AEV 4 inch lift with Fox 2.5 coilovers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamBat23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
What's up y'all, I might be able to put my hands on a brand new AEV 4 inch lift kit, but I don't like the idea of running a spacer.
I was thinking about adding the Fox 2.5 coilovers they sold for the BDS/Zone 6 inch lift and set them at 4".
First question, would it be a good idea ?
Second, would it gave me more wheel travel ?

P.S. Does anyone know the compressed and extended length of those coilovers ? Been looking everywhere and no one stems to have post it.
Thank you

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
What's up y'all, I might be able to put my hands on a brand new AEV 4 inch lift kit, but I don't like the idea of running a spacer.
I was thinking about adding the Fox 2.5 coilovers they sold for the BDS/Zone 6 inch lift and set them at 4".
First question, would it be a good idea ?
Second, would it gave me more wheel travel ?

P.S. Does anyone know the compressed and extended length of those coilovers ? Been looking everywhere and no one stems to have post it.
Thank you
its doable Extended 26.570 Compressed 20.380 Travel 6.190

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Personally I wouldnt install a discontinued kit for a handful of reasons. Zone 6" would be my recommendation you can still set it to 4" but our 4th gens respond the best with a 5" 3" lift

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no problem with the spacer since the longer coilover for the lift is really the same travel as any upgraded stock replacement strut. You just get the benefit of a larger shock body with the extended struts. The spacer is merely there to compensate for the drop brackets. If you use a 6” lifted coil over though you will be allowing for 2 more inches of down travel that is not accounted for in the making of that kit which can cause binding in the cv shafts or actual suspension travel. I would either look at the icon 4” extended coil overs or just use the spacer.

OP
OP
RamBat23

RamBat23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I don't want 6 inch lift, too high for me for a lot of reason, but mainly because of the young kids and short wife XD
I'm still not sure either about the AEV kit, but I think it was the best kit on the market, with their skid plate.
And I'd really rather have coilovers for the performance, I plan to bring the truck on mountain trails, sand quarry, dirt roads and such. Daily driver, but where I live it would better to have long travel haha.
If I could afford it, I would have it, believe me.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't want 6 inch lift, too high for me for a lot of reason, but mainly because of the young kids and short wife XD
I'm still not sure either about the AEV kit, but I think it was the best kit on the market, with their skid plate.
And I'd really rather have coilovers for the performance, I plan to bring the truck on mountain trails, sand quarry, dirt roads and such. Daily driver, but where I live it would better to have long travel haha.
If I could afford it, I would have it, believe me.
You can still buy stock replacement performance coil overs and use the spacer in the kit and achieve exactly the same thing as buying the longer coil overs. Like I stated the coil overs you asked about still are only stock replacement coil over travel specs. Nothing special. Still only 9” or just over 9” travel which is what I have with bilstein 5100s. 9” travel. Lol. No point in spending so much extra money for extended length in my opinion. The spacer works perfectly fine on every other lift installed and it’s sold in the kit for a reason.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you want to do a 4" kit I would recommend the Zone 4" kit and then we can set you up with Coilovers. Now if you dont really need all the lift but just want the performance of coil overs with a little bit of lift you can do a full ICON kit that offers 2.5 coil overs in front that will allow 2.5" lift, and for the rear 2.5 shocks and dual rate coils that offer 1.5" of lift.

Message me if you would like a quote or to discuss the options

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally I wouldnt install a discontinued kit for a handful of reasons. Zone 6" would be my recommendation you can still set it to 4" but our 4th gens respond the best with a 5" 3" lift
THIS. I have this kit. I too am somewhat vertically challenged and the stance and look of my truck is perfect, IMHO. Not too high. The fox coilovers are amazing. My truck rides like a dream.

OP
OP
RamBat23

RamBat23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
THIS. I have this kit. I too am somewhat vertically challenged and the stance and look of my truck is perfect, IMHO. Not too high. The fox coilovers are amazing. My truck rides like a dream.
Do you off-road much ?
How's the Fox react when you go fast on dirt road?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Do you off-road much ?
If you do Fox 2.5’s they handle high speed off road phenomenal. That is where they shine. The low speed crawling they do good but high speed they are great

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you off-road much ?

As quick_shifter mentioned. If you do higher speed off roading 2.5's are the way to go! They will handle much better

DesertDan63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Hi All, Looking to replace my front end Suspension..... I like the Carli systems but WOW the price is HIGH. What are so GOOD options for a 3" lift for my 2014 Ram 2500 6.4L Truck?

Thanks.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no problem with the spacer since the longer coilover for the lift is really the same travel as any upgraded stock replacement strut. You just get the benefit of a larger shock body with the extended struts. The spacer is merely there to compensate for the drop brackets. If you use a 6” lifted coil over though you will be allowing for 2 more inches of down travel that is not accounted for in the making of that kit which can cause binding in the cv shafts or actual suspension travel. I would either look at the icon 4” extended coil overs or just use the spacer.
The 4" and 6" CO's should be the same assemblies. For the 6" lift you just add more preload to the CO's to give you what you need in the front. At least that's how it works with the Fox 2.5 CO's. They cost the same as the 0-2" CO's. Don't know if there is a difference in the brackets/hubs/tierod extensions etc etc between 4 or 6" lifts though and furthermore from different manufacturers.
These are the 4-6" CO's from Fox