Aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beechguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dealer told me that on my 2018 1500 I couldn't use an aftermarket plug in brake controller and had to have an oem controller installed. I see the aftermarkets advertised but has anyone used one? Where is the plug?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Per Etrailer it looks to but just under the dash in front of the gas pedal area. It's a square plug about 3/4 by 3/4

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
And do yourself a favor, stay away from that dealer, hes full of crap. On my 2017 the connector is below the ignition switch just behind the dash wrapped in protective wrap with another connector. As 14hemiexpress said its square, the other connector with it is rectangular

SeaRefractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea, there are harnesses that will plug into the oem connectors to allow you to easily use third-party controllers. On an earlier vehicle, I used a third-party controller but kept hitting it with my knee, so I opted for the oem in my 2016 RAM, but you don't have to use the oem.

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put one (aftermarket) in my '17. The connection is where everyone says it is. Go to etrailer, put in your info, it will give you selections to choose from, installation videos, etc...