AEM Dryflow vs OEM Filter Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Plus WhoTF is drag racing a stock pickup? .3 seconds on the 1/4, cool. What launch RPM? What tires? Is that how you actually drive it? Because if not you aren't getting that .3. 0-60 isn't a great metric for usable power outside of racing, nor is a launched 1/4 on a prepped track. You can't use all the power you've got right now to launch on street tires on a regular road for an 0-60 dash, you'll be at partial throttle at first or you'll just engage the nannies and/or break loose and spin.

If you want to show me gains that matter on a street vehicle, show me rolling starts. Anytime you hit an on ramp hard or pass on a short passing zone two lane you're basically doing a rolling start. And you aren't going to get gains that matter with a single bolt.
to me it’s not about the strip on performance mods it’s about having a useful vehicle (you can haul stuff in it etc) that is fun to drive and high off the ground. now if you yourself don’t care that’s cool just others on here probably want what i explained above. we all share our findings and that’s what this post is about so if you don’t have anything to share why dont you go post somewhere else.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Plus WhoTF is drag racing a stock pickup? .3 seconds on the 1/4, cool. What launch RPM? What tires? Is that how you actually drive it? Because if not you aren't getting that .3. 0-60 isn't a great metric for usable power outside of racing, nor is a launched 1/4 on a prepped track. You can't use all the power you've got right now to launch on street tires on a regular road for an 0-60 dash, you'll be at partial throttle at first or you'll just engage the nannies and/or break loose and spin.

If you want to show me gains that matter on a street vehicle, show me rolling starts. Anytime you hit an on ramp hard or pass on a short passing zone two lane you're basically doing a rolling start. And you aren't going to get gains that matter with a single bolt.
I drag race a stock pickup. I drag race most every vehicle I've ever owned. It is a blast to me, I don't have to worry about blue lights behind me, it also keeps me from doing it on the street as much. I have nothing to prove, I just enjoy it. The best thing about traction control to me is at the drag strip, I nail it at launch and have no problem with loosing traction on street tires (traction control works). I can make it run within .3 tenths of a second continuously in a 1/4 mile and there are a lot of people that can do better than that. At the drag strip is the only place that tenths of a second count but I will take a lower time run anytime I can get it. A win is a win to me! Once again, I installed my CAI for the looks. I didn't get to do a before and after test but I don't care, there's no way it hurt it!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you believe a CAI adds enough HP to equate to .5 seconds in a stock pickup in the 1/4, buy two and drop a full second. Add a few stickers and you're into the 8's.
too funny, especially some of the things PPL get upset about these days. I worry more about longevity and dependability of my RAM. But we all have priorities.

My Biggest Priority: Worrying about the state of this Country I Luv and what shape are we leaving it in ref our kiddos and grandy kiddos.

ADDED: For the sake of the thread: I have an AEM dryflow installed in truck. Have not pulled yet to clean and re-install, may do once fall gets going well.

Last edited:

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Can you see "some" gains? Sure, maybe. Can you see gains that actually matter? Probably not. Add supporting mods, get real gains.
Modern engines are not starved for air. Enough said IMO.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
to me it’s not about the strip on performance mods it’s about having a useful vehicle (you can haul stuff in it etc) that is fun to drive and high off the ground
Like I said before, I totally get the whole customization of vehicles but, most people keep the engine stock. Adding a CAI to a stock 395hp 410tq engine will not make it anymore "useful" than it is. It may give the illusion of added power because it is louder when you floor the gas pedal making you think you now have a race car. If, and that's a very big IF, it adds any power it will be insignificant until you start adding a cam, head work and intake and exhaust with a good dyno tune which most people do not do. I have a Harley Davidson that I "customized" but it was for looks, until I dove into the engine so again, i totally get the customization thing

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like I said before, I totally get the whole customization of vehicles but, most people keep the engine stock. Adding a CAI to a stock 395hp 410tq engine will not make it anymore "useful" than it is. It may give the illusion of added power because it is louder when you floor the gas pedal making you think you now have a race car. If, and that's a very big IF, it adds any power it will be insignificant until you start adding a cam, head work and intake and exhaust with a good dyno tune which most people do not do. I have a Harley Davidson that I "customized" but it was for looks, until I dove into the engine so again, i totally get the customization thing
I have a 2006 Honda Goldwing with a 2015 Motor Trike Kit. All I added was an added 12V power source in LF fairing pocket and also installed a Bluetooth Receiver in the Aux for the radio speaker/system so I can send my Pandora, Sirius, wateva I am streaming and send to MC Speakers. The rest is stock, except for a Bridgestone Tire on front instead of Dunlap.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
to me it’s not about the strip on performance mods it’s about having a useful vehicle (you can haul stuff in it etc) that is fun to drive and high off the ground. now if you yourself don’t care that’s cool just others on here probably want what i explained above. we all share our findings and that’s what this post is about so if you don’t have anything to share why dont you go post somewhere else.

Given that we largely appear to agree, I'm not sure why you're butthurt, but ok. Feel free to put me on ignore, I'll post what I want unless the mods say otherwise.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

This guy gets it.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I drag race a stock pickup. I drag race most every vehicle I've ever owned. It is a blast to me, I don't have to worry about blue lights behind me, it also keeps me from doing it on the street as much. I have nothing to prove, I just enjoy it. The best thing about traction control to me is at the drag strip, I nail it at launch and have no problem with loosing traction on street tires (traction control works). I can make it run within .3 tenths of a second continuously in a 1/4 mile and there are a lot of people that can do better than that.

Good on you for having fun, but you aren't making it run within 3/10ths. The computers are.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well I'm glad you know me. You're right about the computer's are now making it much easier to run within 3/10's, I've been going to the dragstrip most of my life and I was doing it long before computer's, it was just harder to do and I felt like my ability and practice made me better at it instead of a computer doing it for me. Guess I didn't realize my '68 thru '70 muscle cars had computers. I learn something new everyday.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Well I'm glad you know me. You're right about the computer's are now making it much easier to run within 3/10's, I've been going to the dragstrip most of my life and I was doing it long before computer's, it was just harder to do and I felt like my ability and practice made me better at it instead of a computer doing it for me. Guess I didn't realize my '68 thru '70 muscle cars had computers. I learn something new everyday.

Yeah, driving a car is harder then letting a computer drive it for you. Like I said, good on you for having fun with your stuff. Just making a pass with traction control on and then bragging about consistency is sort of cousin kissing to me.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yeah, driving a car is harder then letting a computer drive it for you. Like I said, good on you for having fun with your stuff. Just making a pass with traction control on and then bragging about consistency is sort of cousin kissing to me.
There was no bragging about it, was just stating the facts. I get beat by men and women all the time who is more consistent than me and they don't have a computerized vehicle. You can have the cousin kissing!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Oh, I remember who you are now.

I drag race a stock pickup.

True for me, my throttle controller makes my truck "feel" quicker because I have no doubt the throttle opens quicker than it did. Wouldn't go back to how it felt before even if it was "proven" it's in my head!

Maybe stock means something different in the 70s.

Then you've been drag racing in your old muscle cars before computers but you also need to learn to do a hole shot?

I don't have the numbers yet since I've put mine on, I haven't been to the dragstrip yet. My biggest fear is losing traction more than before. I am one that don't want to spin the tires, waste of time at the track so it is possible I may run a slower time because of that. With that said I will have to possibly learn how to get it out of the hole at the strip

The best thing about traction control to me is at the drag strip, I nail it at launch and have no problem with loosing traction on street tires (traction control works). I can make it run within .3 tenths of a second continuously in a 1/4 mile and there are a lot of people that can do better than that. At the drag strip is the only place that tenths of a second count but I will take a lower time run anytime I can get it. A win is a win to me! Once again, I installed my CAI for the looks. I didn't get to do a before and after test but I don't care, there's no way it hurt it!

Ok, Boomer.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Given that we largely appear to agree, I'm not sure why you're butthurt, but ok. Feel free to put me on ignore, I'll post what I want unless the mods say otherwise.
lol im not butthurt at all i was just trying to save you from being one of those annoying people on the forum, so have at it. nah no reason to ignore you, one day you might post something worth reading

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
There was no bragging about it, was just stating the facts. I get beat by men and women all the time who is more consistent than me and they don't have a computerized vehicle. You can have the cousin kissing!
yea i’m not talking cai u notice i just did a dry flow (so i can clean it instead of buying new) last truck i did full bolt ons and once i got the tune dialed in that was where i saw the difference

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Oh, I remember who you are now.

Maybe stock means something different in the 70s.

Then you've been drag racing in your old muscle cars before computers but you also need to learn to do a hole shot?

Ok, Boomer.
I have a stalker! You're right, maybe that'll make you happy. I see you was/are in the military, I'll respect that, thank you for your service! Have a nice day!

Last edited: