Adding winch for receiver as well as accessories?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adv dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will be adding a winch that will mount in the front and rear receiver of the truck. My question is " Can I tap into the power going to the rear quick disconnect so that I can run some other accessories/ lights in the bed of the truck without having to run more wires?"

I was going to run 2 gauge wire.

Thoughts?

TY

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check full load amps and factor voltage drop and length
If a small winch it should be ok
Yes but fuse for the light wire to accessories

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Very likely you will need to run heavier wires. The current to run a winch is often higher than that needed to charge a battery, which is what the connector near the rear hitch is designed for. A normal winch cable should look like the ones connected to the battery, as those are needed for the starter, then look at the size of the cable coming off the alternator, that is what is used to charge a battery. quite a size difference.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If you plan to do any serious pulling a receiver mounted winch is a bad idea. Straight pull they work pretty good, any angle, side load or pulley blocks and you are going to have issues. Mount you front winch permanently at least. Gas powered winch for pulling from the back and for other uses is easier to get along with and can be used with multiple vehicles, jet boats etc.

61D-xexa3RL._SL1200_.jpg

If you do decide to go forward with an electric winch on hte back, run welding cable from the back hitch to the battery for power. I would suggest 3/0 welding cable for a 9000 pound winch. None of the wiring that is already on the truck is heavy enough to handle that load. Max pull can be over 500 AMPs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn