Adding Factory Sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SourSamo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Hello!

new 2017 1500 owner and have the most basic of stereos in the truck. I managed to find someone locally selling the factory under seat subwoofer for super cheap so picked it up.
- is my current radio capable of connecting to it?
- there is a small white cable on the sub and I see another end up near the side of the back of the seat bottom, do I need a cable to connect the two?
- if this requires a head unit I do plan on putting in a double din so would need to adapt the sub to I'm guessing RCAs

Thanks for your help!

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You are going to need an amp to run the sub. You can pull a signal from the speaker wires that run to the back doors and run to a LOC of some kind, or you can wait until you replace the head unit and run RCAs off the new head unit to whatever amp you buy. The OEM sub wont handle much power, so I would recommend replacing it with a shallow mount sub of some flavor. I personally have a kicker shallow mount sub in my factory box. A lot of people also like the pioneer. Both are 2ohm DVC subs, which is what the OEM sub is as well. Since you are going to need an aftermarket amp, you can really use any sub that will fit, just match the amp specs to the sub you get, if you go that route.

That being said, the factory box is pretty much garbage. I tried adding some sound deadener to as much of the outside and inside as I could, but I'm not sure how much it helped since I did it at the same time I replaced the sub.

OP
OP
S

SourSamo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
You are going to need an amp to run the sub. You can pull a signal from the speaker wires that run to the back doors and run to a LOC of some kind, or you can wait until you replace the head unit and run RCAs off the new head unit to whatever amp you buy. The OEM sub wont handle much power, so I would recommend replacing it with a shallow mount sub of some flavor. I personally have a kicker shallow mount sub in my factory box. A lot of people also like the pioneer. Both are 2ohm DVC subs, which is what the OEM sub is as well. Since you are going to need an aftermarket amp, you can really use any sub that will fit, just match the amp specs to the sub you get, if you go that route.

Is there a wiring guide or adapter plug for the stock plug on the sub box? Thanks for the info!

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The stock plug on the sub box is just +/- from each voice coil. For whatever reason, the alpine system has each voice coil wired separately back to the amp, instead of like most DVC setups which are wired either in series or parallel.

Mathis is the wiring diagram for the OEM sub.

B3586B47-4F41-4599-872E-D9359161513B.png