activating DRLs in a USA built Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I enabled DRLs on my Recon headlights. Im probably the first to do it on a 4th gen w projectors.

A LOT of trial and error because the RECONS don't even have a DRL pin to connect to the oem harness so basically I used the DRL 1 module and followed the instructions on this thread: http://www.ramforum.com/f75/installing_drl_module_amber_leds_full_power-82702/

The only difference is you connect the DRL wires to the parking light PIN 2 instead of the DRL pin 4 on the oem harness because the recons don't have a Pin 4. You do not use the Blue parking light wire from the DRL 1 module at all. I had the DRL and Parking light wires from the module connected to the OEM parking light wires and it wasnt working. Once I disconnected the blue parking light wire they worked perfectly.

Here's a photo with the DRL's

dc9e0ffbe79570d33db3b01af2dcf844.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got them done today. The did a PCM flash as well. All Free!!!

20170427_114659_zpsbv6sqtmd.jpg

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
just came back from the dealer... got them done.. 17 1500.. he had to call detroit and have it added to the vin...Free service.. awesome guy

napleton chrysler here in kissimmee florida

salazarn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also went to the dealership last night and they were able to activate it no problem. I showed the tech the document posted on. For those wanting to know. The dealership is helfman dodge in Houston, TX

Dbjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Sport 2wd
Did mine last week using the document. Thank you for that! Wouldn't have been possible without it. Cost me $60 and took about 1.5 hours including oil change and tire rotation

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 (2017 1500 KIA OCT 2017)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone,
My names Pete and I'm new to the forums just picked up a 2015 Laramie Ecodiesel this week and the first thing I wanted to do was to enable the DRL.

After much research I took the pdf file Ramtrucks.com has and edited it to include the 1500 in the text. I did this because the first 3 dealers I went to said they couldn't do it because the 1500 wasn't listed, so be sure to bring my edited pdf so they can't throw that excuse at you. (Attached to this is an image of the edited pdf)

After emailing calling and going to probably 10 dealerships I finally got them enabled today. It took about 40 minutes and cost $60. I live in Connecticut and the dealership that finally did it was Branford Dodge for anyone in the area interested. I was a walk in and they did it very quickly despite being busy.

Good luck to anyone looking to do it in the future, as it was a pain to finally get a dealer to look into it and attempt to do it. I hope this post helps!

View attachment 73420

Just got my DRL's activated [emoji51][emoji106]. Went in for a 1,200 mile first oil change. Gave them the above sheet and they were activated at no charge. Tech had never seen that information before. He had to have a manger go in and authorize the LM5 code. After that it was an easy BCM reset.

All done in an hour. Plus he learned something new and got a nice tip ($$) he didn't expect.

I'll try to post a proof pic soon.

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 (2017 1500 KIA OCT 2017)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got my DRL's activated [emoji51][emoji106]. Went in for a 1,200 mile first oil change. Gave them the above sheet and they were activated at no charge. Tech had never seen that information before. He had to have a manger go in and authorize the LM5 code. After that it was an easy BCM reset.

All done in an hour. Plus he learned something new and got a nice tip ($$) he didn't expect.

I'll try to post a proof pic soon.

Here you go! Proof pic!
9b0f37d2703d3990ee2d21b3eaf600d3.png

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I told the dealer LM5 and they ended up activating LM1 on my Projector headlights.

So they tried LM5 and said it did not work. They have a call into Chrysler. I sure hope they can fix it because with LM1 the projectors are barley visible.

Hopefully they just need to undo LM1 and add LM5.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
FYI... No charge.

The Tech said they are calling an 800 number in the morning. Anyone have and pointers? They did my 2015 Sport a piece back, so I know they can do it.

And FYI I have nothing but good things to say about the dealership.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Got them turned on today!! Wooohooo!!

Let's recap

Dealership 1
Charge $60 (refunded for not performing service)
Told them LM5 they did LM1. I explained it to them and they still said that there is nothing they could do, that they would call Chrysler tomorrow (today - by date). Got a call from Dealership 1 today saying that it is only for 2013 2500/3500 etc... I said thanks goodbye.

Dealership 2 - Steve White Motors Hickory, NC - Service department is top notch!
Told guy Dealership 1 story. He turned off LM1, turned on LM5, $26 and 20 minutees later I and was on my.

EDITED FOR RUN-ON SENTENCE! :goofy:

Last edited:

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm glad to hear Steve White can do it. I'm in Raleigh but I am willing to drive over to them (on a trip to the mountains) to have them do it. The 2 local dealerships here don't get it. Dealership 1 sucks anyway and couldn't perform service on a vehicle if they tried. They told me they would be afraid to brick the ECU. Told them adios.

Dealership 2 has a good service department for mechanical issues but are not really good at doing this type of stuff. They were able to activate my heated seats but said they could activate the heated steering wheel. Not a big deal as both still worked it's just if you remote start, when you insert the key they turn back of. The heated seats will no longer do that.

DRL's they said they got them working. I had to run errands and get out of there so I didn't verify. Well, noticed yesterday that there is no setting to turn them off in the evic and confirmed that they are not on. Looks it'll be a trip to Hickory (3.5hrs each way).

Funny thing is I asked about long tube headers. Dealership 2 said they are ok and they don't have an issues with running a tune. They did have concern the headers would burn out the valves because they run hotter in the engine bay. Huh? I told him I will have them ceramic coated and he seemed ok with them then. Still?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
I'm glad to hear Steve White can do it. I'm in Raleigh but I am willing to drive over to them (on a trip to the mountains) to have them do it. The 2 local dealerships here don't get it. Dealership 1 sucks anyway and couldn't perform service on a vehicle if they tried. They told me they would be afraid to brick the ECU. Told them adios.

Dealership 2 has a good service department for mechanical issues but are not really good at doing this type of stuff. They were able to activate my heated seats but said they could activate the heated steering wheel. Not a big deal as both still worked it's just if you remote start, when you insert the key they turn back of. The heated seats will no longer do that.

DRL's they said they got them working. I had to run errands and get out of there so I didn't verify. Well, noticed yesterday that there is no setting to turn them off in the evic and confirmed that they are not on. Looks it'll be a trip to Hickory (3.5hrs each way).

Funny thing is I asked about long tube headers. Dealership 2 said they are ok and they don't have an issues with running a tune. They did have concern the headers would burn out the valves because they run hotter in the engine bay. Huh? I told him I will have them ceramic coated and he seemed ok with them then. Still?

If you head over to Steve White to get it done let me know, I will make sure you get the same service tech and service admin. They know how to do it now! Even fixed my Dealership 1 screwup. I do not have there names (not sure they would want me to freely post it either) But if you are coming I will stop by and ask if they mind.

What year make and model do you have?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
LM5 is bright as all get out - people will notice you coming down the road.

Yes, I already observed this on my 2015 Sport - but recapitulating it.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you think there is any way we can bypass having to be in gear for them to be on?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Do you think there is any way we can bypass having to be in gear for them to be on?

Aftermarket I would suspect but not factory. That would require code changes.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you head over to Steve White to get it done let me know, I will make sure you get the same service tech and service admin. They know how to do it now! Even fixed my Dealership 1 screwup. I do not have there names (not sure they would want me to freely post it either) But if you are coming I will stop by and ask if they mind.

What year make and model do you have?

Thanks for that. I will be sure to let you know. It may be a little while before I get there as I have to find a way to get time off during the week.

I have a '13 Ram R/T.

miguelherrera4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Will this work on 09-12 with the 13+ projectors? [emoji848] or different pcm sales code etc