Accident and fluid leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Sorry to hear about the accident.

This isn't a case of "I can't afford to fix my emissions failure CEL" or something along those lines. This is a basic requirement. In this case, and most "I can't afford insurance" cases, its not debtor's prison. Its stupidity you-need-to-learn-consequences prison. There are exceptions, like almost anything, but like everything now-a-days, everyone wants to be the exception when they don't even remotely meet the qualifications. If you cannot afford car insurance, or don't want to afford it, in 99% of cases, you should not be driving a vehicle. It sucks, but thats life.

This is especially the case when they drive a really nice car, like in this instance, but claim they cannot afford insurance. How about you buy a less expensive car than a BMW, and afford the insurance instead?

As others said, she may just be trying to stick it to you, and is lying. Some would rather deal with a "rap sheet" than pay higher insurance premiums. Funny thing is, their insurance company (if she has one) will find out about it eventually. The only time I've seen them not find out about these things eventually, through police/state records, is when someone moves to a different state. States don't talk to each other sometimes.

If I missed this in previous posts, I apologize... I'd have your insurance company check her out. They should be able to figure out if she is telling the truth or not through a little investigation. If she is lying, they can pressure her insurance company to take care of everything, and possibly get her for lying to an officer.

After being hit by a guy who ignored a red light (totaled my 2013 Ram), I have had an axe to grind with stupid drivers, and insurance-less drivers are one of my pet peeves.

:Rant:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Oh man this sucks. Especially when there's insurance issues. Years ago I had a guy blow a stop sign and shoot out in front of me from left to right. I slammed on the brakes, skidded to the right side curb but still smashed into his right rear quarter. Called the cops, he admitted fault, etc..

Even given the circumstances, his insurance carrier would only cover 60% of the repair cost. Their claim was I should have been able to stop in time given I nailed him in the rear quarter of his vehicle. I had to subrogate the remaining 40% through my insurance.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
^^^That makes zero sense to me. If he blew a stop sign it was his fault period and his insurance should cover the full costs of the accident.

I totally agree and thought it would be an easy situation. I went round-n-round with the guy's insurance company. It was take it or leave it. Like I say, it's called subrogation. I had to have my insurance co pay the rest. When I contacted my insurance carrier on it, they treated it like it was easier for them to pay out the $3-4K, than than fight with the other guy's insurance.

Basically if you T-bone someone beyond the mid-point of a vehicle, even if they're totally at fault, you can be deemed partially liable regardless of the circumstance. The premise is you are responsible for what is in front of you and you should have had adequate time to stop. Nail them in the front quarter and you're OK! Nuts isn't it? FWIW, this thing happened to me around 2002. Years ago.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ I just don't understand that way of thinking. He should not have been in front of you at all but for the fact that he failed to stop at a stop sign.

Did they raise your insurance as a result of this nonsense?

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
^^^ I just don't understand that way of thinking. He should not have been in front of you at all but for the fact that he failed to stop at a stop sign.

Did they raise your insurance as a result of this nonsense?

the way insurance is now, if you are involved or not, you can expect your rates to increase, when i was shopping around this year for new insurance, every place i talked to told me thats how it works, even if you do nothing wrong and your insurance doesn't pay for the wreck, your rates will go up when they find out about it

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
So, the pass side rear tire is two inches more forward then the drivers side. The next step is to inspect for damage to the housing itself. The leak appears to be the water pump. Personally, I don't see how the accident could have caused this and the mechanic is saying it could just be a coincidence but, on paper, he is blaming the accident.
More to come...
I’m betting they total that truck. How the passenger side frame has no damage will be a miracle. Hopefully ins works out and it all works in your favor.

OP
OP
D

digitalbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, to update everyone, here is what we are looking at so far (with the exception of the body and bumper damage.
1: Bent frame. According to the shop, it is almost 2 inches out of line using a "cross" measurement.
2: Bent shock perch. This is a welded piece and, because I have an HD, they are not comfortable trying to re-weld an important structural part.
3: Bent axle. Yep, that big ol Dana got bent near the hub.
4: Bent control arm
5: Damaged control arm links on both sides.

I think that's all for now.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Lol I knew that frame was bent. Not happy for you but glad the shop went through it better. It’s time to start looking for a new truck

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It's the same here. But, that being said, we have this small problem with millions of ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS in our country. They have no ID, so they drive uninsured.

This is the reason I upped my uninsured motorist amount to $60k or whatever it was. I doubled it and it was barely $10/month more. Stupid not to have higher amounts that state minimums. Texas is worse with the illegals and their POS cars. They will buy anything under $3k that's running and drive it til it falls apart.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Great update for all who are pulling for you. Suspect that you will "expect" total from carrier. Get all your receipts together all repairs in the last 12 months. Include any personal mods. Would expect to hear that you are driving a new truck.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
This is the reason I upped my uninsured motorist amount to $60k or whatever it was. I doubled it and it was barely $10/month more. Stupid not to have higher amounts that state minimums. Texas is worse with the illegals and their POS cars. They will buy anything under $3k that's running and drive it til it falls apart.

That’s a fact!! Me myself will not get close to any used car/truck with a lot of dents. I especially won’t get anywhere near a used car with paper tags. Probably a **** head!!

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package

OP
OP
D

digitalbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great update for all who are pulling for you. Suspect that you will "expect" total from carrier. Get all your receipts together all repairs in the last 12 months. Include any personal mods. Would expect to hear that you are driving a new truck.
Interesting.. I didn't think of that. The only "mods" to the truck were some steps and I installed three 12V and two USB chargers in the dash cubby but, I did have the rear axle seals replaced at about 70K.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Interesting.. I didn't think of that. The only "mods" to the truck were some steps and I installed three 12V and two USB chargers in the dash cubby but, I did have the rear axle seals replaced at about 70K.
I had a similar rear end accident. My Carrier totaled the vehicle but added back tires, brakes etc that had been done in the last 12 months.

OP
OP
D

digitalbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar rear end accident. My Carrier totaled the vehicle but added back tires, brakes etc that had been done in the last 12 months.
So... its over. they are giving me 24,500.00 for the truck. I had estimated 25K so, close enough.
Now I am shopping for a 1500 with the ecodiesel.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
So... its over. they are giving me 24,500.00 for the truck. I had estimated 25K so, close enough.

That’s good to hear. Unfortunately the best outcome for truck was to be totaled out. It would of never been right. But hopefully $24,500 is enough for you to get you into a new Ram. I’m sure you can get a good deal on an 18 right about now Lol.

2017 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 Crew
from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Well done. Glad the unexpected distraction in your life is behind you. Many good opportunity's for a replacement truck. Turn lemons into lemonade and find something that makes you smile. Thanks for the update. You had a lot of member's wanting to help. (our strangle distracted uninsured BMW drivers)

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's the same here. But, that being said, we have this small problem with millions of ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS in our country. They have no ID, so they drive uninsured.

Our laws have to be better. Illegal immigrant causes an accident. Sent them to the worst war torn country on earth and keep their passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
D

digitalbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So... anyone keeping up...
I picked up a "new to me" 2015 1500 with the EcoDiesel.
it is a crew cab, 4X4 but with the short box 9I would have liked the long box)
This one is night and day from the 2500 Tradesman that got hit.
This is a black Limited and it has... well... everything.