Actual Gear display question using Alfa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Plus hitting the - button drops into manual mode at the current gear. So if i put the truck in drive, then hit minus, I also have to hit plus 8 times.

There, are you happy, I explained myself. Now the stars are aligned and you can shut your yap. I don’t want to press the 9 buttons let alone even 1.

Let’s push this baby to 5 pages before someone can answer!!!

Seriously though, what I do is wait until I'm driving and in top gear, then I hit the - button to display actual. 1 time deal, atleast until you shift to reverse or park, then you have to do it again.
Hope if you ever get the answer you can make a youtube video on it so we can see how it's done.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have heard it being done successfully from others. I don’t care that you don’t think it can be done, haven’t heard it done, don’t know anyone that did it…

If you don’t have anything constructive to say then don’t say anything at all
Shouldn't be hard to find these "others" as you say,just message them on here,if they're still active members.
There your problem is solved,all you gotta do is find these "others" :Big Laugh::cheers:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have heard it being done successfully from others. I don’t care that you don’t think it can be done, haven’t heard it done, don’t know anyone that did it…

If you don’t have anything constructive to say then don’t say anything at all

Then why not ask those "others" what they did????

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Yea, that could be an option too. Originally I would put all the way into 8 so my truck didn’t sound like a **** leaving the neighborhood. Now with MDS turned off that’s less of an issue, and likely I could push the - once I’m on the highway, but Im hoping for a better solution.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Man so many people here with time on their hands. (Well not many, the same few people that know who they are)

Way to band together and help make the community learn new things.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Man so many people here with time on their hands. (Well not many, the same few people that know who they are)

I'm just waiting for you to ask the "others" that you claim got it to work. Better yet, show me the posts and I'll ask them.... Feel free to link the information so we can all see it

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Naw it's your attitude that's made a few of us band together ;)
Now it's just fun to see you stumble around:cheers:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Maybe edit in the first post,
P.S.A. "NO ONE YET HAS COME FORWARD WITH A SOLUTION. YOU WILL NOT FIND THE ANSWER IN THESE POSTS"
That way people won't have to read all 5+ pages and not find the answer.
Just a thought.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
You still so sure it’s AlphaODB?

I guess you’re right. You guys know everything.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Wait, please let’s continue discussing how it’s AlphaODB and not AlfaODB. Maybe we can let the developer know he’s got it wrong.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
FWIW, @bountyhunter had it work on a 2017 (or 2018) Eco Diesel from another forum. I know people here said it can’t be done, although I suspect it’s because they didn’t also confirm the setting on the ECU.

Would be nice to learn more about success stories from others to piece together a senario that might also prove to work for the Hemi and other diesels too. That being said I never checked the other diesel ECUs, they may have a setting for “Actual Gear Display”. I just know I saw it on the Eco diesel trucks.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
FWIW, @bountyhunter had it work on a 2017 (or 2018) Eco Diesel from another forum. I know people here said it can’t be done, although I suspect it’s because they didn’t also confirm the setting on the ECU.

Would be nice to learn more about success stories from others to piece together a senario that might also prove to work for the Hemi and other diesels too. That being said I never checked the other diesel ECUs, they may have a setting for “Actual Gear Display”. I just know I saw it on the Eco diesel trucks.

If you actually read that post you would know that bountyhunter had it enabled in his ECU by his tuner......

And I quote... "I had GDE set up both in my trans tune, the gear indicator and the manual shift control."

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
He had it enabled by a tuner on his 2016, yes, but not on the one he did for a friend. Go back and learn how to read.

And I quote... "The gear indicator is on in my '16 due to the transmission tune programming. I have successfully turned on the gear indicator in a '17, so it should be possible in your '18"

Although previously he called it a '18 in reference to his friends truck, so I'm assuming it was an '18 and not a '17...

But by all means continue to tell me how I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
He had it enabled by a tuner on his 2016, yes, but not on the one he did for a friend. Go back and learn how to read.

And I quote... "The gear indicator is on in my '16 due to the transmission tune programming. I have successfully turned on the gear indicator in a '17, so it should be possible in your '18"

Although previously he called it a '18 in reference to his friends truck, so I'm assuming it was an '18 and not a '17...

But by all means continue to tell me how I'm wrong.
Your first post says you're getting it tuned this week to disable MDS,so you'll have to buy an unlocked PCM and bypass cable to accomplish that,get your tuner to use HP to see if he can activate it for you.
Hopefully you realize you need an unlocked PCM on your 19 to be able to go in an disable MDS with a tune
Seems pretty simple to me,spend some money on an unlocked PCM and bypass cable,then pay your tuner to activate it if he can.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
The tuner is unlocking the ECU and disabling MDS for $225 so I figure that's not bad. Mail it out, wait a week for him to do his thing, and install it. Easy peasy.

I know the tuner could configure the truck to show the gear, but they would physically need my truck. It's actually not done through the ECU... it's through the TCM (which isn't locked on our trucks, but it part of the transmission which would make shipping difficult).

So if a guy had HP Tuners and the (4) credits, cables, etc that would be an option to turn it on.

For me though, I'd like to find an option that helps everyone get there.