AGM VS OEM VS LEAD CELL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ok, this guy makes no sense:
"If you’ve just replaced the battery in your Ram 1500, then it’s important to reset the system so that everything runs efficiently. Fortunately, this can be done easily and quickly with a few simple steps. First, turn off all electronics – lights, audio systems and any other accessories.

Then open the hood and disconnect both negative (black) cables from the old battery. Next, connect one of these black cables to the new battery’s negative terminal and reattach all wires connected to it. Finally, reconnect both negative cables back onto their respective terminals on the battery and close up your hood."

This guy makes more sense:
"

2019 Ram 1500 Reset After Battery Change​

The 2019 Ram 1500 is equipped with a computer system that must be reset after any battery changes. To do this, open the hood and locate the fuse box. Remove the IOD fuse from its slot and wait 10 seconds before replacing it in its original position.

This will allow your truck to reset itself and recognize the new battery.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
No hooie. Odyssey requires 14.7 V to charge properly. Deka has no such requirement(13.8 min), just not to overcharge.
That is only for charging the battery out of the vehicle.
I thought we were talking about charging the battery BY the vehicle.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yes, we are discussing charging by the vehicle alternator. I don't know MOPAR's parameters, most wet cell batteries were 14.4V on high charge cycle.

Whatever it's supposed to be for the AGM battery is either/and/or lower and/or less amps due to the lower resistance of the higher quantity of thin, lead plates.

And so - the charging regime should be different based on what battery is used. The truck comes from the factory with standard, flooded wet cell lead acid battery.

Does the truck sense if an AGM is put in instead? What I've seen from members so far is NO - it does not. Which is stupid in the 21st century.

And so, factory service has a secret service method to do so. Which is also stupid.

One guy says you can pull a fuse for 15 seconds.

Another guy says you have to disconnect the battery for 2-4 hours.

wtaf, guys? This isn't brain surgery.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yes, we are discussing charging by the vehicle alternator. I don't know MOPAR's parameters, most wet cell batteries were 14.4V on high charge cycle.

Whatever it's supposed to be for the AGM battery is either/and/or lower and/or less amps due to the lower resistance of the higher quantity of thin, lead plates.

And so - the charging regime should be different based on what battery is used. The truck comes from the factory with standard, flooded wet cell lead acid battery.

Does the truck sense if an AGM is put in instead? What I've seen from members so far is NO - it does not. Which is stupid in the 21st century.

And so, factory service has a secret service method to do so. Which is also stupid.

One guy says you can pull a fuse for 15 seconds.

Another guy says you have to disconnect the battery for 2-4 hours.

wtaf, guys? This isn't brain surgery.
Seems according to the attachment, the charging you get from a shop charger is not the same as the charging you get from an alternator while in the vehicle.
The attachment makes no mention of vehicle alternators not charging a battery, only shop chargers.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Im just itching to replace the batteries in my 2500 6.7. Ill be replacing them with H7 AGM by interstate. This is also the same battery im wanting to put in my jeep but that damn thing wont die, It doesnt help that i charge my batteries once every 2-3 months with the Noco 10 just to make sure they are fully topped off.

If you're looking to purchase a battery, be it AGM or otherwise from Amazon, don't!
That's my opinion though, and recommendation, too!

Go to a battery distributor and receive the right product with a warranty that they back.

Now, I was always an Interstate guy, and albeit I may have had the exception to their great reputation, but my recent H8 AGM Interstate battery flatlined after 8 months... and it was a huge critical failure for me, and a costly one, too.

Because of this great Forum and its Members, I went to an Odyssey H8 AGM battery, and you know what.... my electrical system is even happier.

With my current audio system I also don't get the dimming like I did with the H8 AGM Interstate, nor the draw I did with my camera system either as my Drone app has a battery voltage monitor.

I can clearly see what's going on with my battery voltage when the truck is off and my other accessories are functioning, from anywhere in the world :)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I can't see a 19 Challenger being much differant then a 19 truck,and i disconnect the battery alot in the car , and once it sits for an hour to an hour and half , everything is back in it. Car has to sit though,as it doesn't seem to reset itself if you drive it right after reconnecting the battery.
That applies up to 23 Challengers to,so i'm guessing up to 23 trucks wouldn't be any differant either

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On the battery subject, I'm curious on how many use a "memory saver" when they change batteries ? I have used one for years, and never had any computer, or resetting issues.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
On the battery subject, I'm curious on how many use a "memory saver" when they change batteries ? I have used one for years, and never had any computer, or resetting issues.
I've never used a battery saver,as alot of times i'm doing a battery disconnect to reset the engine and transmission adaptives.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
JFC, Boird - you're a closet genius after all.

Well, I don't wanna have factory flash my ECM cause I got a tune bolted to it.
Tech seems to imply if you depower for hours the ECM goes into re-learn - can't believe it would just relearn the IBS part?

I wonder if my bolt on ECM tune would freak out?
I think your suspicions are correct. Disconnecting the battery for a time is used to "unofficial reset" a number of items, including the TCM shift schedules.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105977 miles.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I think your suspicions are correct. Disconnecting the battery for a time is used to "unofficial reset" a number of items, including the TCM shift schedules.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105977 miles.

Sure would be nice to know this for sure, and what the period for sure is.

I mean, you can't even trust all of the Dealer Techs.

