Adding aftermarket overcab lights - Hard/involved process?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would love to add some overcab orange lights to my 1500 truck. I looked at some instructions about how to do it and it appears very involved, i.e. taking down the headliner, cutting into the roof, etc. If a professional does it, is it that hard/risky? I am just worried about cutting into the metal on the roof and having it leak and also about the process of putting all the interior back together it not fitting right.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
a couple friends of mine have done them with the Recon cab lights. It's not bad, but if you're a little light stomached about drilling into your cab roof, you better get someone to do that part for ya. lol

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I did it, Piece of cake. I bought the OEM set-up (02-08), comes with a big Paper Map type template and complete wiring set-up for $85.00. You could start there and just get the Recon smoked after, or patiently paint your assemblys with VHT ahead of time. The (Holes) Trick is to use a white colour coded saw hole Bit made for metal. Nice clean cuts with cordless drill and with the overall design I have no leaks. I found the plastic roof plugs for the Stainless screws a bit tricky as you have to hold them inside with one hand while torqing the final gap as it spun a bit. The headliner does not have to come out completely, just undo around the door jams to the rear/center post and the overhead thingy in the middle. Hardest part there is accessing the screws in the visors as there is a Trick to opening up access on the plastic clip on part of the visor.

Rubberfrog did a video (under frogaliscus something like that). Start there, and I'm sure our Factory Mopar Vendor can set you up, if needed!

I have to recheck my wiring hook-up as they and my side step lights go out when Highbeam is depressed!