Advice on 14-17 Ram 2500 - Matter which year?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Norrov

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hey guys! I’ve finally decided to give my 08 to my parents and get me a CCSB Cummins or Duramax.

Honestly I’ve always been a mopar/Cummins guy but my last few work trucks have been Duramax LTs and Ive liked them.

It’ll be a daily driver (Denver) and I will not be towing often, just pulling a skid steer or my gooseneck around once a month or so.

The 17 Duramax seems to be more DD friendly but I haven’t really tried the 14+ Cummins, mine is an 08 QCLB that’s deleted and tuned. Love it but kinda want something new.

Spec wise the 14-17 Rams look the same, just wanted to see if they fixed anything in the later models that’ll make it worth spending the extra for a 17 vs a 15 or 16.

Planning on keeping it 10+ years. And will probably have to keep the emissions on as we may move to CA.

Ram boxes look awesome too, tough to find though. Anyone have issues with them?

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I have a 2011 Ram w/Cummins that is fully deleted and I love it, but if I wanted a truck that was not deleted and tuned I would probably opt for a GM Duramax. I have a friend that bought a new 3500 SRW Danali 4x4 Duramax in 2014 and I was truly impressed by the performance when I have ridden in it and the fuel mileage he reported on his trips to Washington tri-cities, 20+mpg. If you were planning on doing more towing I would advise the Cummins because no pickup pulls like a Cummins IMO. Also, I think the top models of GM trucks have a more refined, comfortable interior than the Ram.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Model year 2013 brought a ton of changes to the electronics and emissions over the previous 4th gens which also brought some problems. After that, the changes to features have been minimal aside from the sensitivity of the canbus system.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
I live in Washington and had to have the California emission sticker to register. If you want to take the truck to California, make sure it has the California emission sticker.