@Tach_tech - you still here? Can you comment how to reset the ISB Module for correct battery type charging? In my case, from flooded wet cell to AGM lead acid.

iWolfRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sure would be nice to know this for sure, and what the period for sure is.

I mean, you can't even trust all of the Dealer Techs.

@Tach_tech - you still here? Can you comment how to reset the ISB Module for correct battery type charging? In my case, from flooded wet cell to AGM lead acid.
Im also very curious about this. My OEM battery is on its last leg after 10 years (yeah, I know… already on borrowed time).

I’ve done a battery recondition on it twice now, which has helped for sure, but it’s absolutely weak.

I’ve spent a lot of time reading about doing the H8 AGM “upgrade,” which seems like a good idea to me. But if the AGM isn’t going to be recognized, and burned out in a few years, then what’s the point? I’d almost rather just get another OEM battery in hopes that it’ll be of similar longevity to this one. Although I have doubts about quality nowadays with a lot of things, including batteries.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The majority of common auto batteries are lead / acid . Kind of like saying, apple vs Dole vs fruit.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Im also very curious about this. My OEM battery is on its last leg after 10 years (yeah, I know… already on borrowed time).

I’ve done a battery recondition on it twice now, which has helped for sure, but it’s absolutely weak.

I’ve spent a lot of time reading about doing the H8 AGM “upgrade,” which seems like a good idea to me. But if the AGM isn’t going to be recognized, and burned out in a few years, then what’s the point? I’d almost rather just get another OEM battery in hopes that it’ll be of similar longevity to this one. Although I have doubts about quality nowadays with a lot of things, including batteries.

I'm with ya.

These OEM's hiding everything really ****** me off.

At least for me, not using my truck as much these days, I leave it on my true AGM battery maintainer/charger in the garage. So the battery is at least properly conditioned and fully charged when I take it out.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
There you go. AGM battery saves your alternator.
Ditch lead/acid.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Regarding the IBS, I have not been able to find it, but I read a Mopar bulletin that stated it would re-learn after being disconnected. I did find this summary, which pretty well seems to paraphrase it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240215_091015_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240215_091015_Chrome.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 18

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anybody with experience differences in AGM quality between manufacturers?

There's only a couple of manufacturers left -
Clarios (formerly Johnson Controls, now made in Mexico, all sorts of brands),
East Penn (made in USA, Duracell, Dekos, etc),
Enersys, made in USA, Odyssey, Northern, X2), Optima?

btw, Interstate is a spec & bid outfit that is just a brand that bids out to low bidders based on what region of USA you're in, including foreign nations. Yeah, I know Costco carries them, but different locations have different manufactured batteries. Doesn't sound like a quality placeholder company to me.
Random fun fact, Clarios has a fully automated facility in Florence, Kentucky, that manufactures their plastic battery cases. After the parts are injection molded, they hit the line and are not touched by human hands again. They're assembled, packed and palletized by robots and AGVs. Really neat to see.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've owned several Optima Yellow Tops. Some I've gotten real long life out of some (like 12 yrs), most just as long as a "premium-grade" lead-acid battery (usually 9-10 yrs around here). I think the original Ram battery in my tk lasted ~10 years for me. The Walmart one matched the original one exactly (then Johnson Controls --both batteries). I took an Interstate L/A out of a skid loader 2 yrs ago that was 14yrs old to the month! Interstates...though made by other companies (to their specs) seem to be built to premium specs.

In Ohio you (OP) probably get good life out of batteries there. In your area, I don't think it matters too much what tech you go with. I'd probably call your Interstate place and price out a L/A battery, compare to others and make a decision. A premium battery has thicker (and brand new) lead. More plate supports. And brand new electrolyte. If you look, a premium battery weights a couple lbs more than the less expensive versions (which cost less)...due to the additional product inside. You kinda get what you pay for.

And Optima is still a lead/acid battery. They wrap an electrolyte-impregnated matt real TIGHT in spiral-wrapped lead sheet (cylinders). They cost more but provide certain benefits. Do you need those benefits for driving to work, and picking up groceries?? That's up to you...

Both battery types are real good. Depends on budget/cost/purpose..

Cheers!!

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I kinda wish this had been a poll.

My factory battery lasted until 04/2020 and 66,711 miles.
Dealer replaced it with Mopar BBH7F001AA FOR $174.00 plus labor.

Now about 4 years later, battery works fine, but thinking about replacing it and the serpentine (original) at next oil change.

The only trouble with leaving it to see how long it lasts is I may be stranded somewhere. There isn't always a warning.

Still, not really seeing where my grocery-getter will benefit from an AGM. I think I'd rather search for the best brand / best quality I can get in a flooded lead acid battery.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I kinda wish this had been a poll.

My factory battery lasted until 04/2020 and 66,711 miles.
Dealer replaced it with Mopar BBH7F001AA FOR $174.00 plus labor.

Now about 4 years later, battery works fine, but thinking about replacing it and the serpentine (original) at next oil change.

The only trouble with leaving it to see how long it lasts is I may be stranded somewhere. There isn't always a warning.

Still, not really seeing where my grocery-getter will benefit from an AGM. I think I'd rather search for the best brand / best quality I can get in a flooded lead acid battery.

At 4 years old, that might be a good candidate for a free and quick load test at your favourite auto parts store. Then you can make an educated guesstimation as to when the replacement would be prudent.

PS; beware of digital testers, a toaster style is far more reliable.

battery load tester.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357