Airbags or better springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tow a 12' cargo trailer thats gets pretty heavy. When I first got it, I had serious porpoising and sag. So I upgraded the shocks, and upgraded the coils to TTC-1210s. I still get some sag, so I was at first thinking I should upgrade the coils again to TTC1211s. But then I ran across the Airlift 60818s, now I have questions.

The truck has a 2.5" level. Will the airbags affect the setup unloaded?
Is the airbag a better option than upgrading the coils again?

Thanks

OP
OP
mh3c

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, in my brain, I think it works like this:

- Airbags dont affect ride height
- inflate air bag to appropriate amount to keep from sagging.
- when trailer is disconnected, ride height is still normal

Correct?

PaPa_Brewskey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently purchased a set of Boss Airbags, and an Airlift Wireless One compressor kit. I went with Boss over AirLift because they attach to the stock trounce brackets. I'm hoping to get it all installed this weekend. Once everything is installed, I'll post pictures.

As for your thinking, I think you on track. With the payload empty, the airbags should be inflated to 5 psi, and they won't affect the ride or ride height. At this point your riding on the stock springs. When the truck is loaded, you'll inflate the airbags until the truck is level. Check out the etrailer website, they have a ton of useful installation videos, info, etc., on towing and towing set ups.

OP
OP
mh3c

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently purchased a set of Boss Airbags, and an Airlift Wireless One compressor kit. I went with Boss over AirLift because they attach to the stock trounce brackets. I'm hoping to get it all installed this weekend. Once everything is installed, I'll post pictures.

As for your thinking, I think you on track. With the payload empty, the airbags should be inflated to 5 psi, and they won't affect the ride or ride height. At this point your riding on the stock springs. When the truck is loaded, you'll inflate the airbags until the truck is level. Check out the etrailer website, they have a ton of useful installation videos, info, etc., on towing and towing set ups.

Ha. Im actually watching an Airlift Wireless installation video wondering if I'm brave enough to do it myself. They say it takes an hour. So far it looks simple.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ha. Im actually watching an Airlift Wireless installation video wondering if I'm brave enough to do it myself. They say it takes an hour. So far it looks simple.

you've got it. did you install the rear springs yourself? if so, its super easy. i 've done it probably 5 or 6 times, here's my method. (i do this for basically any rear end work: air bags, rear shocks, swaybar stuff, end links etc)

1. floor jack on the rear diff, lift the truck high enough to get jack stands under the frame rail.
2. drop the truck onto the jack stands, make sure the frame settles well enough so the jacks don't move.
3. remove the rear wheels (this lets you get more 'droop' on the rear axle so you can easily pull the spring out.
4. drop the axle as far as you can with the floor jack, and then put a little pressure on it again to alleviate the strain on brake lines
5. pull the fender liners. bunch of *i think* 8mm or 10mm bolts lining the fender well.
6. enjoy all of your room and access to the areas to run lines, pull the springs, put your bags in there, etc. you probably don't have to pull the springs to get the bags in, but instead of bleeding air, hot dog fold, blunt push stuff, i just pull the spring, get the air hose clamped on the bag, and then drop it in the spring and re-install. if you run the hose right, you should be able to slip top in first, pressure the bottom in, and move on to the next side.

i-prNK7f9-X4.jpg

just for fun, i used the T fitting for the hoses, and ran my schrader fitting into my gas cap area. i love it here, no bending around the bumper with the trailer on like my last kit.

i-K62TR8D-X4.jpg

OP
OP
mh3c

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very Helpful. Thanks! I think Ive abandoned replacing the coils again and going with airbags. I looked at the Airlift, but then was pointed to the Timber Groves. So NOW I'm thinking I may get those with the AirLift Wireless, cause who doesn't want remote control airbags?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I tow a 12' cargo trailer thats gets pretty heavy. When I first got it, I had serious porpoising and sag. So I upgraded the shocks, and upgraded the coils to TTC-1210s. I still get some sag, so I was at first thinking I should upgrade the coils again to TTC1211s. But then I ran across the Airlift 60818s, now I have questions.

The truck has a 2.5" level. Will the airbags affect the setup unloaded?
Is the airbag a better option than upgrading the coils again?

Thanks

Sounds like improper load, to me

Heavy 12 ft trailer?

Make sure the total trailer weight is properly distributed.
weigh the loaded trailer, then weigh tongue weight.
if the tongue weight is below 7% or over 15% of total trailer weight, then move trailers axle to compensate, in order to obtain desired tongue weight.

Think about it, guys are towing 30ft travel trailers with these trucks.
how in the world does a tiny 12ft trailer cause issues?
Unless all the trailers weight is tongue weight and maxing out payload.

regarding the 1210. I can see why oen would only look for 25% more load bearing,
with the trailer being a tiny little 12 footer.

Yet, if OEM is not enough, why not get most bang for buck?
I think the 1223V or 1211 would have been better choice vs 1210.

