Advice on pacbreak oil filter relocation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am going to install the pacbreak oil filter relocation kit, on my 2021 bighorn 5.7 hemi. Any advice or tips

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please keep us posted, and pictures if possible. The Pacbrake oil filter relocation kit has been on my list of "wants", and to do, but I just keep putting it off. From everything I have read and viewed, it looks pretty straight forward to install.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
You got a link. I’m sick of changing the oil in my ram already and I’ve only done it once

Again, links are included in those other threads but here I did the work for you.
2 different kits available for 2019+ based on your truck, 1500 or 2500/3500.

This link below is the webpage for all the Ram Truck kits.

Last edited:

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have the PacBrake kit (HP10362) I am installing next week. One thing I am noticing is the mounting location is fully boxed. There is no way to get the nuts in there. The metal is just over 1/8" so not enough for tapping. I'm thinking of using nutserts to mount it. Curious for others feedback on how they were able to mount the bracket.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I have the PacBrake kit (HP10362) I am installing next week. One thing I am noticing is the mounting location is fully boxed. There is no way to get the nuts in there. The metal is just over 1/8" so not enough for tapping. I'm thinking of using nutserts to mount it. Curious for others feedback on how they were able to mount the bracket.
It is posted in the links of the search above.
Here is the link
Thread 'Pac-Brake Oil Filter Relocation Kit' https://www.ramforum.com/threads/pac-brake-oil-filter-relocation-kit.189635/
Screenshot_20230708-193620_Chrome.jpg

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have it installed, pretty happy with it. It appears to be quite high quality but I haven't had it installed that long. Looking forward to my first oil change with it!

I had zero issues getting the relocation bracket installed, that was literally the easiest part (maybe the 5th gens is different?). I had a hard time getting the hoses mounted to the original filter bits though, not a whole lot of room to work in that area and the wrench was too long etc etc. But I'm not much of a mechanic either.

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ordered my pacbrake kit last weekend. Hopefully installing it this or next weekend. Looking foward to less mess when changing the oil :)

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Mount the bracket to the frame first. Then mount the filter attachment to the bracket. It's too heavy to install as one unit by yourself IMHO. It only had to bounce off of my face once to convince me of that. Be sure to put the 3 mounting bolts for the filter mount on the bracket before bolting it into place.

The two nuts and washers for the bracket mount are a pain to install but it can be done. I was able to slip my fingers into the frame and place the washer and nut on the bottom mounting bolt. I was able to slip the washer in on the top bolt from the top and have it hang on the bolt by a thread or two while placing the nut inside the frame taped to an open end wrench.

If the nut and/or washer falls inside the frame it can be worked out of the frame with your fingers. The washer dropped off the bolt several times for yours truly.

I installed the hose on the outside fitting for the filter adapter plate before bolting the plate into place. Much easier to attach it that way. The hoses DO NOT want to cooperate as they are very stiff.

I did not have one, but a stubby 7/8" open end wrench would come in handy for tightening up the hose connections. You can still get in there with a standard length one to get the final torque on them but a stubby wrench will speed things up some.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I wound up removing the Pacbrake relocation kit from my truck. Two sets of hoses leaked slightly and there was a 4-5 PSI reduction in oil pressure.

A Fram XG2 fits my '14 4x4 in the factory location. So there's that. (which means the vaunted RP 20-820 will fit too.)

I'm going to try one of those silicone cup doodads on the next oil change and see how that goes.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wound up removing the Pacbrake relocation kit from my truck. Two sets of hoses leaked slightly and there was a 4-5 PSI reduction in oil pressure

The PSI reduction was probably due to your leak, and your leak was probably not in the hoses itself but possibly just not torquing them enough, or maybe you missed one of the o-rings somewhere?

Sucks that you had a bad experience, but I'm one happy customer that's for sure.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The PSI reduction was probably due to your leak, and your leak was probably not in the hoses itself but possibly just not torquing them enough, or maybe you missed one of the o-rings somewhere?

Sucks that you had a bad experience, but I'm one happy customer that's for sure.

image0.jpeg

First pic is a pic of the replacement hose. This one leaked on the engine side. The original install had one hose leak at the filter end. Appeared to be at the crimp on the hose in both cases.

Pacbrake sent me the 2nd set of hoses but when one of them leaked, I threw in the towel.

They have a 60 day 100% satisfaction guarantee. I'll see if they stand behind their word.

Attachments

• IMG_1800.jpg
    IMG_1800.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 19

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 526620

First pic is a pic of the replacement hose. This one leaked on the engine side. The original install had one hose leak at the filter end. Appeared to be at the crimp on the hose in both cases.

