Adding OEM puddle lamp & turn signal mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve searched through the forum and found mixed answers to this topic.

I have a 2012 Express that came with heated power mirrors (non-power folding) I’ve read some threads here about adding the turn signal/puddle light mirrors to an Express model that didn’t come with that option. Some have been able to go to the dealer and have them activated. Others have not.

According to an internet search I did earlier, I found an article originating from a different Ram forum (that was 4-5 years old) stating that they can’t be added at the dealer and to hardwire them in is the only way. This led to a 3hr long process which included tearing the dash apart and the headliner with unavailable photos of the process.

I’d really like to avoid all that. I’m not scared to do some wiring work, but tearing apart the whole interior to do so seems excessive.

I bought a nice set of mirrors from a member here and I pulled my passenger side door panel off to get an idea of what I’ll be dealing with.

The door module has two active ports which the puddle lamp mirrors plugged right into. (My OEM mirror uses only one of those ports) Of course, it doesn’t work. No turn signal, no puddle lamp. Heat & power works.

So, is this something that the dealer can do, or not? Is there a way to tell? Do I need to replace my door modules with ones from a Ram that was equipped with those mirrors? Looking at my door module tells me the port is there for a reason and that it should work... if activated... right?

If this isn’t an option, has anyone here hardwired these mirrors into their truck that didn’t have to play demo derby on the interior? I couldn’t find an article with an install write-up or guide regarding this topic. Some said they did it and then the thread went cold after that. Some of the others are a couple years old.

I’d really appreciate any input/assistance from anyone who has been through this. I called a local dealer to explain the situation and the service advisor actually hung up on me in mid sentence. I called back and no answer. Real professional...

I don’t want to install the mirrors and drive to the dealership to see if they can activate them only to be told it can’t be done.

Thanks in advance for anyone’s help, I really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I went to the dealer last week and asked about adding the power fold mirrors. They said they could add the turn signals & the courtesy lights, but they could not add the actual power fold part to my VIN. I could have done the OBGenie or hard wire them, I didn’t want to do either. So I decided not to do this mod.

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Did you get power fold or just mirrors with the puddle lamps and turn signals. What is the part number? What did they com off of? For power folding you will need door switch. For turn signals the alpha obd software might be a good option. Try posting pictures of both mirror connectors.

I added tow mirrors non power folding to my 2017 Express and with help with members @Ghost_RAM here and the software / adapter everything worked perfectly for me with no other changes.

Power fold may also take different modules but not sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seen this and was going to post but read the 2012 part. As of right now, AlfaOBD does not support years prior to 2013, but the developer is working with a member here on his 2012. As @Jkieffer said, we need a few more specifics on the mirrors.

As far as dealer activating the puddles and turns, they should be able to. Sounds like your dealer is just like mine and is either not knowledgeable enough or just doesn't want to. I replaced my 16' mirrors on my Express with premium mirrors from a Laramie (chrome capped) and have enabled the puddle and signals with AlfaOBD. I put the power fold on momentary switches in the door panel. Works great and I have them individually set with the help of a write up by Ricks Ram on a thread he created.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/power-folding-mirrors-for-express-tradesman.75485/#post-1148273

Edit: And yes, you would need to change the drivers switch and both door modules for the power fold to work like factory.

OP
OP
KiltedCelt01

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you get power fold or just mirrors with the puddle lamps and turn signals. What is the part number? What did they com off of? For power folding you will need door switch. For turn signals the alpha obd software might be a good option. Try posting pictures of both mirror connectors.

I added tow mirrors non power folding to my 2017 Express and with help with members @Ghost_RAM here and the software / adapter everything worked perfectly for me with no other changes.

I will get photos of the connectors. The mirrors I bought are LED turn signal & puddle lamp, non-power folding.

Here’s a photo of the sticker on the new mirror, and the plugs. I’ll post a photo of the OEM plug & door module in my truck in a little bit. 8f0ed5c54c417878a577d9ce2f54bef1.jpg5b6f5596e19ed1533332e2536bec636c.jpg

OP
OP
KiltedCelt01

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seen this and was going to post but read the 2012 part. As of right now, AlfaOBD does not support years prior to 2013, but the developer is working with a member here on his 2012. As @Jkieffer said, we need a few more specifics on the mirrors.

