Advice: Selling a Lifted Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I guess my next question would be this: What prep recommendations can you guys give for selling the truck privately? Should I spray the underbody with a fresh coat of black paint or do you think that would raise suspicion that I’m trying to hide something? That’s just one example. Thoughts?

Adam
Go have it detailed in side and out, I did that with mine a few years ago when before put it up for sale at a local place, IMO it was worth the $175 it cost me... Also no underbody paint it turns most buyer off wondering what you are trying to hide...

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks guys! Definitely going to detail it, just didn’t know if that paint would freshen things up a bit or turn buyers away. I felt it would turn buyers away and it looks like I “felt” right. :)

Adam

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
What's up, everyone?!

I hope ya'll are enjoying your week so far. Some of you may remember me and most probably won't, but I've come back recently to seek some advice. I'm going to be trading in/selling my 2012 RAM 1500 and get a new RAM 2500. The problem I'm running into around here is that none of the dealerships around here want to give me a number on my lifted 1500. I've talked to 4 dealerships so far: 2 haven't even tried to reach back out after calling them (one dealer actually saw the truck), 1 said they couldn't come close to what I was wanting and the third said they are "trying" to put a number together for it. I'm in sales myself, so the two that haven't even attempted to reach back out are done, they will not be getting my business at all.

But, I wanted to reach out to you guys/gals and see what experiences you may have had with selling a lifted truck. How did you do it? What worked best? How did you get a value to it to even see if you could afford what you were trying to buy? Any input would be super helpful.

Also, a side note: If anyone on here is interested in my RAM, feel free to reach out to me and we can discuss it. I'm located about an hour south of Pittsburgh, PA. Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the help!

~Adam
Your market will consist of teens and twenty somethings who do not have a lot of money. That is why no one wants to give you a number. It would be insultingly low because they think there is better than a 50/50 chance they will have to send it to the auctions where it will not even get averge trade in because it is lifted.

Anyone with a little something going on upstairs, who is looking for a used vehical will not touch a modified vehical with a 10 foot pole. Toys are treated like toys. They are looking for something well maintained, not something that was taken off road, raced on or off road and generally beaten like a step child. When i am looking for a used vehicle i want to see 100 percent stock inside and out. Including wheels and tires. Those are the vehicales people used like transportation, not a toy.

If you want to modify a vehical, go for it. But understand the only person who thinks you are adding value to it is you. The more you modify, the smaller the market gets when you try selling it. Touch anything on the engine and your average buyer considers it a roller. Problems just waiting not too far down the road.

So sell it yourself on Craigslist or Facebook. You may find that one kid with cash. Or strip the lift kit off, sell it on E-bay if you can, and put a stock suspension, wheels and tires back on it and the used car buyers will start getting serious about making an offer. Absolutely remove CAI and whatever shiny stuff you put under the hood. That is a major turnoff. Why people think a shiny tube with a big filter pulling air from the engine compartment instead of the factory set up that pulls it from the wheel well is going to make your car run better is........what a kid would think. The kind that does not have money. The kind that does not buy from reputable car dealers. Which is why they do not want your truck.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I actually just recently looked at an older vehicle where they had done just that, and it turned me away immediately.
I suggest just get it squeaky clean inside and out and the truck will speak for itself.
Agree, amy recent paint is going to always be a deal breaker for me. I saw too much crap in the past to ever trust someone who tries that. Just clean it well, let the truck speak for itself.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These young kids eat that crap up... put a lift on it, big tires, they'll be skidding around in their own drool! And most young people don't really think long term if it'll last forever. I wouldn't worry about it. It is what it is, and that's how you'll have to present it. If the work is as you say, and done well, someone will come along who's dad is co-signing or just buy it outright.

