AGM VS OEM VS LEAD CELL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
At 4 years old, that might be a good candidate for a free and quick load test at your favourite auto parts store. Then you can make an educated guesstimation as to when the replacement would be prudent.

PS; beware of digital testers, a toaster style is far more reliable.

View attachment 537596

Yeah, I think I saw one on Amazon for $16 - $17.
Finally, a new tool I can afford!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I think I saw one on Amazon for $16 - $17.
Finally, a new tool I can afford!

I somehow ended up with 2 of them with the older unit being from the late 80s. They're indestructible and provide a very reliable method of testing.

I prefer the convenience of owning my tools and test equipment.

Amazon battery load tester

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I somehow ended up with 2 of them with the older unit being from the late 80s. They're indestructible and provide a very reliable method of testing.

Ah, Harbor Freight, that's the one I was thinking of. And I have one of their stores about 2 miles from me.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

My old toaster tester i inherited from my Dad,finally died a couple years ago,but it had to be from the mid 60's or earlier,as i don't ever remember it not hanging on the shop wall as a kid.
My new one isn't quite the quality as the one my dad bought,but it's still pretty decent for the price.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Am looking at replacing my OEM AGM battery in my motorcycle this year. I have an Odyssey AGM in my truck, so far so good, despite the big hoo-hah over whether the truck alternator is charging it with an AGM-specific charge method.

So stupid in this era.

Anyway, I stumbled across the following chart in my readings. Odyssey and X2 still considered top of the line, maybe Duracell (East Penn) 2nd. Odyssey bought up X2 and Northstar and discontinued Northstar brand name, btw.

Odyssey does NOT recommend NOCO chargers. At least they aren't approved. Remember AGM batteries take a very different charging cycle than flooded wet cell batteries. I use the C-Tek 5.0 Amp auto maintainer charger on all my batteries now.

That's all I know about it - I'm not an electrical engineer, and even our electrical engineers when I was working hated battery charging algorithms for some reason.

Attachments

• odyssey-approved-12V-chargers.pdf
    69.9 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat