Aftermarket Sony HU w/Alpine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Holy moly. Mine’s a 2022 with Nav. Guess I’ll have to consider that!
Yep, the $900 appears to be the lower end too. Many are listed for $1000+...One thing I would caution, eBay takes a big bite out of the sale, try selling in this forum's classifieds or Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace if you do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Felks32

Felks32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just adding...the shop “tuned” the system for me using the parametric eq (only did Front L and Front R) in the Sony unit. They mentioned that they were able to get rid of a lot of the excess bass and get to a more accurate sound that I was looking for. Figured I'd post the graphs for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_2586.jpeg
    IMG_2586.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2587.jpeg
    IMG_2587.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OP
OP
Felks32

Felks32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another thing I wanted to add. AM and FM reception is horrible. I get 1 local FM station in relatively clearly and no AM. I was running with a Rydonair 13" antenna on my 8.4 unit and it worked fine. With the new HU, I've pretty much lost all radio stations. Swapped back to the OEM antenna, didn't make a difference.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another thing I wanted to add. AM and FM reception is horrible. I get 1 local FM station in relatively clearly and no AM. I was running with a Rydonair 13" antenna on my 8.4 unit and it worked fine. With the new HU, I've pretty much lost all radio stations. Swapped back to the OEM antenna, didn't make a difference.
How did you connect the antenna adapter? Most of them are powered.

OP
OP
Felks32

Felks32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK...more issues.

Yesterday I went out at lunch to grab a bite to eat. Went back to the truck, and the stereo wouldn't turn on. Weird. Turned the truck off, opened the door, shut the door and started the truck again. Stereo turned on this time, but I lost all Maestro integration. No climate, no gauges, no steering wheel controls. All gone. OBD2 Error 1 and Error 2. Also lost my garage door buttons.

Tried a Maestro master reset. No dice. Someone suggested disconnecting the battery...will try that next.

I'm about 10 minutes away from ripping all this crap out and going back to stock. What a mistake.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK...more issues.

Yesterday I went out at lunch to grab a bite to eat. Went back to the truck, and the stereo wouldn't turn on. Weird. Turned the truck off, opened the door, shut the door and started the truck again. Stereo turned on this time, but I lost all Maestro integration. No climate, no gauges, no steering wheel controls. All gone. OBD2 Error 1 and Error 2. Also lost my garage door buttons.

Tried a Maestro master reset. No dice. Someone suggested disconnecting the battery...will try that next.

I'm about 10 minutes away from ripping all this crap out and going back to stock. What a mistake.
That is very interesting that you’re having such an issue. There are so many vehicles running similar setups. I’m halfway into ordering my setup but trying to figure out what amps to go with and what wattage I want to run to the doors. Unfortunately technology is a hard one since some things integrate better than others even with using the same equipment. I’m an electrician and have been installing car chargers a lot lately for commercial buildings and have had multiple failures on brand new in the box chargers. It partially appears to be a QC issue lately

OP
OP
Felks32

Felks32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is very interesting that you’re having such an issue. There are so many vehicles running similar setups. I’m halfway into ordering my setup but trying to figure out what amps to go with and what wattage I want to run to the doors. Unfortunately technology is a hard one since some things integrate better than others even with using the same equipment. I’m an electrician and have been installing car chargers a lot lately for commercial buildings and have had multiple failures on brand new in the box chargers. It partially appears to be a QC issue lately
Yeah it's frustrating for sure. Honestly don't know what to make of it. I guess it's possible the Maestro was also faulty, or a wire came loose or something. Perhaps disconnecting the battery will help...who knows. To be honest I had my doubts going into this because of all of the various CANBUS things that can happen with these trucks. I guess my worries have been confirmed.

I'm in IT and usually have a lot of patience for this stuff...but this is really testing my patience. Perhaps if I would have done the install myself, now I just feel at the mercy of whatever the installer did.

I was between upgrading the stereo and putting a set of Morimoto XB headlights in and I chose the stereo...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah it's frustrating for sure. Honestly don't know what to make of it. I guess it's possible the Maestro was also faulty, or a wire came loose or something. Perhaps disconnecting the battery will help...who knows. To be honest I had my doubts going into this because of all of the various CANBUS things that can happen with these trucks. I guess my worries have been confirmed.

I'm in IT and usually have a lot of patience for this stuff...but this is really testing my patience. Perhaps if I would have done the install myself, now I just feel at the mercy of whatever the installer did.

I was between upgrading the stereo and putting a set of Morimoto XB headlights in and I chose the stereo...
Id recommend the AlphaRex headlights anyway if it makes you feel better about your choices?

OP
OP
Felks32

Felks32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id recommend the AlphaRex headlights anyway if it makes you feel better about your choices?
Can I ask why you'd recommend the Alphas over the Morimotos?

Everything I read says that the Morimotos are an overall better product, outside of the price tag. I want true plug & play, no AlphaOBD or extra trickery required.

EDIT: Also - the stock radio is back in, and everything is as it should be. Never been happier to see a stock radio. :)

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Can I ask why you'd recommend the Alphas over the Morimotos?

Everything I read says that the Morimotos are an overall better product, outside of the price tag. I want true plug & play, no AlphaOBD or extra trickery required.

EDIT: Also - the stock radio is back in, and everything is as it should be. Never been happier to see a stock radio. :)
Probably just a bias from me from their launch. There are some threads here somewhere discussing the issues folks had. While they are arguably the best, AlphaRex offers second best at a much lower price point.

I eventually went back to a stock radio too, no shame in it!

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EDIT: Also - the stock radio is back in, and everything is as it should be. Never been happier to see a stock radio.
What factory audio system do you have in the truck? Is it a factory 8.4 six speaker system?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.4 Alpine System with Nav.
Gotcha. After reading your posts I was thinking an amp upgrade may be a better option since you could keep the factory head unit. The Alpine system really hampers the ability to upgrade.

OP
OP
Felks32

Felks32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotcha. After reading your posts I was thinking an amp upgrade may be a better option since you could keep the factory head unit. The Alpine system really hampers the ability to upgrade.
Ultimately that's what I'll end up doing if I ever go back to the audio system. Rip out the Alpine stuff and put in a PAC unit with an aftermarket amp, speakers and sub.

For now i've moved onto other things....rims or headlights. :)

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ultimately that's what I'll end up doing if I ever go back to the audio system. Rip out the Alpine stuff and put in a PAC unit with an aftermarket amp, speakers and sub.

I’ll play devils advocate. You have factory projectors which are pretty good. Your rims in the profile pic look good. You only use headlights at night and you can’t see the rims when you are in the cab listening to your awesome new amp. I know I don’t get a vote but my non vote is upgrade the amp. Lol

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Just a thought, many have replaced the factory sub only (drop in to OEM box) and like the results.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Id go rims.

Everybody has the same rims. Sure there are a few different ones but they are all the same styles is what i mean and id go different from what Ram puts on just to be different.

The stock headlights unless they are all fogged over id leave em on. I changed mine but mine were all messed up and after having htem cleaned once, they went back to crap soon after and were worse.

I have Spyder projector headlights now. I think they look good but not great quality. I paid $260 for then on eBay and i know there are higher priced ones out there. Not sure that means they are betrer quality.

Only reason i mention quality is a very thin clear film started flaking away on the top at the 1 year mark. They still look clear and havent fogged over at all but not sure what the thin layer film was. But i do love the look over my stock headlights which didnt have any LED driving lights in them.