If stock springs are not enough, then get best replacements springs available.
Once best springs are installed, and If more is needed, then and only then, consider air bags.

But,a gain, I am thinking the trailer itself, specifically percentage of total trailer weight compared to trailer tongue weight, is your issue.

Too much trailer tongue weight is a TOP cause of porpoising.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Just googled tuftruck springs, then went to images. . .

HEY, THat's my truck!

Googled tuftruck 1211
tuftruck 1223
tuftruck 1223v

HEY, That;s still my truck!

Kinda Funny - had to share

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very Helpful. Thanks! I think Ive abandoned replacing the coils again and going with airbags. I looked at the Airlift, but then was pointed to the Timber Groves. So NOW I'm thinking I may get those with the AirLift Wireless, cause who doesn't want remote control airbags?

i’d be pretty jealous of you if you got the wireless kit. haha

I have a cheap 12v air compressor from a parts house that fills the bags up really well, but i’m usually adding/adjusting air here and there through the month. gets a little old.

i’m thinking about abandoning the airlift 1000 and moving to a 5000 kit, I really like where they sit on the rear axle. i’m lowered on a modded 2/5 kit, and still haven’t found the sweet spot with the 1000s yet.

the airlift 1000 in the spring makes a HUGE difference when towing. I won’t own a ram ever again without at least the 1000 kit. my 17 has had them in since around 4k miles.

cc4489d6048600531e8195f5754701bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cody mummert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so i got a 33' travel trailer. with equilizer 4 way weight distributing hitch. and the truck drops about and inch in the rear when hooked up and still gives a bit of pourpousing when on the move if i install timber groves or airlift bags this shuold help right

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so i got a 33' travel trailer. with equilizer 4 way weight distributing hitch. and the truck drops about and inch in the rear when hooked up and still gives a bit of pourpousing when on the move if i install timber groves or airlift bags this shuold help right

air bags will definitely help stifle the porpoising. have you tried to adjust the 4 way hitch? i had to work with my 26' for a while with my reverse-leveled ram. once i went to 2/5 drop, i had to adjust again. the video below helped me out a ton with this.

airbags are so cheap that its usually the first mod i do. between airbags and adjust hitch you should be able to get your trailer dialed in perfectly

OP
OP
mh3c

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I replaced the rear springs and eliminated the porpoising. Now I want to reduce the sag which is why I'm looking at the airbags.

Factory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I tow a 2018 35’ 9750 gvw with my 17 1500, added hellwig rear sway bar, 12 k lb Reese equalizing hitch setup with airlift 1000’s at 35psi , sits level and tows fine . The reason I didn’t go with Better bags is I’ll be towing maybe 6 times this year , my 1500 will go back to being my fun truck and in the spring I’ll purchase a 2500 6.4 4:10 truck just to tow this, I take my time and realize I’m in a half ton , I have no issues .

cody mummert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow a 2018 35’ 9750 gvw with my 17 1500, added hellwig rear sway bar, 12 k lb Reese equalizing hitch setup with airlift 1000’s at 35psi , sits level and tows fine . The reason I didn’t go with Better bags is I’ll be towing maybe 6 times this year , my 1500 will go back to being my fun truck and in the spring I’ll purchase a 2500 6.4 4:10 truck just to tow this, I take my time and realize I’m in a half ton , I have no issues .
think i am going with the timber grove i also have a 16' trailer i pull from time to time for fire wood so i am thinking even for that i would like the bags. thanks for the help guys

OP
OP
mh3c

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
think i am going with the timber grove i also have a 16' trailer i pull from time to time for fire wood so i am thinking even for that i would like the bags. thanks for the help guys

Just placed my order. They get here next week. I also ordered the Wireless One kit to charge them.

Gordinho80

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Airlift 1000s in my Ram now. I haven't towed with them yet, though. I ride with them at 10psi and I love how they've slightly stiffened up the rear of the truck. I opted to run a line for each bag. This way, sway from the truck won't force air out of one and into the other. I don't know how beneficial that is, if at all, just how I did it. I have my valves located to the right of the rear license plate.

I had them in my lifted 2004 Trailblazer and I loved them back then. And they are very inexpensive and easy to install.

AirLift Bags came in the mail from Amazon today. Found a "used" set in market place but they were like new, the bag with the fittings had not even been opened.

5alzEEbFYeTRTmQP8AP3H2GzUL4u43B80r73RVDw0q_Y=w2400.jpg

AtGYI7QXIgKl4hAl-oCtUVz9lp_yrX7bhPCZE_cZjWbY=w2400.jpg

Bags set to 10psi

fhQoNO_4ptST7NS8kj1OObSVl8-kYuk2P-64AuHLwXSo=w2400.jpg

bjohnston0624

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have airlift 5000 I believe. Inflated all to about 20lb and you riding stiff. I ride daily with 10lb pulling my detailing trailer and it is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk