stock brakes 17's are the smallest that'll fit over the brakes. Mickey Thompson builds a relatively light weight 17X9 at 24 lbs in either polished or black,that's built to handle the abuse of off-roading,while still being a rim that's semi affordable.

Last edited:

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I run 285/45/22 without any issues at all and she stops on a dime too.
IMG_2055.JPG