Advice: Selling a Lifted Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What's up, everyone?!

I hope ya'll are enjoying your week so far. Some of you may remember me and most probably won't, but I've come back recently to seek some advice. I'm going to be trading in/selling my 2012 RAM 1500 and get a new RAM 2500. The problem I'm running into around here is that none of the dealerships around here want to give me a number on my lifted 1500. I've talked to 4 dealerships so far: 2 haven't even tried to reach back out after calling them (one dealer actually saw the truck), 1 said they couldn't come close to what I was wanting and the third said they are "trying" to put a number together for it. I'm in sales myself, so the two that haven't even attempted to reach back out are done, they will not be getting my business at all.

But, I wanted to reach out to you guys/gals and see what experiences you may have had with selling a lifted truck. How did you do it? What worked best? How did you get a value to it to even see if you could afford what you were trying to buy? Any input would be super helpful.

Also, a side note: If anyone on here is interested in my RAM, feel free to reach out to me and we can discuss it. I'm located about an hour south of Pittsburgh, PA. Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the help!

~Adam

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Facebook.

They probably don't want to deal with the 'risk' that comes along with modified vehicle done by (in their eyes ...who know's who??). Those dealers which are considering giving you a number are more than likely going to turn around and wholesale it out to a preferred (other) used car dealer and that's what they're doing now is shopping their network of buyers.

At least the dealers who said they couldn't get to your number were honest with you. Why get upset at honesty?? You kind of knew this was going to happen when you lifted it didn't you? The good news is, you might do really well or better, selling it outright on Marketplace or Craigslist b/c there are guys out there who may prefer something turn-key. Problem is a lot of buyers are cash-poor and you're relying on them to go get money at a bank...which is extra work on their part (vs dealer financing).

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Agree with the facebook part. I'm not spending $70k on a new vehicle so used it is. I personally would be looking at FB and maybe craigslist. I just assume a dealership is trying to screw me so I would never go to one for a used vehicle anyway. My current truck is a FB find.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Being that age, and modified, a new car dealer is sending it straight to auction.

Private sale is the way to go.

If the truck is really clean, sound mechanically and the lift is a major name, I’d start out pricing it slightly above book value for comparable stock trucks. Looking for that rare buyer who will appreciate it and value a lifted truck turnkey ready to go.

If not, you’ll be negotiating down to comparable stock price or below, dealing with a buyer who is concerned about the quality of the mods, or outright doesn’t want them.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Facebook.

They probably don't want to deal with the 'risk' that comes along with modified vehicle done by (in their eyes ...who know's who??). Those dealers which are considering giving you a number are more than likely going to turn around and wholesale it out to a preferred (other) used car dealer and that's what they're doing now is shopping their network of buyers.

At least the dealers who said they couldn't get to your number were honest with you. Why get upset at honesty?? You kind of knew this was going to happen when you lifted it didn't you? The good news is, you might do really well or better, selling it outright on Marketplace or Craigslist b/c there are guys out there who may prefer something turn-key. Problem is a lot of buyers are cash-poor and you're relying on them to go get money at a bank...which is extra work on their part (vs dealer financing).
Honestly, no, I didn't know this was coming. When I first started looking into trading (2021), one local dealership gave me a number right away. Granted, things were a little different because of Covid and whatnot. As far as being upset, I am upset that out of 4 dealerships, only one actually got back to me saying they couldn't get close to what I was offered in 2021. If they don't want the trade, then just come out and tell me so I can make plans on what I need to do. Don't not call/text me at all and not communicate.

I didn't want to deal with selling it myself but it's kinda seeming to be the better option for me. I appreciate your feedback!

~Adam

Calbyker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
If you have the ability and/or time, put it back to stock. Sell the aftermarket parts online. While there is a market for modified vehicles, it is limited depending on your location. As a trade-in you will get less then a private sale. With the current strikes happening Dealers "should" want trade-ins to put stock on the lot. BUT, they don't want to get stuck with unsaleables when the strike ends.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agree with above comments that any dealer who does work a trade is going to wholesale the truck. The lift is secondary to the 12 model years of age. I don't think taking the time to delete the lift is going to change things enough to make a difference.

I also think private sales are so much riskier today and would gladly take the money from a wholesaler such as CarMax. You can find online companies that will allow you to enter data and then get a tentative offer. If nothing else it will give you an idea of what to shoot for on a trade in.

Last, the value we place on a vehicle is often clouded by our lack of objectivity. It might be worth a dollar amount in your experience of buying, building, and maintaining it. But as you are finding it is only "worth" what someone will pay for it. My suggestion is get a third party value to sell it outright to at least have something to work from. Then go without the truck to dealers and find your new vehicle. After working your deal, then ask for a value of your trade in. You can negotiate both values but often hard to do at the same time. Good luck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The issue with selling it privately,is the market that might be interested in it,is the younger male market,who'll be looking to finance it,and that'll be where the problem is,most banks won't want to finance a 12 year old modified truck.
You should of flogged it 2 years ago in the midst of covid,that's when every dealer in the country would of been in competition to buy it off you.
Good luck with your sale.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you have the ability and/or time, put it back to stock. Sell the aftermarket parts online. While there is a market for modified vehicles, it is limited depending on your location. As a trade-in you will get less then a private sale. With the current strikes happening Dealers "should" want trade-ins to put stock on the lot. BUT, they don't want to get stuck with unsaleables when the strike ends.

Unfortunately, I do not have this ability. The Zone 6" Suspension lift required cutting of one of the brackets and replacing it with one from the kit.

Agree with above comments that any dealer who does work a trade is going to wholesale the truck. The lift is secondary to the 12 model years of age. I don't think taking the time to delete the lift is going to change things enough to make a difference.