As far as dealer activating the puddles and turns, they should be able to. Sounds like your dealer is just like mine and is either not knowledgeable enough or just doesn't want to. I replaced my 16' mirrors on my Express with premium mirrors from a Laramie (chrome capped) and have enabled the puddle and signals with AlfaOBD. I put the power fold on momentary switches in the door panel. Works great and I have them individually set with the help of a write up by Ricks Ram on a thread he created.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/power-folding-mirrors-for-express-tradesman.75485/#post-1148273

Edit: And yes, you would need to change the drivers switch and both door modules for the power fold to work like factory.

Thank you for posting that link and the info. Tapatalk, for whatever reason, won’t allow me to search RamForum. I have to log into the desktop site to do that.

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, those are non power folding. I would try another dealer honestly. They aren't tow mirrors are they? Forgot to mention that in my previous post. If they are you will also need the support brackets for them.

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for posting that link and the info. Tapatalk, for whatever reason, won’t allow me to search RamForum. I have to log into the desktop site to do that.

No problem at all. Search isn't the best even when logged in sometimes.

OP
OP
KiltedCelt01

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, those are non power folding. I would try another dealer honestly. They aren't tow mirrors are they? Forgot to mention that in my previous post. If they are you will also need the support brackets for them.

No, they are not tow mirrors. Just Sport mirrors.

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, they are not tow mirrors. Just Sport mirrors.

Then you should not have to change anything other than install both plugs on both sides if it is similar to mine. You should only need to change the door modules/switch when you add the power folding. Once the codes are activated they will work. An honest shop should only charge you for and hour or less shop labor rate.

The 13'+ guys are lucky now that we have Alfa as there are a few things even a dealer cannot do for anyone.

OP
OP
KiltedCelt01

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then you should not have to change anything other than install both plugs on both sides if it is similar to mine. You should only need to change the door modules/switch when you add the power folding. Once the codes are activated they will work. An honest shop should only charge you for and hour or less shop labor rate.

The 13'+ guys are lucky now that we have Alfa as there are a few things even a dealer cannot do for anyone.

Here’s the stock mirror plug and the door module with the stock mirror plugged in if you need to see them.

There’s another dealership not too far from me, I’m going to give them a try.
df3439d218be1c841ccd21970c13401a.jpg
38699d311804e534107eefaaa9c8634a.jpg

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Anyone know while we are on the subject if these mirrors would through CEL or code on truck 2014 and above. The temp sensor possibly? I believe these were 2012 with power fold. 4b189ffc8ee25afce559f450972f4f50.jpg60e5f8e78ed1dec2c18dd1d67e675888.jpgcf641c21e6159a3613d0ee898c42ccf0.jpg

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@KiltedCelt01 Not sure what all if any difference there are between the two, but your door module looks like mine. You just need to install mirrors and plug in the additional white plug to the module. Hopefully the other dealer will be a little more interested in your business.

@Jkieffer They are definitely power fold from the image you supplied. However, I can't answer your other questions.

OP
OP
KiltedCelt01

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Ghost_RAM & @Jkieffer thank you both so much for your input and assistance. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this. I love this forum.

OP
OP
KiltedCelt01

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome! Thank you! I have an appt. with another dealer tomorrow at 11. I told them the situation and the service advisor said they would do it. Fingers crossed.

No problem at all! Let me know how it turns out. At least now you do have another option which is cheaper than OBDGenie.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Anyone know while we are on the subject if these mirrors would through CEL or code on truck 2014 and above. The temp sensor possibly? I believe these were 2012 with power fold.

JKieffer I'm still researching this is as well, b/c I want those mirrors lol. Here's some of the threads talking about the temp sensor issue though, it's not looking good :(

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/tow-mirrors.103563/

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/mirror-swap-questions.115020/

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/tow-mirrors.120278/#post-1729375

Twistedautosports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Old thread i know but iv been wanting to do the power fold on my 09 ram slt i have the alpha obd software if anyone has a walk through i would greatly appreciate it.

20190530_143039.jpg