Adjustable Panhard Bar- Spohn vs Core?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recently had my Spohn panhard bar fail and am in need of replacing it.

Curious if anyone has experience with the Core 4x4 one? It's not shown on their website yet but was told its possible to order it.

I'm a little reluctant to put the Spohn one back in after it failed and thought i'd try and upgrade it if i could. Being that the Core bar is almost twice as much I want to get some feedback before I pay a monstrous amount for the Core one?

or is there another option i dont know about?

appreciate the help,

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Recently had my Spohn panhard bar fail and am in need of replacing it.

Curious if anyone has experience with the Core 4x4 one? It's not shown on their website yet but was told its possible to order it.

I'm a little reluctant to put the Spohn one back in after it failed and thought i'd try and upgrade it if i could. Being that the Core bar is almost twice as much I want to get some feedback before I pay a monstrous amount for the Core one?

or is there another option i dont know about?

appreciate the help,

Did you track down Rob at Cutter-up Andrew? The bars he makes are indestructible ,lol

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Core4x4 Panhard and I can tell you it’s heavy duty. I have the control arms and sway bar end links from Core4x4 as well. Just email Spence Schramm and tell him your trucks specs what you want. He can/has also made them with a bend in them for diff cover clearance.

F7F459DC-A8DA-4320-8447-AF5E1B024C38.jpeg

E87D2ED5-DC3F-44C4-AEA9-383668BC34EA.jpeg

99576839-555A-49BD-9243-06391EABD39D.jpeg

FB6F4D11-0AA5-4352-8540-A09AA2219B89.jpeg

40A709AF-11E9-4DBD-ADFE-258A0DF4099E.jpeg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What part of the Spohn panhard failed on you?

I think the threads pulled out of Andrews bar Gary. He bought the bar off me a few years ago,at the time I had switched over to Cutter-ups bar,and I tried talking him into springing for one of Robs bars,as I wasn't impressed with Spohns bar,but I think sticker shock got to him,lol.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the threads pulled out of Andrews bar Gary. He bought the bar off me a few years ago,at the time I had switched over to Cutter-ups bar,and I tried talking him into springing for one of Robs bars,as I wasn't impressed with Spohns bar,but I think sticker shock got to him,lol.

Got ya. I have a squeak under mine that I believe is the panhard. I have greased it but the squeak is still there. Starting to **** me off....I can deal w/ loud catless exhaust all day but random squeaks, rattles & noises drive me insane lol

OP
OP
BrBlack

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rick is correct. The adjustment part stripped out of the passenger side. Not sure if it loosened off then while driving then it pulled the remaining threads out?

Found out the hard way while driving home with bikes in the truck and a trailer in tow. Gave the truck a serious side to side wiggle. Very scary with the wife and kid in the truck.
While driving the next day to get it looked at you could see the LR tire pushing out past the box side of the truck. A local shop has set the axle back in place and welded the bar solid so I could get around safely.

Now I'm looking to replace the bar.

Thing is the Core 4x4 bar is over twice the cost of a Spohn one. $432 CAD vs $185 CAD both shipped. I'm trying to think if my experience is a one off and using another Spohn bar would give me no issue. But the other half of me is thinking "just get the bigger one"

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Rick is correct. The adjustment part stripped out of the passenger side. Not sure if it loosened off then while driving then it pulled the remaining threads out?

Found out the hard way while driving home with bikes in the truck and a trailer in tow. Gave the truck a serious side to side wiggle. Very scary with the wife and kid in the truck.
While driving the next day to get it looked at you could see the LR tire pushing out past the box side of the truck. A local shop has set the axle back in place and welded the bar solid so I could get around safely.

Now I'm looking to replace the bar.

Thing is the Core 4x4 bar is over twice the cost of a Spohn one. $432 CAD vs $185 CAD both shipped. I'm trying to think if my experience is a one off and using another Spohn bar would give me no issue. But the other half of me is thinking "just get the bigger one"
I was going to ask what happened until I saw Gary ask. I have been using/selling the Spohn panhard bar for years, and yours is the first I have heard of to do this. Have you tried reaching out to Spohn to see if they will do anything for you as a warranty repair/replace?

OP
OP
BrBlack

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was going to ask what happened until I saw Gary ask. I have been using/selling the Spohn panhard bar for years, and yours is the first I have heard of to do this. Have you tried reaching out to Spohn to see if they will do anything for you as a warranty repair/replace?

Have not called Spohn.
I bought the bar used from a local guy. He's a member here also. Being that i was not the original owner i didn't think the warranty would extend to me.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Have not called Spohn.
I bought the bar used from a local guy. He's a member here also. Being that i was not the original owner i didn't think the warranty would extend to me.
Its at least worth a phone call. I know they have sent replacement bushings to guys who bought used arms in the past. They may be willing to help you out before you drop another couple hundred dollars on a new one.

OP
OP
BrBlack

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its at least worth a phone call. I know they have sent replacement bushings to guys who bought used arms in the past. They may be willing to help you out before you drop another couple hundred dollars on a new one.

Thank you for chiming in. I'll call them now before I go and place an order.
Over the years you guys have really helped me out.

OP
OP
BrBlack

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Called Spohn customer service and was told that they typically do not warranty any of their parts.

Unfortunate.

With respect to my case they will review some photos and see if there is anything they can do.
Will email photos shortly.

OP
OP
BrBlack

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heard back from Spohn regarding any warranty on the bar.

"The cause of that is driving with a loose jam nut and then eventually the threads fail. You want to check those jam nuts for tightness at every service interval. We recommend using blue Loctite on them once the length is set.

We can sell you just the short portion of the bar and a new adjuster. That should fix you up. Just give us a call during business hours."

Wanted to share these photos of my repaired bar also.
IMG_1068.JPG
IMG_1066.JPG

Being that the shop I use to do my alignments would have set the PH bar, I cant really comment on if they used loctite. Now i know i should double check this in the future.

The solution of replacing the pieces doesn't appeal to me and after looking at the Core 4x4 bar and comparing it to the Spohn one, I will likely pony up for it.

I feel the lock nut setup is a bit more robust and could help me in the long run.

Guess you have to pay to play.....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Spohn's stuff is pretty light duty Matt.There's been reports of guys breaking the ends off their locating arms.Look at the issues guys have had with their bushings. I quit recommending their stuff a few years ago..You get what you pay for and Spohn stuff is definitely on the cheap side of the scale as far as suspension components go.