Aftermarket coilovers with 6" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jdoidge92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I'v recently been searching for new coilovers and shocks for my 2013 ram 1500. It has a 6" zone off-road lift in it (6" strut spacer at the top) and I'm having a difficult time finding after market coil overs for the front.
The performance I'm looking for is for a smoother ride, occasional off-road use.
I'v been looking at bilstein but now I'm leaning to the fox 2.0 coils. Any thoughts?

That was just abit of info, my main question is do they make coilovers that are compatible with lifted trucks?
Thanks a lot guys (I quickly wrote this on my break so I hope I covered everything)

Thanks!

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
First off, Bilstein 5100's are not coilovers, they're struts. They are definitely better than stock and can be adjusted for additional height if wanted. What Fox 2.0 coilovers are you looking at. If you're looking at the ones for leveling (0-2") then you'll still be using the strut spacer that came with your Zone lift. If you want to get rid of that spacer you need the Fox coilovers from a 6" BDS lift.

Another option would be King coilovers but you'll be paying an arm and a leg for them.

OP
OP
J

Jdoidge92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off, Bilstein 5100's are not coilovers, they're struts. They are definitely better than stock and can be adjusted for additional height if wanted. What Fox 2.0 coilovers are you looking at. If you're looking at the ones for leveling (0-2") then you'll still be using the strut spacer that came with your Zone lift. If you want to get rid of that spacer you need the Fox coilovers from a 6" BDS lift.

Another option would be King coilovers but you'll be paying an arm and a leg for them.

sorry i clearly got the 5100's mixed up. i was hoping on keeping my 6" spacer and just instal a aftermarket "oem replacement or eqivelent" coilover (if thats even possible).
I got quoted $3000 for the set you mentioned from a local shop (in canada) that will allow me to lose the spacer (for 3 grand thats just not going to happen)
i was looking at the Fox 2.0 Performance Series Coil-over IFP (983-02-050) but not totally sure if it will work with my truck and lift combo.

Goatman91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This may sound like a stupid question but does the 5100s delete the spring on the front or do just use the oem one? I notice I can't find a coil over bilstein for some reason

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This may sound like a stupid question but does the 5100s delete the spring on the front or do just use the oem one? I notice I can't find a coil over bilstein for some reason

it uses the stock spring

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

But the Kings will ride so nice you can drive your truck with one arm and one leg!

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
sorry i clearly got the 5100's mixed up. i was hoping on keeping my 6" spacer and just instal a aftermarket "oem replacement or eqivelent" coilover (if thats even possible).
I got quoted $3000 for the set you mentioned from a local shop (in canada) that will allow me to lose the spacer (for 3 grand thats just not going to happen)
i was looking at the Fox 2.0 Performance Series Coil-over IFP (983-02-050) but not totally sure if it will work with my truck and lift combo.

Yes that's not a problem at all. Those Fox struts will work perfectly with your current 6" strut spacer and lift setup.

As mentioned above you use the stock spring and spring seats with the Bilsteins.

Bilstein doesn't make a coilover.

OP
OP
J

Jdoidge92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
imo i would just go with the 2.5 fox coil overs and 2.0 shocks for the rear that BDS uses

Paul Waltz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Guys,

New to the forum here. Resurrecting this thread --

I'm also installing a 6" Zone lift in my 2013 1500 and some 22x12 Forces on 35's. I have the Zone UCA kit as well as fox 2.0 rear shocks and 5" springs. I found a good deal on some fox 2.0 Front Coilovers (barely used) and want to confirm that the coilover eliminates the need for a preload spacer since it is adjustable (the idea of preload spacers make me angry for some reason).

I see here that the strut spacer will still be necessary, which I'm okay with (as long as all of my driveline angles are okay).

@Jdoidge92 -- have any comments on ride quality for these coilovers since you were considering the same ones?

Thanks!

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy awakening :)
You won't have a preload spacer with the Fox 2.0 CO's but you'll have to add the top spacer to make up for the difference in gap for the 6" lift just as if you were mounting cheaper struts with the kit. I don't know many people who will do that to their CO's, but seems doable because the FOX 2.0 CO's have studs at the top like conventional struts. I'm assuming because of the brackets and hub spindles included in the kit you won't be over extending your CO's ? I don't know anything about bracket lifts but if your CO's will be cycling in the same range as the stockers then you should be ok.

You can also look at 6" Fabtech 2.25 CO's without RES (FTS23157) or Fabtech 2.25 CO's with RES (FTS820452) or 6" Fox 2.5 CO's without DSC (883-02-073), or 6" Fox 2.5 CO's with DSC (883-06-073) All designed to fill in the gap for your 6" bracket lifts so you won't have to run preload or top spacers of any kind.

Paul Waltz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Holy awakening :)
You won't have a preload spacer with the Fox 2.0 CO's but you'll have to add the top spacer to make up for the difference in gap for the 6" lift just as if you were mounting cheaper struts with the kit. I don't know many people who will do that to their CO's, but seems doable because the FOX 2.0 CO's have studs at the top like conventional struts. I'm assuming because of the brackets and hub spindles included in the kit you won't be over extending your CO's ? I don't know anything about bracket lifts but if your CO's will be cycling in the same range as the stockers then you should be ok.

You can also look at 6" Fabtech 2.25 CO's without RES (FTS23157) or Fabtech 2.25 CO's with RES (FTS820452) or 6" Fox 2.5 CO's without DSC (883-02-073), or 6" Fox 2.5 CO's with DSC (883-06-073) All designed to fill in the gap for your 6" bracket lifts so you won't have to run preload or top spacers of any kind.

Thanks for the quick response! I actually found someone selling the 6" Fox 2.5 Coilovers for the BDS kit fairly local to me. Thinking about shooting him an offer and seeing what happens. I prefer to avoid spacers of any kind if possible; so we shall see!

Paul Waltz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Everyone — finally got around to installing my lift!

6” Zone kit with Fox 2.5 coilovers in the front as well as Zone UCA’s, 5” springs and fox 2.0 shocks in the rear. Sitting on some 22x12 American Forces wrapped in 35” Fury’s.

Thanks for the help!

7F65710C-CC96-4F19-B6D6-7627655272EC.jpeg

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Everyone — finally got around to installing my lift!

6” Zone kit with Fox 2.5 coilovers in the front as well as Zone UCA’s, 5” springs and fox 2.0 shocks in the rear. Sitting on some 22x12 American Forces wrapped in 35” Fury’s.

Thanks for the help!

View attachment 212600

Damn that looks tall, did they put the spacer on top of the 2.5 coilover?

Paul Waltz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn that looks tall, did they put the spacer on top of the 2.5 coilover?
Hi JB1,

I actually did the install on my back in my garage haha, but no, no spacer installed!

I was surprised with the height as well, but overall thrilled with the result

Reactions: JB1

Paul Waltz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, these are the Fox 2.5 Coilovers for 6” lifted 1500’s — if I added the spacer it would’ve been 12” in the front

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi JB1,

I actually did the install on my back in my garage haha, but no, no spacer installed!

I was surprised with the height as well, but overall thrilled with the result
What’s the final ground-to-fender edge measurements?