If it's red it'll probably buff out to look real nice. My other piece of advice is to price it like you want to sell it. Build in a couple grand of bargaining money. Let the buyer think he knocked your price down a little and he'll be tickled he "won" and got a decent deal. Then you won't hear from him again when there's the first hiccup. If someone thinks they got hosed or paid too much, they notice every single imperfection, rattle, vibration, etc. If you turn off the first 'rush' of buyers at first with a too-high price, they'll go buy something else and you'll be left with a trickle of buyers which could take a while to sell. You see that all the time online...you know who the "dreamers" are, and guess what? You don't call them. They're so high on their price, it's not even worth your time. Get real on the price so you can move it down the road & get your new truck! Not take 6 months b/c you were holding out for a few grand more (which in the end you never got).

I guess it sounds like you know what you're doing.. I'm just rattling off ideas... ha ha

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$7,500 max?? Hahahahaha!! That's just funny....

Adam
It might just be funny but that's more than likely the way a dealer would look at and couldnt care 1 bit of what youve put into it(lift,stereo,million dollar floor mats,gold plated ac knobs,etc,etc..they dont care,at least around here they dont from experience)..and I'll bet for sure that goes straight to auction from them.
Good luck with it though..keep us posted!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's old, it's modified, and you are not going to get any money back on the "mods" so thinking they add value is going to disappoint you. Your looking at KBB value and nothing more. Your target audience is going to be kids so try the book of faces or where ever they hang out these days.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Luckily in my area, which is rural PA just north of WV, there is a fair amount of people around here who would love to have a lifted truck. So I’m banking on online listing for sure. I know I’ll have to weed out a lot of low ballers and stuff, but I should have plenty of time to do that.

Again, I cannot go back to stock as the Zone lift required removing one of the stock cross members. Whether it is stock or modified, I’m going to have to sell it privately because the trade numbers won’t get me where I need to be.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Adam

jpin9b

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Cummins
I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I hope you kept all the original parts or find some kid with a rich daddy who's wanting a truck.

Otherwise, just plan on keeping it. It usually doesn't hurt to have an extra truck.

Edit: sorry, I missed your last post before I responded - and guitarin' 4JC - Matthew 10:22

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Late to this thread, and I did not read all through it, but I would strongly suggest advertising it in some 4WD / Off Road enthusiast sites or FB groups. Perfect target audience for it. Good luck.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I hope you kept all the original parts or find some kid with a rich daddy who's wanting a truck.

Otherwise, just plan on keeping it. It usually doesn't hurt to have an extra truck.

Edit: sorry, I missed your last post before I responded - and guitarin' 4JC - Matthew 10:22
Awesome name! As far as keeping the truck, not going to happen. I can’t make the financials work without trading in my current truck. I’m going to list it at the beginning of 2024, maybe a little sooner. I know I have a certain target audience, but praying for the best.

Adam

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your trucks nice, It will sell no problem on crackbook.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right now is a better time to sell than after the new yr. People burned out from the xmas rush ...there's that post holiday funk. My brother ran a car lot for yrs... and we used to sell before that. The first 3 months are real lean for every car seller out there. Hardly any foot traffic at all. Just go into any dealer in Jan/Feb/Mar. It's like a ghost town in there. Not saying *nobody* buys trucks then, but it's not like the run up to xmas. You might end up taking less just to attract buyers. Things don't really pick up till like end of march. People want off-roaders for snow too.

Now would be a real good time to do it. Before it gets too cold. And before whatever happens in the mid east ...happens, the strikes or gov't shutdown. Instability kills sales. If just 10 or 15% of people decide to "wait and see", that's going to mean fewer buyers and lower prices. I'd list it by this weekend and get it gone. But maybe it doesn't work out for you financially right now. But if you have a choice, after the holidays isn't ideal. Foot-dragging could cost ya.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Right now is a better time to sell than after the new yr. People burned out from the xmas rush ...there's that post holiday funk. My brother ran a car lot for yrs... and we used to sell before that. The first 3 months are real lean for every car seller out there. Hardly any foot traffic at all. Just go into any dealer in Jan/Feb/Mar. It's like a ghost town in there. Not saying *nobody* buys trucks then, but it's not like the run up to xmas. You might end up taking less just to attract buyers. Things don't really pick up till like end of march. People want off-roaders for snow too.

