Additional Equipment Considerations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
My wife and I are considering a travel trailer. Hoping to rent one this spring to see how we like it before making any purchases, but looking at what it will require. We have looked at several trailer layouts and we like the look of the Wolf Pump 16FQ (maybe 16FQBL) as a nice size trailer for us. The numbers on this trailer look great for my truck, which is light on payload based on the equipment it has on it. [Payload 1286 / Max trailer weight 3944] From what I see on the numbers, I could have around 300 lbs of capacity on the truck after putting us and the dog in the truck with a max loaded trailer. Seems like a nice to fit to me. So the question - since I will be approaching max payload in this set up is there additional equipment / modifications that would make the ride and handling better? I am assuming a WDH would be needed just to keep the rear axle from being overloaded, but maybe ok without it. Would need to get it on scales to know. Anyone with experience have some suggestions on what is worth doing and what is a waste of money?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
You will get a ton of suggestions and here is mine, get the WDH and get it setup correctly. Get the weight balance on the trailer correct 10-12% tongue weight and pull it around before you do anything else. If it is ok, you are done. If not then start digging in.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
That said...i pull my Gulf Stream Vintage 19ERD with no WDH and it is fine. But that is me. I am very used to towing. My truck is bone stock on the 22s.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good advice above. My added suggestion is ignore bags, they have their uses but in my opinion just add things to go wrong. You should be good without them based your information and if you want to go bigger trailer some day, pick the trailer first then get the right truck for it. Good luck, and have fun!

OP
OP
Beltsand

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well, plans being plans, we did something completely different. Put a deposit on a 1805RB. Trailer is a little heavier, has WAY more capacity that I'll never be able to use with this truck, but works out to give me about a 1200 lbs more in combined weight (more cargo with the more trailer) and more space in the floor plan. Estimate I can get up to about 5320 of the possible 7600 lbs the trailer is rated for before maxing out the truck, unless I leave everyone else behind, then I can max out both truck and trailer payloads.

Jim welsh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I added the brake controller helps with trailer stopping and if the trailer gets squirley you can grab it to straighten the trailer and I put in a better rear spring keeps me nice and level and tow mirrors to help see the end of the trailer and a wdh up here they won't let you off the lot with out it. I pull a 5000 lb camper nice and smooth no problems

OP
OP
Beltsand

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well, plans being plans, we did something completely different. Put a deposit on a 1805RB. Trailer is a little heavier, has WAY more capacity that I'll never be able to use with this truck, but works out to give me about a 1200 lbs more in combined weight (more cargo with the more trailer) and more space in the floor plan. Estimate I can get up to about 5320 of the possible 7600 lbs the trailer is rated for before maxing out the truck, unless I leave everyone else behind, then I can max out both truck and trailer payloads.

Finally got the truck and trailer on a set of scales.

Truck only Truck & Trailer
steer 3660 3620
drive 2800 3460
trailer 4360
Total 6460 11440

All the weights are in spec, but I think with a little load adjustment, I could manage a little more cargo in the trailer. I did have some stuff in the bed of the truck that could be moved, and a little adjustment in how the trailer is loaded could help. Overall, feel pretty good that the setup is going to work well.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good advice above. My added suggestion is ignore bags, they have their uses but in my opinion just add things to go wrong. You should be good without them based your information and if you want to go bigger trailer some day, pick the trailer first then get the right truck for it. Good luck, and have fun!
^^^ DITTO ^^^

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally got the truck and trailer on a set of scales.

Truck only Truck & Trailer
steer 3660 3620
drive 2800 3460
trailer 4360
Total 6460 11440

All the weights are in spec, but I think with a little load adjustment, I could manage a little more cargo in the trailer. I did have some stuff in the bed of the truck that could be moved, and a little adjustment in how the trailer is loaded could help. Overall, feel pretty good that the setup is going to work well.
OK, WDH a must. You do not want to be pulling the wind sail behind you and you being wagged by the tail, IMHO. IF you R going just a very short distance, prob OK. But you talking about miles and a lot of varied conditions and landscape, a WDH (decent one) in your future, IMHO...

I pull a 2150 lb stock trailer with 4-5,000 lbs of hay in it. I do not use a WDH, but I am only towing like 8 miles local. IF I was traveling far or on an interstate, I would use a WDH.

OP
OP
Beltsand

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
OK, WDH a must. You do not want to be pulling the wind sail behind you and you being wagged by the tail, IMHO. IF you R going just a very short distance, prob OK. But you talking about miles and a lot of varied conditions and landscape, a WDH (decent one) in your future, IMHO...

I pull a 2150 lb stock trailer with 4-5,000 lbs of hay in it. I do not use a WDH, but I am only towing like 8 miles local. IF I was traveling far or on an interstate, I would use a WDH.

Absolutely! WDH from the start, and no way would I have pulled on the road without it. The front axle gets really light before the load bars are set.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Absolutely! WDH from the start, and no way would I have pulled on the road without it. The front axle gets really light before the load bars are set.
Well, if U R not well versed in WDH's ask, but definitely get a decent one. I cannot offer any advice, as I have never had a WDH or gone far, just local pulls.

OP
OP
Beltsand

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well, if U R not well versed in WDH's ask, but definitely get a decent one. I cannot offer any advice, as I have never had a WDH or gone far, just local pulls.
It is my first WDH. An E2 with 1000 lb load bars. Watched several videos and read reviews before buying the trailer. I am not 100% sure it is set up as best it can be, but it drives well and I only have 40 lbs less on my steer axle as set up currently. If any experts know, should I adjust it to get a little more weight forward, or is this about where it should be?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
If that's your first time setting up a WDH, you are only 40lbs. off on the weight from unhitched and hitched, on the front axle, I would say you are good to go with your setup.