After two months of dealing with car salepeople......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tarpoon75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.7
I was finally able to close on my Ram .......I have forgotten how much I hate buying vehicles. A friend of mine, another 1500 owner, was nice enough to drive me 1.5 hours to pick her up. The ride back was great, love the V8 sound and power, the interior is equal to my old M5 and just can believe all the cabin room. Thanks to everyone to help me get off the fence and pull the trigger.

2019 1500 Limited

IMG_20190402_170237.jpg

2019 1500 Limited

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those are nice looking rims.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
congrats on the new truck

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
nice :cheers:

Mehgyver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
Grats on the new truck.

At one point in my car buying experience this last time I was so pissed at the dodge dealership i was dealing with I'd decided to not buy a Ram and spent two weeks looking at Fords/chevys/toyotas. Luckily I preservered when I discovered you just couldnt get the same amount of truck for the money from any other brand, contacted a new dealership and had an awesome experience with that one.

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Great looking Ram!

cop4hire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Congratulations on your new ride. Dealerships are the worst. Sadly, I believe we all get screwed at the stealerships. The odds are in their favor. It's just a matter of doing your homework and holding your ground to lesson the damage they try to do to your bottom line. My favorite line from a dealership while negotiating was "We can't pay you to own our vehicles". LOL Give me a break. They may tell you that you are killing them but in the back room they are laughing their butts off. These guys move from one manufacturer to another so it is not the vehicle that is ripping us off, it's the sales system.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congratulations on your new ride. Dealerships are the worst. Sadly, I believe we all get screwed at the stealerships. The odds are in their favor. It's just a matter of doing your homework and holding your ground to lesson the damage they try to do to your bottom line. My favorite line from a dealership while negotiating was "We can't pay you to own our vehicles". LOL Give me a break. They may tell you that you are killing them but in the back room they are laughing their butts off. These guys move from one manufacturer to another so it is not the vehicle that is ripping us off, it's the sales system.

I'm with you there, I'm currently double car shopping (myself and my gf) and I keep getting the exact same "we are only selling this for a couple hundred more than we payed for it" crap. Yes, so here's a $34,000 truck you have that you are making a couple hundred dollars off of, how do they keep the lights on? I then asked them if they really pay that much for vehicles, then they could surely give me the absolute FULL trade in value on my truck, right? Never heard back after that email. They're all so full of ****, and there may be a few good ones out there but the overwhelming majority of slimy salesmen makes it so a consumer has to look at them all that way.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Super nice!

What was the issue with the dealership / sales people?

For me anymore, I start my buying process online and get almost all of the buying/ trading process done that way. If they don't play, I find a dealership that does. Car sales people in my area are just paper processors. Everything goes through management.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good looking ride, and U got the upper end TRIM with all the pretty add ons and accessories.

Good Luck with yer new ride

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
oh yeah-watch "marketplace" they show salespeople say they have to talk to the manager and see if they can give you the a price that is unheard of until now-they go make a coffee and chat with other salespeople just long enough to hopefully make you think that they are fighting hard on your behalf. You have to be prepared to walk away-go back at the end of the month and negotiate again. If your still not happy-try another dealership-they compete with each other for sales quotas and sometimes make very little on a sale if they can get the numbers. I did very well I believe!

Matthew9227

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly I have worked as a car sales person and I have bought many new vehicles before becoming one. I have also bought 2 new cars since being a salesperson (I don’t sell cars anymore).

I seriously think a lot of people cause there own problem walking into a dealership. They walk in and expect the dealership to hand them the absolute best deal upfront (Dealers are not STUPID). No matter what that number is even if it is a GOOD deal most likely the customer will still want a lower price. Another thing why is them selling their product at Sticker Price a crime.

I can solve all of your problems (DO THE DAMN MATH). Don’t walk in and play games. Simply walk in with the OTD price you will pay on a specific stock number. If the dealerships Sales Manager does not walk over and make a deal right there see how close they will get. If they try playing games you do not want to do business with that kind of dealer.

I have found THE Dealership in my area that does not play games. I have bought vehicles without stepping in the dealer once. Price was easy send them the price on want on specific unit they agree.

I show up with the vehicle already pulled up keys in it take it for a spin confirm its the right one. Then they bring the paperwork to my house to sign. I then schedule pick up.

This dealership has even paid for repairs out of warranty that should have been my responsibility. They will treat you good if you show them some loyalty and buy vehicles there and send your friends. I have not paid for a car repair or rental since I have dealt with this dealership. I have also bought 6 vehicles and have sent numerous friends.