Now would be a real good time to do it. Before it gets too cold. And before whatever happens in the mid east ...happens, the strikes or gov't shutdown. Instability kills sales. If just 10 or 15% of people decide to "wait and see", that's going to mean fewer buyers and lower prices. I'd list it by this weekend and get it gone. But maybe it doesn't work out for you financially right now. But if you have a choice, after the holidays isn't ideal. Foot-dragging could cost ya.
I’ve been back and forth on this. My wife has a Wrangler so it’s not like we wouldn’t have 4-wheel-drive capability through the winter. Very good point of view. Thanks for sharing!

Adam

Zguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another reason a dealer won't retail a vehicle like that is it might not pass your state's MV safety inspection. It is unlikely that a 6" lift is a passable suspension and, therefore, would be a wholesale vehicle only.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine

Good advice. I buy and sell at least one a year, sometimes more. Holiday run up to Christmas is a seller’s market, people are conditioned to spend.

January on is a buyer’s market; most people shot their *** over the holidays and are feeling the pain in their wallet.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Another question for the group: Should I leave the light bars on or remove them?

I just got done washing it. Doing the interior and fine detailing tomorrow to get it listed up.

Adam

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you leaving it lifted and most (or any) other off-road equipment on the truck?

I think the answer is ...it depends. If they're particularly expensive and you plan to put them on your new Toyota Tundra :rotflmao: ...and they're not too tricky to remove, then..sure, remove them. If you don't plan to re-use them, or think you'll prefer different/better ones in the future, then maybe just leave them.

If they make it look 'more off-road' and cooler, and you think it'll help sell it, sure ...leave them. Overall, you never know what the next owner might think. Might like them or maybe not.

You could also use them as a bargaining chip and give the potential buyer a discount if that'll help sweeten the deal and sell it (and remove them ..sell them separately). Come up with a value you can toss out if asked, but don't devulge you can remove them until they throw out a number and you start wheeling & dealing. Then hit the customer with how you can meet their price. You know what you're doing ....I guess play it by ear, right?

I'm just thinking out loud. Really hard to know what a buyer will think/like. I don't think there's a hard right or wrong. Best of luck selling it. I think you're timing is going to be good. Let us know how you did once you find a new owner.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are you leaving it lifted and most (or any) other off-road equipment on the truck?

I think the answer is ...it depends. If they're particularly expensive and you plan to put them on your new Toyota Tundra :rotflmao: ...and they're not too tricky to remove, then..sure, remove them. If you don't plan to re-use them, or think you'll prefer different/better ones in the future, then maybe just leave them.

If they make it look 'more off-road' and cooler, and you think it'll help sell it, sure ...leave them. Overall, you never know what the next owner might think. Might like them or maybe not.

You could also use them as a bargaining chip and give the potential buyer a discount if that'll help sweeten the deal and sell it (and remove them ..sell them separately). Come up with a value you can toss out if asked, but don't devulge you can remove them until they throw out a number and you start wheeling & dealing. Then hit the customer with how you can meet their price. You know what you're doing ....I guess play it by ear, right?

I'm just thinking out loud. Really hard to know what a buyer will think/like. I don't think there's a hard right or wrong. Best of luck selling it. I think you're timing is going to be good. Let us know how you did once you find a new owner.
Thanks Jeepwalker! I appreciate all your advice through this whole process. Yes, I have to leave it lifted. I’m thinking of just leaving them on. Nothing super expensive.

I hope I can sell it relatively quickly and order my new one before 11/30. The dealer I’m talking to is giving me some really good incentives to order a new ‘24. We will soon see.

Adam

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well ....what's the status of your truck sale/deal?

Just curious

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat