Actual Gear display question using Alfa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
The Alpha settings worked for turning off the seatbelt noise. But the Gear display settings didn't work on my 2018. At the start of my truck I have to hit the manual shift button then it will display whatever gear I'm in. I was hoping it would do it automatically.
The only time I had seen people post it working was with an additional programmer that they had to keep plugged it to the obdii port all the time. It gave them some other features too.
I'd also like to find a way for the exhaust brake to be on full at startup instead of doing it manually everytime. Between the gear display, exhaust brake, & Uconnect, I feel like a pilot flipping all these switches before takeoff. :)

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
2021 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. The current gear displays just fine, without having to use the + or - buttons. It is an option within the Evic choices to display current gear. So driving in D, display shows D and the actual gear in use at the time. I did check in Alpha that gear display was enabled, but you also have to select that in the options menu.

Display not using gear limiter

1697120366871.jpeg

Display while using gear limiter.

1697120412677.jpeg

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Thanks, I’m specifically looking for Gen 4 vehicles though, either Hemi or Eco diesels for now. Seems like all the Gen 5 folks are all good.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thanks, I’m specifically looking for Gen 4 vehicles though, either Hemi or Eco diesels for now. Seems like all the Gen 5 folks are all good.
I admit it, am guilty of not having read through this whole thread as I get tired of reading really long ALPHA threads. If the info isn't what you want, skip along till what you want shows up. Hopefully it is useful to someone else.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
LOL!!!

This is why I have repeatedly said to some others to keep chatter on threads down. It’s not me being pee’od, it’s being respectful of peoples time. No one wants to read page after page and sift out an answer. Here we are 3 pages deep and already people are skipping to the end.

I don’t want someone with the answer to see that 50 people have already replied to the post and assume I must have received my answer, and don’t bother to post the information I’m actually looking for.

Oh well.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don’t know why this is such a hard concept to understand fellas, but saying it can’t be done is not helping.

There were people that said I couldn’t bypass my seatbelt switch either and lo and behold it’s done (and captured on this forum).

Of course no one will have heard of a solution before it’s figured out, but I’m confident there is someone driving around with this fix, with some seemingly meaningless combination of settings that just “worked” and they never thought twice about it.
Put paddle shifters in your truck,then it gives you an excuse to play with the paddles.

Attachments

• DSCN3838.JPG
    DSCN3838.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN3839.JPG
    DSCN3839.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 5

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sweet paddles…

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Glad to know that someone wanting to add paddle shifters to their truck will find it searching a thread on for Alfa mods to the gear display in the cluster. That’s probably the last place I would have thought to look…

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Glad to know that someone wanting to add paddle shifters to their truck will find it searching a thread on for Alfa mods to the gear display in the cluster. That’s probably the last place I would have thought to look…
On the flip side,some of us are getting really disgusted with your attitude,lol. You seem to have a penchent for blowing off guys who are actually trying to help you out.
As far as i can tell,you want somebody to tell you how to do it,but i've yet to see anything you've actually tried yourself,to accomplish your end goal.
Pay a tuner to figure it out for you,as you can probably do what you want with HP tuning,but that might even be a big "if" to.
I don't think you can do it with Diablo tuning.
Plus you seem to be exceedingly lazy if you can't hit a button with your thumb :Big Laugh: :waytogo:

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
There is no attitude, just doing my best herding cats.

And I don’t see how a discussion on paddle shifters is someone trying to help. Or saying push the button. Or saying it works on a 2020, etc.

Seems like that’s just noise.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There is no attitude, just doing my best herding cats.

And I don’t see how a discussion on paddle shifters is someone trying to help. Or saying push the button. Or saying it works on a 2020, etc.

Seems like that’s just noise.
You haven't really figured out how a forum works have you,lol.Most of them always go off on a bit of a tangent,you're not gonna change that fact,so learn to live with it.
Your idea of "herding" comes off as an atitude to the rest of us,plus you seem to be blowing off the guys who are actually trying to help you,which means you've just become fair game to guys like me,who like to have fun,with somebody who appears to have an attitude "you",lol.
List off what you've tried, to accomplish your goal of having the gear display work the way you want.
Have you actually went through an HP tuning program to see if you can activate it,i'm guessing not,as it sounds like you haven't spent the money to buy an unlocked pcm/bypass cable plus the HP program and credits to actually tune your 19.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Read the OPs opening post if you really want to know the question at hand. I fail to see the need to repeat it for someone that isn’t earnestly trying to help.

To me though it sounds like his goal is to sift through the Alfa dumps and come up with solution that works for us all rather than one using HP Tuners.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Read the OPs opening post if you really want to know the question at hand. I fail to see the need to repeat it for someone that isn’t earnestly trying to help.

To me though it sounds like his goal is to sift through the Alfa dumps and come up with solution that works for us all rather than one using HP Tuners.
You are the OP,and you still haven't said what all you've tried.You seem to think you can do it with AlphaOBD,even though a couple guys have told you it can't be done.
So what exactly have you tried,besides nothing.
Did you actually go through all the AlphaOBD threads to see if you can find anything that'll help you accomplish your goals.
I'm still failing to see why you think it's a big deal to use your thumb to hit the - buttom ,that just seems to be the height of lazy to me.
I think you'll have to suck it up princess and spend some money to accomplish what you want

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
OP, you are acting like you just discovered this and want everyone to band together for a solution. The truth is (as I have mentioned many times) is that many many (very smart) people have tried to work this for ~5 years, and the answer is "it doesn't work" (with alfa alone).
You can continue to live if denial and chastise us for posting but we are not pulling this out of our ****, it's been beat to death already and you have been given the answer.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I have heard it being done successfully from others. I don’t care that you don’t think it can be done, haven’t heard it done, don’t know anyone that did it…

If you don’t have anything constructive to say then don’t say anything at all

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Plus hitting the - button drops into manual mode at the current gear. So if i put the truck in drive, then hit minus, I also have to hit plus 8 times.

There, are you happy, I explained myself. Now the stars are aligned and you can shut your yap. I don’t want to press the 9 buttons let alone even 1.

Let’s push this baby to 5 pages before someone can answer!!!

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
You are the OP,...................
I'm still failing to see why you think it's a big deal to use your thumb to hit the - buttom ,that just seems to be the height of lazy to me.
I think you'll have to suck it up princess and spend some money to accomplish what you want
Maybe he can't afford a new thumb?
Screenshot_20231012_123659_Google.jpg