ADJUSTABLE OEM AIR BOX MOD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adv dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have done a lot of research in all the forums researching the air box mods. Not a big fan of turning my airbox into swiss cheese nor the toilet flange mod. Looking at the drawbacks of those mods, I came up with one of my own. This can be altered depending on conditions, simple and cheap. Works very well. I noticed my truck runs much cooler with a much better throttle response. Very noticeable at freeway speeds.

Parts

airb drain.jpgairb elbow.jpgexpoxy airb.jpg

I was careful to make sure the whole was cut so it was a tight fit. I did put some more holes in the side of the airbox with the oem opening as well as a couple in the rear of the box. This allowed more air with out sucking in warm air or debris. Pointed the elbow towards the front of the truck so that it has a better ability to get the cool fresh air.

parts airb.jpgcomplete airb.jpg

I used some 40 stainless steel mesh with a hose clamp to cover the opening to prevent debris from making it up into the box. Best part of this mod is that if you are in harsh conditions such as COLD, DUSTY, WATER CROSSINGS you can screw the cap that comes with the kit in to seal off the intake. I hope this helps others to make their trucks better.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
It appears you have holes in the air box. If so you need to seal the air box.

Think of it this way. The air is going into the box from your tube and takes the path of least resistance which is out the holes, not through the filter. Also, that mesh is slowing down the air flow. If you have a filter, you don't need the mesh.

The best you can hope for is this when you plug up the holes and remove the mesh: You are driving down the highway and the force of the air increases the air pressure in the box and a bit more air gets into the engine.

The second best you can hope for after you plug the holes is that the air getting into the box is a bit cooler then the factory set up.

OP
OP
A

adv dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can say the truck runs great. Runs cooler and with more power. While coming back into San Diego from Yuma pulling a small dump trailer, I was able to run up the hills and stay in 6th gear. The truck has more power. It is able to keep pulling instead of dropping rpms and losing power. I have gotten over 1 mpg better on my trip to Arkansas, but I did do the Spyntec free spin hub upgrade at the same time. Both are great upgrades and I highly recommend.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I can say the truck runs great. Runs cooler and with more power. While coming back into San Diego from Yuma pulling a small dump trailer, I was able to run up the hills and stay in 6th gear. The truck has more power. It is able to keep pulling instead of dropping rpms and losing power. I have gotten over 1 mpg better on my trip to Arkansas, but I did do the Spyntec free spin hub upgrade at the same time. Both are great upgrades and I highly recommend.

And you got the tail wind by going west to east.