MORALE OF THE STORY
Find THE DEALERSHIP

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly I have worked as a car sales person and I have bought many new vehicles before becoming one. I have also bought 2 new cars since being a salesperson (I don’t sell cars anymore).

I seriously think a lot of people cause there own problem walking into a dealership. They walk in and expect the dealership to hand them the absolute best deal upfront (Dealers are not STUPID). No matter what that number is even if it is a GOOD deal most likely the customer will still want a lower price. Another thing why is them selling their product at Sticker Price a crime.

I can solve all of your problems (DO THE DAMN MATH). Don’t walk in and play games. Simply walk in with the OTD price you will pay on a specific stock number. If the dealerships Sales Manager does not walk over and make a deal right there see how close they will get. If they try playing games you do not want to do business with that kind of dealer.

I have found THE Dealership in my area that does not play games. I have bought vehicles without stepping in the dealer once. Price was easy send them the price on want on specific unit they agree.

I show up with the vehicle already pulled up keys in it take it for a spin confirm its the right one. Then they bring the paperwork to my house to sign. I then schedule pick up.

This dealership has even paid for repairs out of warranty that should have been my responsibility. They will treat you good if you show them some loyalty and buy vehicles there and send your friends. I have not paid for a car repair or rental since I have dealt with this dealership. I have also bought 6 vehicles and have sent numerous friends.

MORALE OF THE STORY
Find THE DEALERSHIP

That would be nice and all, but I'm WAY to picky to have one dealer I could be loyal to(just requiring the 3.92 lsd eliminates so many trucks). My last two rams I traveled about 12 hours round trip for, and I'm looking at another one right now that would be about the same. Plus the 3 ram dealers in my area do not have that good kind of a reputation, have lived here most of my life so I've certainly heard plenty of things from people who have bought from them. I approach them similarly though, but obviously can't do it in person as I'm not going to drive 12 hours in one day unless I already have a purchase order showing the exact numbers. However, I do approach them very straightforward and tell them where I'm at and what I can do, and if they can do it great, and if not no big deal I'll keep looking. Now if that was it that would be one thing, but they can't accept that black and white offer and have to try to get you up on your offer, at that point I may get a little rude depending on how persistent they get. Especially since that is the point they all give the same sob story about having no room to work on their end, it just gets annoying hearing the same BS time after time.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Surprisingly I was able to buy my Ram in town. Before the Ram I was a Nissan guy and our local Nissan dealers sucked and would never make a deal with you unless you were just willing to get screwed on price. My last 4 Nissan trucks I had to buy out of area to get a fair deal, going so far as 400 miles to get one.

With the Ram I went in with what I thought was fair and came to a deal within a couple of days. I'm happy with what I paid, $37k for a 4WD crew cab Maximum Steel with North, tow and Level 2 packages, all the stuff I want. And actually paid $36750 if I include my Allstate rebate. That's a heck of a deal if you ask me.

Matthew9227

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want options order the truck. I honestly never have an issue finding my truck with exact options I want. Living in Mass has its benefits.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Surprisingly I was able to buy my Ram in town. Before the Ram I was a Nissan guy and our local Nissan dealers sucked and would never make a deal with you unless you were just willing to get screwed on price. My last 4 Nissan trucks I had to buy out of area to get a fair deal, going so far as 400 miles to get one.

With the Ram I went in with what I thought was fair and came to a deal within a couple of days. I'm happy with what I paid, $37k for a 4WD crew cab Maximum Steel with North, tow and Level 2 packages, all the stuff I want. And actually paid $36750 if I include my Allstate rebate. That's a heck of a deal if you ask me.

Yeah that sounds like you did pretty well, nice job!

If you want options order the truck. I honestly never have an issue finding my truck with exact options I want. Living in Mass has its benefits.

That's fine if you're buying new, although not sure on pricing if ordering as I know that is highly dependent on what deals are going on once the vehicle arrives, which is a crapshoot. I can't resist getting a year or two old truck with under 10-15k miles and most of the warranty left for a significant discount. The downside of that, and being extremely picky, is I have to travel. And to be honest, being from NY, traveling down south for a vehicle isn't the worst thing. Does not take long for stuff to get crusty up here if the original owner doesn't take care of the vehicle.

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with Matthew above...I too sold cars for a while and the biggest lessons I learned were;
1) Research - Research - Research. you should know more about the truck your looking for than the salesperson (that really don't take much these days)
2) Treat them nicely - Be a jerk and guess what, they don't want to work with you much
3) Be ready to walk away. Do not feel you have to buy something right there/right then

But back to the OP ... Nice truck and welcome. I have not been here long myself but there is a ton of information on these pages.