Pacbrake sent me the 2nd set of hoses but when one of them leaked, I threw in the towel.

They have a 60 day 100% satisfaction guarantee. I'll see if they stand behind their word.

ran one of these for a couple years... loved how easy it made oil changes (not sure what idiot came up with the stock filter location -- i suppose it's easy enough on 2WD -- probably the same person that puts the filters on way too tight from the factory) and being able to run a larger filter. also loved the quality of this kit compared to others i considered. lots of great reviews, so clearly it works for some -- and if it works for you, cool!

had a fitting leak when i first got mine. advice was "tighten more" which i tried a few times and eventually got replacement fitting. they do stand by their warrenty, which is great. don't really like "tighten more" advice for hydralic fittings though... and if you don't get alignment just righ the first time you are "hosed" (haha) because what little i know about hydralics says you really don't want to over-torque or re-torque those suckers or you will be restricting flow a little more each time.

ran everything for a while and was happy, crawled under to do an oil change and saw oil around the filter adapter. not enough to drip and let me notice on the driveway (or worse, i guess that was good!) but clearly loosing a bit of oil. i didn't have the hose alignment just right so vibration would losen the adapter a little over time. re-tightened and secured things with zip ties to keep it tight since i didn't want to losen/re-torque the hydralic fittings.

ran a while longer... started keeping a closer eye on it. leaked around the host fitting just like @NETim's pictures. i still think this is about as quality of a kit as you can get, but decided to ditch all the extra failure points for a critical part of the engine. multiple fittings, hoses, o-rings, etc.

tbh that's why i put off the purchase so long in the first place... the engineer in me is critical of adding parts to an already complex system. when i figured to try it anyway, the overall quality of the kit and good reviews convinced me to ignore my skepticism. like i said, i still think it's great overall and if it works you are lucky (no more ziplock baggies), but "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." i'm now back to stock. miss the larger oil filter but enjoy the peace of mind!

if you do run one of these (likely goes for any kit), i'd definitely check them more often than oil changes and especially before going on any road trips or extended off-road sessions. par for the course i guess...readiness check! i'm bummed, but also glad to see it wasn't just me.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
ran one of these for a couple years... loved how easy it made oil changes (not sure what idiot came up with the stock filter location -- i suppose it's easy enough on 2WD -- probably the same person that puts the filters on way too tight from the factory) and being able to run a larger filter. also loved the quality of this kit compared to others i considered. lots of great reviews, so clearly it works for some -- and if it works for you, cool!

had a fitting leak when i first got mine. advice was "tighten more" which i tried a few times and eventually got replacement fitting. they do stand by their warrenty, which is great. don't really like "tighten more" advice for hydralic fittings though... and if you don't get alignment just righ the first time you are "hosed" (haha) because what little i know about hydralics says you really don't want to over-torque or re-torque those suckers or you will be restricting flow a little more each time.

ran everything for a while and was happy, crawled under to do an oil change and saw oil around the filter adapter. not enough to drip and let me notice on the driveway (or worse, i guess that was good!) but clearly loosing a bit of oil. i didn't have the hose alignment just right so vibration would losen the adapter a little over time. re-tightened and secured things with zip ties to keep it tight since i didn't want to losen/re-torque the hydralic fittings.

ran a while longer... started keeping a closer eye on it. leaked around the host fitting just like @NETim's pictures. i still think this is about as quality of a kit as you can get, but decided to ditch all the extra failure points for a critical part of the engine. multiple fittings, hoses, o-rings, etc.

tbh that's why i put off the purchase so long in the first place... the engineer in me is critical of adding parts to an already complex system. when i figured to try it anyway, the overall quality of the kit and good reviews convinced me to ignore my skepticism. like i said, i still think it's great overall and if it works you are lucky (no more ziplock baggies), but "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." i'm now back to stock. miss the larger oil filter but enjoy the peace of mind!

if you do run one of these (likely goes for any kit), i'd definitely check them more often than oil changes and especially before going on any road trips or extended off-road sessions. par for the course i guess...readiness check! i'm bummed, but also glad to see it wasn't just me.
Any Farm Implement store can make you hoses that won't leak. You can get implement hoses rated to well over 2,000 psi,which should be sufficient to handle 70 psi oil pressure

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any Farm Implement store can make you hoses that won't leak. You can get implement hoses rated to well over 2,000 psi,which should be sufficient to handle 70 psi oil pressure

Thanks. Yeah, if I do this again I will probably go the transdapt route. Love your dual filter setup!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357