Aftermarket Sony HU w/Alpine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Felks32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Everyone,

I had my local car audio shop install a Sony XAV-9500ES in my Ram yesterday. They used the RAM KIT with Maestro RR, and the appropriate harnesses.

It sounds like crap...almost sounds like a speaker is blown, but i'm wondering if the crossover settings are just all wrong.

Anyone with the same or similar aftermarket head unit willing to share their settings for front and rear crossovers (and HPF) and subwoofer LPF?

Also the settings for Maestro Gain and anything else that might be appropriate?

Thanks,
Mike

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey Everyone,

I had my local car audio shop install a Sony XAV-9500ES in my Ram yesterday. They used the RAM KIT with Maestro RR, and the appropriate harnesses.

It sounds like crap...almost sounds like a speaker is blown, but i'm wondering if the crossover settings are just all wrong.

Anyone with the same or similar aftermarket head unit willing to share their settings for front and rear crossovers (and HPF) and subwoofer LPF?

Also the settings for Maestro Gain and anything else that might be appropriate?

Thanks,
Mike
Possibly the speakers are are wired backwards and out of phase? If I paid someone, I'd expect them to make it right but I'd probably only give them one chance, then figure out what is wrong on my own.

OP
OP
Felks32

Felks32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Possibly the speakers are are wired backwards and out of phase? If I paid someone, I'd expect them to make it right but I'd probably only give them one chance, then figure out what is wrong on my own.
I guess that's possible but I understood the hookups are all Maestro harnesses, no splicing of wires at all, easy to return to factory.

I'm definitely taking it back, unfortunately it's the Canada Day long weekend so I have to wait until Tuesday now. Figured I could do some troubleshooting in the driveway.

zrock

Reaction score
to me it almost sounds like they used the wrong harness for the system in your truck and your new head unit is supplying power to the speakers but in reality its supplying power to the amps in your truck instead of just supplying a signal so everything is distorted. I have run into this before doing my own installs where i was not 100% sure what system i had in my truck and trying to decipher the manufacturer's specs for the adapter. If it is the proper harness they may have to go it and turn the gain for the speakers way down to clean up the signal... Now if i do a install on a newer veh i just get rid of the whole factory system and replace everything..

OP
OP
Felks32

Felks32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Further testing....I took the exact same song - "Devastate" by Saint Asonia - and played it via Apple Carplay (Apple Music, Lossless Download) and then via YouTube stream, and the YouTube stream sounded a million times better than the Apple Music version. Did this for multiple songs, same results. The Youtube stream sounds significantly better than the Apple Music download. Could it be a Carplay issue? Time to check firmware versions I think.

OP
OP
Felks32

Felks32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sony HU firmware is up to date 1.29.04. iPhone is also up to date.

Just found on an Apple Support post that you need to turn Sound Check off under Apple Music settings. Trying now.

Edit: made no difference

Last edited:
OP
OP
Felks32

Felks32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Opened a ticket with Sony tech support, they are replacing the unit. Hopefully that does it.

I'm concerned because it sounds like wireless carplay is problematic in many vehicles. Wish this unit had wired carplay.

OP
OP
Felks32

Felks32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know I’m kinda talking to myself here but figured I’d document my process in case anyone else has similar issues.

Tried the Bluetooth connection again today but this time I turned the volume all the way up on my phone (it was set relatively low before) and now the Bluetooth streaming also sounds like crap.

So now I’m wondering as suggested above, either it’s not wired properly, they didn’t use the correct harness, or they blew a speaker because every media source sounds staticky. Going in Friday to find out.

EDIT: It seems to be related to Apple Music. Again, streaming anything on YouTube through Bluetooth sounds just fine. Speakers are fine. Gonna delete my library and try again. Maybe try spotify also.

EDIT 2: Spotify and Amazon Music sound as they should. So this is an Apple Music specific issue.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad it worked out. I’m looking into swapping my hu out to an alpine ilx-507 with all the adapters and maestro RR. My wife’s Rav4 sometimes has “connection issues” with CarPlay. It’ll connect but won’t show the phone on the radio or it’ll be playing her music then randomly skip and the radio shows lost connection for a fraction of a second. We’ve reset the CarPlay on the phone and radio but it’s so random on functionality that it would be nearly impossible to show the dealer

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I've no issues using wireless AndroidAuto on my Kenwood DMX975XR.
When my lady drives she connects wirelessly to CarPlay and also has no issues.
It can transition seamlessly back and forth between the two.

Glad the OP got it sorted. Nothing like spending good money on quality equipment and it not working correctly.

OP
OP
Felks32

Felks32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A day later and everything is still perfect. Tested all functionality and it’s working as it should. Too bad it took a complete replacement but it’s done now and I couldn’t be happier with the end result.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Kenwood I put in mine(DMX4707). It's cool but I should have got a Sony( different model than yours) as I like it has an actual button for volume as opposed to a capacitive that i have to keep tapping and it misses taps sometimes.
That's my only complaint though. Otherwise it does work great.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Figured I’d add a picture of the finished product. View attachment 524244
Remember if you still have your factory radio it's worth several hundred dollars. You can offset some of your cost by selling it or finance your next upgrade. Glad you got this squared away, looks good!

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Remember if you still have your factory radio it's worth several hundred dollars. You can offset some of your cost by selling it or finance your next upgrade. Glad you got this squared away, looks good!
I had no idea it was worth much & thanks for the info.
What's the average resale value of a used HU.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
2019, and no NAV.
It was replaced under warranty with a new factory head unit in 2021.
Thanks.