I also think private sales are so much riskier today and would gladly take the money from a wholesaler such as CarMax. You can find online companies that will allow you to enter data and then get a tentative offer. If nothing else it will give you an idea of what to shoot for on a trade in.

Last, the value we place on a vehicle is often clouded by our lack of objectivity. It might be worth a dollar amount in your experience of buying, building, and maintaining it. But as you are finding it is only "worth" what someone will pay for it. My suggestion is get a third party value to sell it outright to at least have something to work from. Then go without the truck to dealers and find your new vehicle. After working your deal, then ask for a value of your trade in. You can negotiate both values but often hard to do at the same time. Good luck.

That's what I've been thinking as well. I'm going to find one of these online third party wholesalers and get a more "realistic" value on what I should expect to get.

The issue with selling it privately,is the market that might be interested in it,is the younger male market,who'll be looking to finance it,and that'll be where the problem is,most banks won't want to finance a 12 year old modified truck.
You should of flogged it 2 years ago in the midst of covid,that's when every dealer in the country would of been in competition to buy it off you.
Good luck with your sale.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Should've, would've, could've but didn't have the ability to do so at the time.

Adam

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
We just sold our 2014 Longhorn 1500 on Craigslist. It had 53,000 miles on it. Listed it on Thursday and sold it on Friday for what we asked. It was a beautiful truck, with many mods; Core 4x4 rear control arms, Kooks shorty headers, Viair OBA, Canopy, Bedrug, ... So, I agree with the rest, private sale is the way to go. We considered trading it in, but thought we would do better selling it ourselves, glad we did. A bit more work, but worth it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The biggest downside to selling a vehicle privately,is the fact the new owner can make your life hell,if something major goes wrong with the vehicle shortly after you've sold it to them.
Even if you write on the bill of sale "sold as is/where is" it can still haunt you down the road.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, I personally view 2012s as a selling BONUS! And you might "talk it up" as such when you go to sell it.

The 2012 1500 is the last year before all the 2013 changes, which included a lot more electronic stuff (headaches!). The front is more 'classic' Ram looking. Old-school hydraulic power steering. No worrying about the $2,500 a pop, Electric Power Steering rack going out. If it has the RFE transmission, they're very serviceable (real dipstick, easy-to-service). 2012's were real solid. Plus whatever inprovements and/or upgrades you've added.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As far as being upset, I am upset that out of 4 dealerships, only one actually got back to me saying they couldn't get close to what I was offered in 2021
I don't know what is with the world these days but people getting back to potential customers has just gone the way of the dinosaur. Since Covid, every business doesn't care.... at all. They just apologize upfront (usually with a sandwich board at the door or a cute message on the phone admitting that you're about to have a terrible experience). I've had a run of "needs" lately and am completely shocked.... contractors, parts for various things, insurance agents, medical providers, vendors of all types all just refuse to return calls or emails. I keep thinking my phone is broken but I guess it's just the way things are. I sure wish I could afford to run my business this way.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I couldn't agree more with this statement. Should've, would've, could've but didn't have the ability to do so at the time.
Bummer. I took good advantage of the crazy, once in a lifetime Covid market and did very well. But the bottom has fallen out of that now. So expecting dealers to give you a price you were quoted in '21 is just unrealistic at this point. Private sale, as suggested, is probably the best thing to try next and hope just the right guy happens along.

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with giving private sale a shot - if it fails then CarMax or whatever. In addition to facebook and craigslist, you might try Autotrader.com. You'll get more nation-wide views there.

I sold my last truck by putting a For Sale sign in the window and parking it in front of my house. We live on a semi-busy street and it sold in 10 days. Nothing catches my eye quicker than a For Sale sign in a vehicle :) Is there a place you could park it that has a lot of traffic? It's a great looking truck and you just might get lucky!

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I'm going to find one of these online third party wholesalers and get a more "realistic" value on what I should expect to get.
I trade my trucks every two-three years, and all of them are lifted. Your lift isn't the issue...Your expectation of what it's worth, is. The truck is roughly worth whatever the current low-trade book value happens to be, or less. The lift has nothing to do with it. But keep in mind, the current market for used trucks has degraded so fast that the valuation books did not keep up with it. The dealers aren't getting back to you because they don't want it or don't want to pay you what you are expecting. It's that simple. Cars sell so damn fast now that they don't have to use their time to "work" a customer for a deal, and the no-call-back is a symptom of that.

PS: Your trade-in value for that year, make, model is roughly about $7.500 max. What is your perceived value of it?

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will second the autotrader recommendation. Have found several used vehicles through them over the years.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Unfortunately, I do not have this ability. The Zone 6" Suspension lift required cutting of one of the brackets and replacing it with one from the kit.

You or whom ever cut factory brackets & replaced with aftermarket parts for the lift install could be why dealers didn't want to make an offer for your truck, to them it was a big liability if the purchased, then sold it to someone else...

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I trade my trucks every two-three years, and all of them are lifted. Your lift isn't the issue...Your expectation of what it's worth, is. The truck is roughly worth whatever the current low-trade book value happens to be, or less. The lift has nothing to do with it. But keep in mind, the current market for used trucks has degraded so fast that the valuation books did not keep up with it. The dealers aren't getting back to you because they don't want it or don't want to pay you what you are expecting. It's that simple. Cars sell so damn fast now that they don't have to use their time to "work" a customer for a deal, and the no-call-back is a symptom of that.

PS: Your trade-in value for that year, make, model is roughly about $7.500 max. What is your perceived value of it?
$7,500 max?? Hahahahaha!! That's just funny....

Adam

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357