Adding Bed Weight for Winter Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn’t even do that.…lol. All I did was just laid them lengthwise parallel to the bed rails and after a while the bags of sand would conform to the raised grooves in the bed and they really wouldn’t slide around a whole lot.
But U know, with even the 4 X 4, extra weight etc.,. if PPL drive conservatively and understand how their vehicle operates in weather and conditions, and not think, Hey, I got me a 4 X 4, I can go anywhere really helps also. Alas, Common Sense, something that can not be taught.

Snow Wanderer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone add extra weight to the bed of their truck for the winter? If so, how much weight do you add? How much is too much without sacrificing MPG and/or wear and tear on the suspension or tires?
I carry a couple hundred pounds of survival equipment and supplies in my 2019 RAM 1500 Limited 4WD, at all times. The added weight helps with traction in Michigans icy/snowy weather and, if I am ever stranded somewhere, for whatever reason, I can comfortably live in the truck for at least a week or more!

The negligible loss in mpg is made up by the security of being able to survive severely inclement weather without issue. The increased stopping distance should not be a factor since you should ALWAYS have a significant distance between your vehicle and every other vehicle at all times, regardless of weather.

3CUMMINS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 2019 2020
Engine
5.9 6.7HO 6.7
Yup, but not the 2019. It hibernates for the winter.
2004 CTD has 2X4's on their side in the box in such a way that it resembles a checker board. The size of the spaces allow for 2 patio slabs, on top of each other, in each hole and also why the wood is on its side - less wood.
I end up with a slightly higher box floor that can still be used if it needs to be used.
It is a 4WD, need them in Ontario, and I only use 4WD if I have to travel on the 401 when it hasn't been plowed and when I use it to make sure everything runs properly (in the old 4WD's, when they came with manual hubs, you had to drive them for short distances monthly. Just continued the practice only in the winter)
Stops a tad slower and would benefit from the Jake brake, but it works.
Should the 2019 ever have to travel in the winter, it is a definite.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I use to have a steel plate 4 ft sq , 1/2" thick I would bolt in the back of the box on my run around , fuel truck, my other one , a couple bags of sand , or sometimes salt in later yrs.
These days , nothing as everything is AWD or 4wd, and I can't lift much any more.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But U know, with even the 4 X 4, extra weight etc.,. if PPL drive conservatively and understand how their vehicle operates in weather and conditions, and not think, Hey, I got me a 4 X 4, I can go anywhere really helps also. Alas, Common Sense, something that can not be taught.
Oh, I know but you see, no one’s perfect and even if you already do have this mindset of one of the best things you can do while driving on ice is to do everything slower- turn slow, accelerate slow and slow and stop slower, there may be a time where we forget that.

RoMac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I run about 200 pounds in the back almost year round in the form of a wooden carpet kit. I will have various gear in the cabinets as well, probably about 250 pounds of extra weight at any moment. I drive in snow in the mountains of Utah that can vary from just fine to terrible. When it is terrible, it helps for sure.

Ralph Mauro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Regardless of what anyone has to say extra weight in the back of a pick up will 100% give you better traction which will help the back of the truck stay in line with the front. Having better traction will work on take off and stopping, having said that you still have to use good judgment for winter road conditions. I'm using 4 x 20kg. bages of water softener salt and bring it inside to use in March. Makes a big difference with my worn snow tires, may be go through a tank of gas per month.

Ram1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone add extra weight to the bed of their truck for the winter? If so, how much weight do you add? How much is too much without sacrificing MPG and/or wear and tear on the suspension or tires?
Before adding weight I suggest you check with Transportation Authorities. Although weight is good for added traction when starting off it does nothing while moving at 40mph(60kmph). What it does do at speed is increase stopping distance, inceases skidding and if not 100% secure it can become a lethal projectile if you go off the road or hit something head on. That 40lb bag of sand can kill.

Ralph Mauro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Extra weight in the trunk of a front wheel drive vehicle makes h huge difference, feels much safer too

Nedap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought 4 Milk Crates, added a liner, and put an 80 pound bag of mixed concrete in each. Leveled them out and let concrete cure. Now I have about 250 pounds by placing all four in the back beside tail gate and strap them in. Now every year when snow or ice is first forecast, I place the crates in back and strap them down. Spring time comes, take them out and they stack nicely with 1 square foot footprint in corner of garage.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used to add a few cinder blocks to my old trucks. I have a Cap on the back now
and will be adding an Aux Fuel tank in the Spring which, if I keep full, would give
me the extra weight.

Malodave
when you add the auxiliary tank, does it need a fuel pump to transfer fuel? Does it need any special vacuum lines like the original tank?

just asking out of curiosity

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before adding weight I suggest you check with Transportation Authorities. Although weight is good for added traction when starting off it does nothing while moving at 40mph(60kmph). What it does do at speed is increase stopping distance, inceases skidding and if not 100% secure it can become a lethal projectile if you go off the road or hit something head on. That 40lb bag of sand can kill.
I really don’t think adding around 100 pounds of ballast weight to the bed of your truck is really gonna make your stopping distance that much more when your stopping distance is already greatly reduced as it is due to the roads being slick. There’s gonna be a trade-off, no matter what. Not enough weight in the bed can cause your back wheels to lock up a lot easier and put you into a skid just the same as too much weight can push you along a lot further distance with increased momentum, but you’d have to be really heavy at that point.

The real key to driving on slippery roads is to do everything slower. Adding weight does help but in certain circumstances, it could hinder as well.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I live in Canada. 2WD yes 4WD no.
Gotta' say, best vehicle I have ever had in snow is a Geo Storm hatchback with 4 snows. Front wheel drive, 3 speed automatic and maybe 80 hp. It literally went up the side of a mountain all the time, never ever got stuck despite over 80k miles in it. Only downside was after about 10 inches of snow I looked like one of those plowing trains in Canada. I have never been as confident that I could start, stop and steer as well as in that. Again, measured snow in hundreds of inches when I had that.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, I know but you see, no one’s perfect and even if you already do have this mindset of one of the best things you can do while driving on ice is to do everything slower- turn slow, accelerate slow and slow and stop slower, there may be a time where we forget that.
Perfection not the topic, Common Sense is, lol.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotta' say, best vehicle I have ever had in snow is a Geo Storm hatchback with 4 snows. Front wheel drive, 3 speed automatic and maybe 80 hp. It literally went up the side of a mountain all the time, never ever got stuck despite over 80k miles in it. Only downside was after about 10 inches of snow I looked like one of those plowing trains in Canada. I have never been as confident that I could start, stop and steer as well as in that. Again, measured snow in hundreds of inches when I had that.
Best thing I ever had in snow 74 Jeep Cherokee. Worst thing was an 82 Chevy Citation, FWD, one of those X drive cars, that was one I should have not bought.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I had a little 2 door 86 K-car with the 2.2/5 speed and 14" tires ,with good winter tires on that thing,it would grind itself through snow better then anything i've had since. Some of the smaller front wheel drive cars are amazing in snow

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drive on winter roads for 6 months a year. My ram truck is doing good on the road without load, but I had an asian truck that wouldn't go any where without a 300 lbs load. It doesn't take much weight to get better traction, and adding a simple load directly over the suspension is good in my opinion, since you can have 4-5 more people in the truck while driving, adding a little weight on the bed is not going to to anything bad to the braking distance when you're driving solo. However it's crucial you strap the load correctly and firm otherwise it could be a potential danger to you and others as are all unstrapped cargo.