AGM VS OEM VS LEAD CELL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxibrobro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I have a 2016 6.7 cummins and need to replace batteries.
What are your guy's opinions on agm vs OEM vs lead cell?

I have heard that agm may not be the best for a stock alternators. Is there truth to this?

I am open to opinion and what you all think. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Usually most people don't like the damage AGM batteries does to the pocket book.
There isn't a problem swapping out the OEM flooded lead acid batteries with AGM.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Been running AGM batteries in my diesel for about 8 years. Optima redtops are the way to go in my opinion. Truck starts every time. Once the factory baytery goes in my hemi I'll put that in it too

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
AGM. Prices have come down since they 1st hit consumer markets (these were developed for military 1st).

They're still more expensive but if you shop around they aren't that much more and can give you a couple more service years. They were especially popular at first in applications that bounce around alot like boats and power sports machines.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed AGM batteries in my 95 Dodge diesel, Odyssey. Not cheap especially when you are replacing two. I will only use AGM batteries in any vehicle. I've never had any issues with the batteries or charging systems. One of the best benefits that I find with them is NO corrosion on or around the cables.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
AGM all the way! Worth the money, in my opinion.
You can't go wrong with Odyssey or Optima.

I have the upsized H8 in my 1500, and what an improvement in starting and a happy electrical system.

I also have over 2000W of audio in my truck including a digital 5-farad capacitor, and now using the Odyssey H8 AGM, I don't get the light dimming.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
AGM all the way! Worth the money, in my opinion.
You can't go wrong with Odyssey or Optima.

I have the upsized H8 in my 1500, and what an improvement in starting and a happy electrical system.

I also have over 2000W of audio in my truck including a digital 5-farad capacitor, and now using the Odyssey H8 AGM, I don't get the light dimming.
Did you do the Big 3 wiring upgrade.If not,it makes quite a differance.

MSDelta

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Well, I am old enough to remember when batteries had removable caps on them to enable you to add distilled water to them when the cells got low. Sometimes I wonder if the inability to do that to modern lead batteries leads to premature failure and longevity?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Did you do the Big 3 wiring upgrade.If not,it makes quite a differance.

Huh. I missed this one. Without running out to the barn tonight, do you know what the stock battery lead size is?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Huh. I missed this one. Without running out to the barn tonight, do you know what the stock battery lead size is?
Off the top of my head i think it's at most 4G and might even be 6G,been close to 10 years since i upgraded all the wiring on my truck,but the wiring is seriously under sized. I piggybacked the alt feed to fuse box with another 4G,then ran a bunch of extra grounds using 6G. I can't say as i ever really noticed an increase in power or gas milege,but lots of guys do claim an increase in both.I did notice the heater and headlights seem to work better.One issue i had with my truck when it was new,was the tailgate would give static locking and unlocking,the dealer put a new lock in it,under warrenty but that never fixed the issue,but when i grounded the box to the frame,then grounded the frame to the battery i've never had another issue with the tailgate.I used the terminal behind the battery as my ground lug,ran a #2 from the battery to the lug,and then ran piggyback grounds off it to the fenders, to the engine,to the frame,and to the pcm. I've never had an electrical issue that wasn't my own fault,lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My truck is a bit differant then most trucks,as i run a relocated battery,and to be NHRA legal it needs a master disconnect switch that shuts the truck off,so it has a fair bit of non stock wiring. To make the master disconnect switch in the back bumper work,you have to kill power to the fuse box,and no i'm not gonna go into explaining that,as i'd be all night writing up how to do it,lol.Relocated battery is the back box,the stand alone fuel cell for the nitrous is the front tank.

Attachments

• IMG_3998.JPG
    IMG_3998.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2923.JPG
    IMG_2923.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN4090.JPG
    DSCN4090.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 13

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you read through the above thread, i posted a link to the original thread on the Z from several years ago,and it's worth reading to. I'm Hornet on the Z thread,and i still had my old 13 when that thread was active,this truck had alot more done to it,when i upgraded it's wiring

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
If you read through the above thread, i posted a link to the original thread on the Z from several years ago,and it's worth reading to. I'm Hornet on the Z thread.

Yep saw that thanks - big 3 main power leads I/O

Just surprised they would use marginal 6awg on such a high draw truck.
Yeah I know copper is big bucks, but so is the damn truck!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yep saw that thanks - big 3 main power leads I/O

Just surprised they would use marginal 6awg on such a high draw truck.
Yeah I know copper is big bucks, but so is the damn truck!
I've heard a couple theories on why they went cheap on the wiring,one was to safe money,the other was to save weight,although i'm more inclined to believe the save money theory more then the save weight theory,lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I've heard a couple theories on why they went cheap on the wiring,one was to safe money,the other was to save weight,although i'm more inclined to believe the save money theory more then the save weight theory,lol

Ok, but on an HD?
C'mon, man! 6,600 lbs empty.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I agree,i don't think the save weight theory carries as much weight, as much as they were cheap and wanted to save money,lol

K'. Why not put a Briggs and Stratton in it instead of a Hemi, while they're at it?
Why cheap out on critical power item?
I don't get it. I mean, they put an AAM all gear torsen axle on the thing. $20 more copper is a profit breaker after that?
pppfffttt

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357