Adding remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemmy
I was thinking about adding a factory remote start to my truck. Is there a way I could program the new key fobs without going to the dealer?

Last edited:

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I was thinking about adding a factory remote start to my truck. Is there a way I could program the now key fobs without going to the dealer?
I say buy a kit that comes with new fobs and have those programmed to the truck. The factory fobs dont have the button in the green board to support it

Blue Mule

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I've thought about doin this to my truck but it's like $90 to program each fob here

Blue Mule

OP
OP
2019 Ram Classic
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemmy
I was going to buy the kit, it’s a complete kit with hood latch and 2 fobs. Want to know if the fobs could be programmed without going to the dealer

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As long as you have a working fob, there used to be a way to program additional fobs at home. The new fobs should be able to be programmed to your truck the same way. I’d have to look up the procedure though.

SportySportSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had factory remote start added to my 16, they gave me 2 new fob keys. There are too many things that go along with what the factory remote start does. When my truck starts remotely the seat heaters turn on when it's cold or the seat fans turn on when it's hot out. I'm not sure what all is involved with adding the remote start or if all it is plug n play. I figured for what I paid for my truck doing something half assed to save a $100 really doesn't make sense. There are so many computers I would feel like an ass if I fried something that ended up costing more for being cheap. On the other hand my step daughter had remote start added to her car and she was cheap and ended up having 2 fobs one for her car and one for her remote start....

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should be able to program the oem fobs using alfaodb.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was thinking about adding a factory remote start to my truck. Is there a way I could program the new key fobs without going to the dealer?
You don’t even need to use the fobs out of the kit. Your current fobs already have the remote start button, and you just need to change the rubber overlay pad to one like this- https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...&qid=1577103927&sprefix=ram+1500+fob+&sr=8-12

Check into this thread, it will be the same for your truck- https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-add-remote-start-to-2017-ram.99849/

You can enable the remote start and program fobs yourself with AlfaOBD. If you don’t want to, or have a way to enable the remote start yourself, you have to take the truck to the dealer anyway to add the sales code. So, in that case, you might as well just have them program the fobs, too.