Advice on Ram 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amiri86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hello Everyone,

Am thinking of getting Ram 2500 regular cab, my biggest concern if the reliability of the engine and transmission, because we have only one dealer here in the country, and the after sales there is fantastic!!! (being sarcastic here) so my questions are:

1-How reliable is the 6.4 HEMI along with the transmission?

2-Is there any thing else that should be aware of?

Thank you in advance guys.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think it's just as reliable as any other US truck, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Obviously there is risk owning a "import" like that in a country with not much support. Looks like there is a Chrysler dealer across in Al Khobar. Would you be able to use them as well?

I've been to Bahrain several times over the years. It's been a while since I have been there though.

OP
OP
A

amiri86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Personally I would buy something else. Not because Ram is unreliable, but because you have a single source of service in which you have no confidence.

I thought about Ford, but Ram is different!

OP
OP
A

amiri86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I think it's just as reliable as any other US truck, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Obviously there is risk owning a "import" like that in a country with not much support. Looks like there is a Chrysler dealer across in Al Khobar. Would you be able to use them as well?

I've been to Bahrain several times over the years. It's been a while since I have been there though.

We used to have two dealers, the one I got my previous 1500 from closed down, I heard a lot of the current dealer, I became more suspicious when one day I had to take my sister's Chrysler to that dealer for a service, it wasn't a good experience, I even remember asking for a 3 BD discount which is the equivalent of 8 $ just to round down the amount I was going to pay, they refused and the reason is that the prices were fixed! that's the most stupid answer ever! its a dealership not a supermarket!

I think will pay the dealer in Khobar, Saudi Arabia a visit, and will see!!

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I have never tried negotiating on service? Anyone else? That might be a standard answer anywhere?

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I suspect your biggest potential issue is inadequate AC that seems to afflict some of these trucks, especially since you’re in the desert. Hopefully you can test drive before delivery and that should tell you if it’s an issue or not.

The 6.4 Hemi is a solid engine with no common issues. The 8HP transmission is also proven and reliable.

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I have 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4. Love the truck but I just had to have all 16 lifters replaced at 46,000 miles. It was under warranty. I have heard this kind of thing isn’t exclusive to Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I have 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4. Love the truck but I just had to have all 16 lifters replaced at 46,000 miles. It was under warranty. I have heard this kind of thing isn’t exclusive to Ram.

Did you use MDS or shut it down? If I'm running across town I use my tow/haul to lock it out and if I'm on a longer trip I will put it into 6th manually so MDS is locked out. I have heard that MDS can cause pre-mature wear?

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Did you use MDS or shut it down? If I'm running across town I use my tow/haul to lock it out and if I'm on a longer trip I will put it into 6th manually so MDS is locked out. I have heard that MDS can cause pre-mature wear?

The only time I used tow / haul is when I’m pulling a trailer. I’m thinking I may lock it out all the time now after this.

abbttb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hello Everyone,

Am thinking of getting Ram 2500 regular cab, my biggest concern if the reliability of the engine and transmission, because we have only one dealer here in the country, and the after sales there is fantastic!!! (being sarcastic here) so my questions are:

1-How reliable is the 6.4 HEMI along with the transmission?

2-Is there any thing else that should be aware of?

Thank you in advance guys.
I have a 2016 RAM 2500 crew cab 4x4 with the 6.4 and 6sp transmission. I have a little over 70,000 miles and the only time the truck has needed to go to the dealer has been for factory recalls. I do all of my own maintenance using full synthetic fluids and haven't had any issues. I pull a 7000 lbs travel trailer several times a month and have never needed to use the tow/haul mode. I manually put mine in 5th and hit the road. Its been a great truck and I wouldn't drive anything else.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk