AEM Dryflow vs OEM Filter Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Just thought I would share some of fuel economy data for anyone considering a drop-in filter and wondering the impact it will have on their fuel economy as when I purchased mine I saw many claims of improved performance/mpg. The truck was purchased in September 2018 and I installed the AEM Dryflow filter in January 2019. Over the two years the AEM filter was installed it was vacuumed out twice and washed once.

I have a fully loaded 2017 1500 Sport Crew Cab. The truck has a tri-fold tonneau cover and sits on 20x9 moto metal wheels with LT305/55r20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2W tires which I keep inflated to 42 psi. The only change to truck over the period of fill ups was an oil change.

The blue line below is when I changed from the AEM Dryflow drop-in filter to the OEM filter and I had left out the fuel economy for that tank from the average calculations. When comparing the overall averages it seems that the OEM filter provides better fuel economy. I have also calculated the average for comparable periods (for those that say winter/summer blends has an effect on results) and the AEM filter shows slightly less fuel usage but that can just margin of error. Also based on the comparable periods I took out the best tank from each set of data as they seem to be outliers and the OEM filter again shows better fuel economy.

Fuel economy.PNG

I know that there are many factors that can effect fuel consumption but hope that providing hand calculated data over a few thousand kms and averaging out the results can help level out some of those variations.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very cool! I have the same filter, didn't really noticed much in regards to fuel economy. By far the best benefit is that it's reusable. It also appears to do a good job filtering. I've done multiple oil analysis while using that filter and the oil doesn't show excessive signs of contamination.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
yep i have the dryflow with the ultra restrictive carbon filter removed plus a 9 drive- the truck can hang with a 5.0 till about 40/45

OP
OP

17sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
It also appears to do a good job filtering
I probably won't switch back to it as I noticed some very fine dust on the seal on the inside of the filter. Although I never noticed anything stuck to the seal last year so not sure what it was that got through it.

The majority of gains for an air intake on an otherwise unmodified vehicle is due to reduced weight. Primarily in the driver's wallet.
Yeah when it comes to these drop-in filters the responses seem to be either this or that it made a noticeable difference in performance and/or mpg. It was on sale and I had a gift card so thought I would just get it as it was at least reusable. I will stick with the paper filters going forward due to the reasons noted above but thought I would at least share some actual data if it helps anyone considering purchasing a drop-in filter.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
i think getting rid of the carbon filer helps more than the new filter. i bought my aem dryflow on amazon for 25.00

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I had the dry flow and it’s not a MPG mod, more of a slightly better flow and reusability mod. The filters have been tested and show great filtration with an increase in flow which can’t be said for oil type filters. Plus the oil doesn’t get sucked into the intake and affect things like MAF sensors or other critical sensors with an oil film.

With that being said I have been running a used vararam and it seals like crap in comparison to the OEM type stuff. I have had my oil tested every change since I got it off the dealer floor new and have zero issues with contamination in my oil. Gotta remember how long the air is inside the engine before it’s out and a lot like the exhaust flow the actual contact with the ID or surface of the intake/exhaust pipe is minimal due to laminar flow and a “cushion” of air on the outside column as it flows through the pipe. This is why intake sensors have the sensor towards the middle of the pipe and not at the edge.

You present interesting data but there is not enough consistentency in something like this (controlled environment and testing parameters) to make the data a true comparison. Even something as small as oil brand and weight can affect drag on the engine internals causing a shift in efficiency.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The majority of gains for an air intake on an otherwise unmodified vehicle is due to reduced weight. Primarily in the driver's wallet.
There's plenty of time slips to prove gains, especially with the s&b and vararam intakes.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just thought I would share some of fuel economy data for anyone considering a drop-in filter and wondering the impact it will have on their fuel economy as when I purchased mine I saw many claims of improved performance/mpg. The truck was purchased in September 2018 and I installed the AEM Dryflow filter in January 2019. Over the two years the AEM filter was installed it was vacuumed out twice and washed once.

I have a fully loaded 2017 1500 Sport Crew Cab. The truck has a tri-fold tonneau cover and sits on 20x9 moto metal wheels with LT305/55r20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2W tires which I keep inflated to 42 psi. The only change to truck over the period of fill ups was an oil change.

The blue line below is when I changed from the AEM Dryflow drop-in filter to the OEM filter and I had left out the fuel economy for that tank from the average calculations. When comparing the overall averages it seems that the OEM filter provides better fuel economy. I have also calculated the average for comparable periods (for those that say winter/summer blends has an effect on results) and the AEM filter shows slightly less fuel usage but that can just margin of error. Also based on the comparable periods I took out the best tank from each set of data as they seem to be outliers and the OEM filter again shows better fuel economy.

View attachment 472780

I know that there are many factors that can effect fuel consumption but hope that providing hand calculated data over a few thousand kms and averaging out the results can help level out some of those variations.
This is good information, plus I also see no reason to replace the oem filter. Plus the oem filter will outflow the throttle body cfm wise.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
There's plenty of time slips to prove gains, especially with the s&b and vararam intakes.

Can you see "some" gains? Sure, maybe. Can you see gains that actually matter? Probably not. Add supporting mods, get real gains.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you see "some" gains? Sure, maybe. Can you see gains that actually matter? Probably not. Add supporting mods, get real gains.
1/2 second in the 1/4 mile is pretty significant.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you believe a CAI adds enough HP to equate to .5 seconds in a stock pickup in the 1/4, buy two and drop a full second. Add a few stickers and you're into the 8's.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately more airflow / less intake restriction will have zero effect on fuel economy in a modern gas engine. Air and fuel are controlled by the PCM, with air measured by the MAF sensor. At any given load condition less than 100%, if you reduce an intake restriction / increase air flow then the PCM will simply reduce the throttle plate opening and increase THAT restriction because it’s managing the air MASS.

Yes, there’s an opportunity to increase maximum airflow and power at WOT but you’ll never increase fuel economy doing that.

Considering all the expensive things like active air dams, MDS etc. that are done in the pursuit of fuel economy then the factory would give you a filter or CAI if it did anything at all to help.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Where does it say a stock truck dropped 1/2 second? It doesn't. Needed some stickers.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I bought my vararam for the looks mainly, any other improvement is welcome but wasn't my goal.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless engine is tuned for the added parts, cam, throttle body, intake and exhaust a cold air intake is for the most part just decorative. Getting a 1/2 second off a quarter mile time has a lot of variables. You very rarely see someone run identical times on multiple runs with the same vehicle. Weather temp and humidity levels, and just the driver of the vehicle will give you variations in times. I get the "customizing" thing but with todays modern engines and computers, they will do very little if anything to a stock engine. I'd love to see dyno comparison's with the same truck with a bone stock engine as most everyone that puts one on does nothing else to it to optimize the performance

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Unless engine is tuned for the added parts, cam, throttle body, intake and exhaust a cold air intake is for the most part just decorative. Getting a 1/2 second off a quarter mile time has a lot of variables. You very rarely see someone run identical times on multiple runs with the same vehicle. Weather temp and humidity levels, and just the driver of the vehicle will give you variations in times. I get the "customizing" thing but with todays modern engines and computers, they will do very little if anything to a stock engine. I'd love to see dyno comparison's with the same truck with a bone stock engine as most everyone that puts one on does nothing else to it to optimize the performance

Plus WhoTF is drag racing a stock pickup? .3 seconds on the 1/4, cool. What launch RPM? What tires? Is that how you actually drive it? Because if not you aren't getting that .3. 0-60 isn't a great metric for usable power outside of racing, nor is a launched 1/4 on a prepped track. You can't use all the power you've got right now to launch on street tires on a regular road for an 0-60 dash, you'll be at partial throttle at first or you'll just engage the nannies and/or break loose and spin.

If you want to show me gains that matter on a street vehicle, show me rolling starts. Anytime you hit an on ramp hard or pass on a short passing zone two lane you're basically doing a rolling start. And you aren't going to get gains that matter with a single bolt.