AlfaOBD and AGM Batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi All,

So the original lead acid battery finally died in the truck after 6 years of good service. So as a replacement i installed an Interstate AGM battery hoping for 6 or more years of good service. I know enough about battery chemistries to relaalize that AGM batteries really do not like to be charged with the same voltage levels as Lead Acid, an long term can lead to damage of the AGM battery. Does anyone know if we can change algorithms for battery charging via AlfaOBD.
Your input is greatly appreciated

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Only battery options from my 2019 BCM:

CBC Features:
IBS3 Battery Capacity (0-252 Ah): 254.000 Ah
IBS3 Parameterized Type of Battery Mode: Signal Not Avaiable

Battery:
IBS3 Battery Equivalent Capacity (9000-405000): 90000.000 %
IBS Quiescence Current Limit (-250-0 mA): -250.000 mA
IBS Minimum Voltage Limit (0-25.4 V): 10.000 V
IBS3 Minimal Charge Limit (0-100%): 250.000 %
IBS3 Battery Parameterization Kind- Battery Mode: Use Battery Type
IBS3 Vehicle Battery Type (0-63): 1.000

IBS Minimum Charge Limit (0-2500mA): 350.000 mA

Not sure if any of those refer to battery type so don't know if it's user set or automatically detected. Hopefully more will be along with more intimate knowledge.

My lead acid battery died around the 2 year point and I went AGM and one size larger. I did not change any settings and did not seem to have any issues for the 2 years before I sold it.

Some of the settings don't make sense (outside the spec) so don't know if it's for all trucks or trucks with AGM and eTorque. My truck was non-eTorque and had a lead acid battery.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is interesting stuff. I’ve read a post or two on this forum that stated if the negative battery lead is disconnected for 30 minutes or more it resets the IBS system. I have no way of actually verifying this but it sounded good. I’ll remove my old battery at home and go get a replacement for install that way it’s disconnected for more than 30 minutes. I too have never noticed anything different as far as operation and system codes while using my AGM battery. I’d sure like to know the real scoop on batteries and modern technology/charging systems.

OP
OP
H

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you very much for this information. That is exactly what i needed. Now off to find the new information from interstate.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
...I’d sure like to know the real scoop on batteries and modern technology/charging systems.
I do know there are different charging strategies between types as well as age of the battery. As vehicles have gotten smarter (and more sensors) they are maximizing engine performance and longevity based on live sensor readings. It's still physically a charging system but now it can be controlled for a favorable use of what is installed, especially when there are options ("regular" vehicles get a lead acid battery and start-stop/hybrid vehicles get AGM due to additional cycling of the engine from what I've seen).

I have a VW sedan that had a lead acid battery (no hybrid or start/stop "technology"). I switched to an AGM after it puked (I believe that the computer wasn't reset for this replacement battery). Turns out I have to have the programming changed not only to an AGM charging strategy but I also have to reset the strategy to the beginning of life. Luckily I have the VW version of AlfaOBD to do this otherwise this would have cost several hundred dollars.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've been running a big assed Group 34 AGM in my relocated battery box for 6 years with no issues on my 14. Battery does get disconnected alot though,as every track the truck races at,checks to make sure the master disconnect switch in the back bumper shuts the truck off.

Attachments

• IMG_3999.JPG
    IMG_3999.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2923.JPG
    IMG_2923.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 11

M376X6

Reaction score
Ram Year
1963, 1965, 1983, 1984, 1985, 2022
Engine
Mopar
I had a 2019 Charger Hellcat that because the battery was located in the trunk it was an AGM type. Because I live at 8,550 feet in elevation there were months I didn't drive the car. During the first December through February I didn't even go down to the garage to start it. The battery did not like this and decided to have issues. The dealer tested it, as I later admitted to, and decided it was bad. They didn't offer much of an adjustment on a less than year 1 old battery so I bought a better AGM for less than their price with adjustment. I discovered AGMs don't like to sit for long periods of time with a slow steady drain on them from the electronics that need a minimum constant power. I also installed an AGM rated smart charger/analyzer and would plug it in every time it went back into the garage. 3 1/2 years later when I traded it in the battery hadn't had any issues. Isn't an issue I would imagine for folks who drive their vehicles regularly or often enough to keep the AGM battery happy.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had poor results from using an AGM in my ATVs. I've had to replace them each year for three years straight and during hunting season they come close to failing during the cold. I'm afraid to go AGM when it's time to replace the battery in the truck.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 112373 miles.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had poor results from using an AGM in my ATVs. I've had to replace them each year for three years straight and during hunting season they come close to failing during the cold. I'm afraid to go AGM when it's time to replace the battery in the truck.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 112373 miles.

Were the ATVs used regularly or was an AGM-compatible smart charger used if they sat for any extended periods?

And living in NY, did you keep the batteries inside during the winter months with a trickle charger connected?

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve had 2 agm batteries. Usually last 10yrs no issues. Any battery that sits long will go dead. Li are the worst imo. The agm batteries have no vent’s. So mfg will use em in place’s like the trunk. My truck is a old 04 hemi. Had no issue with the agm’s . Loose & bad connections will shorten all batteries life. Old trucks keep looking better

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Were the ATVs used regularly or was an AGM-compatible smart charger used if they sat for any extended periods?

And living in NY, did you keep the batteries inside during the winter months with a trickle charger connected?

My ATVs are not used regularly, but when dormant I keep a AGM-compatible trickle charger on them. They are called into service a few times a year, with the exception of hunting season when they are used daily for at least a week.

In the winter months one is stored in my garage which usually maintains a temperature 10-20 degrees higher than the outside temp.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 112503 miles.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the winter months one is stored in my garage which usually maintains a temperature 10-20 degrees higher than the outside temp.

I haven't had much luck leaving the AGM lawn tractor battery in the garage over the winter.
As you described, they only last 1 season before becoming marginal.

My garage is a 2-car built-in and is usually about 10 degrees warmer until I open a door to fetch something.

I've become quite regimented at bringing the battery inside during the winter and periodically applying a low-current smart charger.

I just checked the battery service date, It's just over 7 years old and still very capable. :cool:

zrock

Reaction score
AGM are interswapable with standard batteries without having to change anything they will work and charge perfectly fine. Are you sure your not thinking lipo and another battery structure..

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AGM are interswapable with standard batteries without having to change anything they will work and charge perfectly fine. Are you sure your not thinking lipo and another battery structure..

The threads are much easier to follow if you quote whomever you are addressing instead of leaving us to guess.

The edit feature will easily allow you to add a quotation. :cool:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is interesting stuff. I’ve read a post or two on this forum that stated if the negative battery lead is disconnected for 30 minutes or more it resets the IBS system. I have no way of actually verifying this but it sounded good. I’ll remove my old battery at home and go get a replacement for install that way it’s disconnected for more than 30 minutes. I too have never noticed anything different as far as operation and system codes while using my AGM battery. I’d sure like to know the real scoop on batteries and modern technology/charging systems.
Per the lead Mechanic at RAM House: When I went in with charging issues after replacing a Bad/Dead battery from Autozone and charging indicators was all over the place: Disconnect for 2-4 hours, to totally drain system of all residual information to include memory on charging rates from previous battery. NOW understand, this means that the truck engine computer modules will be unlearned and all the computer modules will have to talk to each other to relearn and adapt. When I did mine, it took (4) complete Drive Cycles to get my "Cruise" back, just an example.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Per the lead Mechanic at RAM House: When I went in with charging issues after replacing a Bad/Dead battery from Autozone and charging indicators was all over the place: Disconnect for 2-4 hours, to totally drain system of all residual information to include memory on charging rates from previous battery. NOW understand, this means that the truck engine computer modules will be unlearned and all the computer modules will have to talk to each other to relearn and adapt. When I did mine, it took (4) complete Drive Cycles to get my "Cruise" back, just an example.

I actually used one of your previous posts on this topic. When I replaced my battery I took the old one out, left the truck sit for an hour while I went to get a new battery and installed the new one around the two hour mark. Never had a problem, good advice and easy enough to do.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually used one of your previous posts on this topic. When I replaced my battery I took the old one out, left the truck sit for an hour while I went to get a new battery and installed the new one around the two hour mark. Never had a problem, good advice and easy enough to do.
Added: Not my advice sir, I got edumacated at the Dealership. I know the lead mechanic a lil, and he brought me into the garage, showed me the OBD II readouts from my truck and such, and explained the system in dumbed down enuf terms for dis Dumb Boird to understand, lol.

CAVEAT: Sometimes it helps to repost a lil, as some PPL do not do enuf research and just want instantaneous answers instead of reading the thread more and see their question had already been answered.