Actual Gear display question using Alfa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The tuner is unlocking the ECU and disabling MDS for $225 so I figure that's not bad. Mail it out, wait a week for him to do his thing, and install it. Easy peasy.

I know the tuner could configure the truck to show the gear, but they would physically need my truck. It's actually not done through the ECU... it's through the TCM (which isn't locked on our trucks, but it part of the transmission which would make shipping difficult).

So if a guy had HP Tuners and the (4) credits, cables, etc that would be an option to turn it on.

For me though, I'd like to find an option that helps everyone get there.
The TCM unbolts from the transmission pretty easily,once you drop the pan. Send it out at the same time.
You want to be helpful,post a link to the guy who's doing your MDS disable,that'd help more people out then this idea of yours with the gear display.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Actually I don’t care to be helpful anymore... Do me a favor and read this thread from the beginning and let me know if you’d chose to be helpful or not.

Everyone banding together to tell me I’m wrong about this and mistaken on that… now though that I have something you want (I’m sure it’s been beat to death to find a MDS delete at a reasonable cost) you’re all ears. Maybe in another 6 pages I’ll post a link to the guys shop.

Anyone that wants his info before that feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Actually I don’t care to be helpful anymore... Do me a favor and read this thread from the beginning and let me know if you’d chose to be helpful or not.

Everyone banding together to tell me I’m wrong about this and mistaken on that… now though that I have something you want (I’m sure it’s been beat to death to find a MDS delete at a reasonable cost) you’re all ears. Maybe in another 6 pages I’ll post a link to the guys shop.

Anyone that wants his info before that feel free to PM me.
Let me guess Ryan Hogan or Matt Brown.There's a few tuners that will set up your PCM for a few simple mods these days,they're easy to find,lol.
Watch when you walk down the street,somebody might try to steal your purse on you,;)
Dude you did this to yourself,nobody else did :Big Laugh:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Guys we need to band together and get this feller a bigger purse,i think the one he's carrying is getting a bit small :cheers:
Now he's in a pout and wants to take his ball home:Big Laugh:
Good luck with your endevour.
Little tidbit for you though,this thread and your attitude might limit how many guys will ever want to help you out in the future:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Yes because you’ve been so helpful so far. I’d hate to lose access to this valuable resource.

I’m sure when you’re sipping your mojito tonight you’ll be thinking “good job fellas for being an idiot to this person trying to further the community”.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes because you’ve been so helpful so far. I’d hate to lose access to this valuable resource.

I’m sure when you’re sipping your mojito tonight you’ll be thinking “good job fellas for being an idiot to this person trying to further the community”.
I've read the entire thread and see where several have tried to help you, and all that came from that was a bad attitude and disrespect from you. You complained because the conversation drifted off topic for a bit, well that is how forums work, but they always seem to come back on topic, as this one did.

You say you have heard others state they have done this, then why not ask them how they done it instead of coming here and spreading hate and discontent. Now my question is have you only heard, or have you seen it. You say there is a way to do it, then share the wealth, otherwise again it is just hear say.

I have been a part of this forum since 2018 and never have I seen anyone come across the way you have on this thread. This will be my only post on your thread, as I will not lower myself to your level of disrespect for others, so feel free to say what you want to me, or about me. But I will continue to read it, as I got a good laugh from some of the post. And I won't be sipping a Mojito while doing so, I prefer something a little stronger, so will leave the Mojito for you to enjoy.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I usually find that a person gets back the same attitude they send out. Unfortunately a public forum doesn't always get you the information handed to you the way you want it and sometimes it goes sideways. You just have to roll with it.

A word of advice, let's all act like adults here or formal warnings and possible free vacations will be handed out.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I don’t see how it can be claimed that anyone has answered my original ask, or even attempted to. It’s not something you can attempt to answer, you either posses the knowledge I seek or you don’t. Simply interjecting comments like “use your thumb” is not helpful nor relevant to the ask.

Others have claimed it to work, I haven’t personally seen it, this post was an attempt to solicit the information from those out there that have made it work so everyone can win. Rarely does someone post a neat thing that’s worked for them “just because”… most people post issues. I don’t care to hear from 100 people that didn’t get it to work that say it can’t be done. I have heard it to be working for others and wanted to dig into the why.

I guess if you failed to see that then I can’t help you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
If anyone has a spare minute to check these settings, I won’t be able to for a week or so.

VehConfig7: shift feature auto stick / electronic range selection status

EcuConfig4: ERS available

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If anyone has a spare minute to check these settings, I won’t be able to for a week or so.

VehConfig7: shift feature auto stick / electronic range selection status

EcuConfig4: ERS available
Tried it. Rather, it was like that from OEM.

"Shift Feature Autostick / Electronic Range Select Status: ERS Present"
"ECUConfig4: ERS available"

Does not work to give full time gear number dispaly on the '16 - Gen4. Have to do the button trick to get it to display.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Thanks. I’ll keep poking at the app and see if anything else stands out.

Danny Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I use the switch on the gear shift stalk constantly and it shows the right gear on the display. 2015 Cummins HD.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
For what it’s worth, I also noticed that Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) now has a transmission tune for the ZF8 in the Hemi. The Eco Diesel folks have never said one bad word about them, everybody likes it. GDE can also turn on the gear shift indicator while they are in there.

Still looking for this feature with a configuration setting, but this might be in my future too. They also said it’s fine with my MDS delete engine tune.